Looking for an auto mechanic

• gordonk
    Inactive

I used to have a gem of a mechanic. Honest, reasonable and not that far from where I work, but he just retired. I’m in the market for a good one. I’ve been to far, too, many that are just plain old outright crooks. “Oh, you need new calipers!” or, “Your main fan belt has a big crack in it. I can put a new one in for you today.” You know they are full of *%#@!, because you just had that done.

I work downtown Mpls, so something within ten or twelve miles would be best, so I can drop the truck off, (it’s a Ford F150), and bike to work, but for a legit guy, I’d be happy to drive over and wait.

If you know of such a guy, or are one, do the world a favor and give him some sugar. It’ll make sure he’s still in business when you need him next. And my engine is missing a bit from 40 t0 50 mph and I’ll need it taken care of pronto.

Thank you

hottoddytipup
    Crystal

I would also be interested in such a person.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’ve got one in Crystal, but I hesitate to refer anyone to them because they’ll be busy next time I need them! )

Seriously, though, JPT Services is awesome. Good prices, honest, and they don’t try to upsell you.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I feel your pain. Sorry, but I have a rant from just this week.

Just had my 2014 GMC into the dealership for a rear differential leak. Turns out they did not assemble the rear differential correctly when they replaced a bad bearing last month. All of this is under warranty, but with every visit I get less and less confident in the quality of the techs there. This is the second swing/miss on a warranty repair.

And of course, there was a “by the way”… service manager pointed out my struts are leaking. Would I like to have this done “as long as I’m there” for a mere $1100!!!!! Are you freaking kidding me? First off, these struts should NOT be leaking at this mileage level. Second, a little research revealed that this is a MASSIVE issue with GM SUVs and should be covered under a recall. Finally, $1100 for replacing faulty struts is a brazen ripoff. No other way to put this.

I want a good mechanic east of St. Paul!

Grouse

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I know of two but on the east side.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Kurths auto repair. My old friend from grade school and his dad own the shop. They are good honest people that I’ve known for some time.

Greg and Jim’s off Duluth st are also hardworking honest dudes. Recommend both equally.

Obviously there are simple boneheaded mechanic mistakes that happen, but IMO, there are so many variables fixing a vehicle. What a customer describes can be so misleading to what’s actually wrong with no fault to either party.

I like shops that I trust, and if something is awry I know it wasn’t bc of bad intentions.

Most shops are suffering from mechanic shortages. So many of these mistakes we see nowadays are due to shops simply taking whatever they can get in attempt to keep up with demand.

TipUpFishOn

Grouse – sounds like you’ve gotten a double dose of a poor mechanic and a few manufacturing faults from GMC (not trying to start any debate, could care less, just saying..). A 2014 shouldn’t have bad bearings or leaking struts already unless you’ve driven that thing into the ground for 2-3 years. I would try contacting GMC directly to discuss the leaking strut issue if it’s that common and you have lower miles. I would they’d be able to do more for you than a dealership. My father works at the walser Buick GMC dealership in Bloomington, they do good work. Not east of st. paul but maybe worth a shot.

As to the OP and Ralph’s post, I second JPT Services. I grew up in Crystal and have taken past vehicles there, it’s a good shop.

sorgy

look at Myron’s in Lake Elmo- Co 14 just East of 694- several co-workers have had work done there for years.

Terry’s Repair just north of Hugo has been outstanding for me. He tends to be busy, but for good reason.

Steve Kracht

“Beaches” in New Brighton. North of 694, on Long Lake road.

troutbum
    St. Paul

Lancer. Downtown St. Paul. Ive been going to them for five years. My trailblazer is nearing 200k. They have free loaner vehicles.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I can recommend JL Auto Service up in Osseo. Ive been going to him for about 10 years now. There have been several times I have taken my truck to him over the years and he has called me back telling me to not bother fixing this or that because the cost wont be worth it or that the part is not that worn out and will last a while longer. Often times he has fixed something that was very simple for free for me. That tells me hes honest cause he basically gave me his time for free and didn’t try to sell me crap I didn’t need. His rates are very low as well and he typically has a quick turn around time but he can be pretty busy sometimes.

catnip
    south metro

Carcare advanced auto in eagan. They have loaner cars also if you give them some advanced not use.
    Gordon k it sounds like you have a coil going out, that is a classic sign.

carver
    West Metro

well if someone need a shop on the good old west side…..Dale Feste in hopkins is great.

gordonk
    Inactive

Thanks for all the tips. I’m looking into some of them already. And more are appreciated. I know the mechanics don’t mind the press and since there’s so much negative press, it’s good to give out the props for those doing good work.

zooks

A guy at work goes to Turbo Tim’s in NE Mpls and is happy with it, would be an easy bike ride for you into down town as well. He’s picky with his cars and currently has them service his RX-8 so they see all shapes and kinds of repairs.

Good luck with what you decide.

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

I’ve got one in Crystal, but I hesitate to refer anyone to them because they’ll be busy next time I need them! )

Seriously, though, JPT Services is awesome. Good prices, honest, and they don’t try to upsell you.

I agree with Ryan….these guys are incredible….

Pete

gordonk
    Inactive

Thanks for all the suggestions. I’m going to keep track of all of them, but went with Lancers in St. Paul. The reviews were great and it’s only a few blocks from the light rail. I can jump on the train and get off one block from the office.

I told them where I got the recommendation. I hope this thread helps keep a couple of good mechanics in business. They are as rare as a good fishing spot, but in this case, you want everyone to know about them so that they’ll be there the next time you need them.

tim hurley

Well call Lancers and ask how much a waterpump would cost for your car then call the place I PM’d you about. They are also right on the LRT-and the work is solid.
    Good luck to you, and hats off to all smart honest mechanics you are under appreciated by most (but not me!)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.