Looking for a suggestion on making deer sausage

• Tritoon
    Austin, MN

Couple of years ago I found my grandpas deer sausage recipe, I made some up and it was just like I remembered when he made it.

He made it by stuffing the venison/mix into empty soup cans, and baking in oven for 5 hrs

I would like any suggestions on making this sausage in larger batches, and looking for ideas that may streamline the process, where I can make larger quantities without using a ton of soup cans, or even do away with the cans, but I am unsure that if put the venison mix into a casing and smoked it, if it would take away the flavor of the original recipe

any ideas and suggestions????

sand-burr
    Grasston, MN

I think we would all enjoy the “Soup Can Sausage” recipe!!!

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

You might want to Google “Cooking in cans”. Not recommended. I’d search for the right size cooking container instead. waytogo

-J.

jake47
    WI

Depending on the temp, you may be able to put the meat in a casing and bake it. Not sure at what temp the casings will begin to split, but a friend hot smokes his venison sausage and I think the temp is around 225-250 with no breakage.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Essentially he was just making a loaf. You could use any oven safe bakeware such as Pyrex, corning or even aluminum and get same/similar results. Covering with tinfoil as needed and adjusting cook time bases on internal desired temps.

I say it is worth trying in a smoker with casings. Keep in mind you can pull it at any time and finish it in the oven or even boiling water, again monitoring internal temp to now when it is done.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

You want to be certain to put some pink cure or Mortons Tender Qwik in that recipe if it doesn’t call for it now. Anything heated in the oven below that’s below a “cooking” temperature can breed bacteria like crazy. Same goes for anything put in a smoker. I make 0 sausage but what cure goes into it with breakfast sausage being the exception since its packaged and frozed inside of two hours.

You can roll the seasoned meat into logs about 2-2 1/2″ thick and then wrapped in foil and heated in the over until the internal temp hits 160 as long as cure of some sort has been used.

You’ll get the best results using the casings.. If the sausage a couple hours in a smoker then finish in the oven at 190 degrees with the door cracked open a hair. Use a digital thermometer to check the internal temp and when it reads 160 degrees just pull the sausage and let it cool naturally, provided you have used a cure in the meat. Finished sticks can be wrapped in freezer wrap and frozen.

Tritoon
    Austin, MN

Thanks for all the advice. I will try a batch using casings and report back my findings

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.