Looking to upgrade Flashers: Looking for Suggestions

• WarEagle

I’m a Marcum guy for the most part. I have had a Lx-5 for 14 years now and I think its time to upgrade. Looking at either the lx-7 or the rt-9. Anybody have any info on which one is a better flasher unit?

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I’m a Marcum guy for the most part.

Sorry I have no advice for you, however I always wonder when one limits themselves by that “marriage”? There are plenty of fishes in the sea…(or lake or river). I have Vexilar flashers, but a Marcum camera. I drive a Ford but I’d buy a Chevy if it was the best option when I was looking to buy. Maybe even a Dodge… jester

big_g
    Isle, MN

I had a LX9 and sold that and got a LX6… much happier with the LX6 as it is less bulky.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I had a LX9 and sold that and got a LX6… much happier with the LX6 as it is less bulky.

That and I bet you drive a Dodge… smile

WarEagle

Does anyone have the RT-9? Is it worth the extra money?

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I have a lx 7 and really like it, but I would get a helix 7 before the rt9.

CaptainMusky

I have a lx 7 and really like it, but I would get a helix 7 before the rt9.

I would agree with this comment. Get a helix, hook/elite, or garmin before the rt-9. That has been an utter failure by most accounts.
    If you really want/need the ability to hook a camera to it, then go with an HDS 9. You could possibly use an HDS 7 with an adapter. Then you can just plug a Marcum camera into those units.

Christian Slick

I’d spring for the Lx-7 with a lithium shuttle. Very light and lasts a long time even with that bright screen. I’m with the rest of the guys saying the RT-9 isn’t worth it… just never resonated with many people. The LX-7 display and graph are definitely a step up over something like a Helix.

404 ERROR
    MN

I have seen VERY little positive user experiences with the RT-9, not to mention the horrendous re-sale value. If you’re stuck on Marcum, then buy the LX-7. If you aren’t, check out the Helix 7 G2 or FLX-20/28. You may find you like them better… I have owned or used them all and settled on the FLX-28 for the incredible clarity and definition. Graph mode is a cool feature of the 7 G2 and LX-7, but I don’t see it as a selling point.

I like Andy’s comparison here, except I would never own a Fiat…even if it had a Cummins…

Christian Slick

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>WarEagle wrote:</div>

Sorry I have no advice for you, however I always wonder when one limits themselves by that “marriage”? There are plenty of fishes in the sea…(or lake or river). I have Vexilar flashers, but a Marcum camera. I drive a Ford but I’d buy a Chevy if it was the best option when I was looking to buy. Maybe even a Dodge… jester

Not sure why people dog on someone just because they like one brand over the over. No different than sticking to one type of rod or reel. If a company has treated you right and you like their products, so be it.

Dylan Salow

Love my LX-7 especially with the bigger screen. Ended up pairing it with a lithium shuttle and it has made it even more user-friendly. I’d definitely recommend finding one somewhere and just playing around with it see what you like.

Geerdes
    Brandon, SD 57005

Not sure why people dog on someone just because they like one brand over the over. No different than sticking to one type of rod or reel. If a company has treated you right and you like their products, so be it.

Isn’t brand loyalty what all businesses want and thrive on?

Wife has LX6s, I have a LX6 and we have an LX5 as a backup. Happy with all units.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

I used to be brand loyal but it seems like too many brands have changed their quality. Now I just do my research and buy what I believe is the better product. I would not buy the RT-9.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

The RT-9 is to flashers, what past Strikemaster Electric Augers are to augers

…a flop

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Walleyestudent Andy Cox wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>WarEagle wrote:</div>

Sorry, my intention was not to “dog on” you. I was only suggesting to not limit yourself when there are many other options, using some uninvited humor I guess. There are already others that posted choices other than Marcum.

I’ll just stay out of it next time, sorry again I was no help to you. sad

Tom Dace

I was a vexilar guy for close to three decades. The miserable experience I had with an FLX28 changed that. Now I have an LX7 and couldn’t be happier. I run it on my boat and use it in the winter. The graph feature is invaluable because it provides a history of what was there. I can look up at tip ups and not miss something that came through like you do without it. The graph history gives a view of a jigging cadence that brought something in. You don’t have that with a standard dial flasher.

I would suggest seeing them in use on the ice in person. Reading stuff online can only tell you so much. I know a bunch of happy FLX28 owners. Good for them. The one I had was a turd that wouldn’t work from the start. Changing transducers, batteries, etc. never improved it. It wasn’t one that fell in the recall range. It was just an absolute lemon. Oh well…I’m hindsight I’m glad it worked out the way it did because I feel that the LX7 is a superior unit.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

I have an LX6 and the wife has the LX6S (newer version of the LX6), no complaints with either. Going on 5+yrs with the LX6

Skol
    Lake City

I am a Marcum guy but my loaylity can be purswaded. I’ve owend the LX3, LX5 and currently own a LX7. After hearing the Hummingbird sales pitch at the Ice show about the Helix chirp 7 I ended up buying one to see if it lived up to the hype. FF ran a sale on it and I got it for a really good price.

After a month of solid use, the helix is a decent unit but it is now my backup unit to my LX7. I went into using the Bird with an open mind and to see if I would be a Hummingbird guy at the end of the season. Don’t get me wrong there are some features that are nice on the bird but the Marcum is a superior unit when it comes down to the flasher marking side of fishing. For location and GPS, the bird stands alone and is awesome. For someone that wants a combination of a flasher and GPS-lakemap combo the Helix can save a guy some money.
    The hummingbird isn’t for sale, but will be my backup unit and on the boat in the summer.

Happy hooking!!!

jagermeister
    NW Ontario

Had a fl 8,18 and 20 then tried the lx 7 will never go back to a vex. Also Marcum offers a flat rate for repair, I believe vex does not ( if I’m wrong please correct me as my vex needs repair). They all break at least mine do. Next unit would be a lx 6s but with the shuttle the lx7 is comfortable to handle and fits nicely in a bucket which was my complaint as most of my fishing is done from a snow mobile.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.