Looking For A New Gps Unit Need Advice

• Forrest Brenske

Im looking to put a GPS unit in my new ranger for ice season and am stuck on which brand I should go with for the best mapping and depth charts. I primarily fish northern MN LOTW and Devils Lake.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I’m sure you’ll have many options and most will work great

I use my old Lowrance HDS 5 unit. Love it works great. Picks up signal fast…(faster than my HDS 8 gen 2).

I’d opt for going similar to this route. Find an older gen unit on clist. Just make sure it can handle a new map card.

Tom Anderson
    Kasson, MN

If quality mapping is all you’re looking for, it needs to be a humminbird with a lakemaster chip. This is coming from a Garmin owner

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

We were on LOTW fishing the Adrians houses and decided to fish the gap without any gps. Simple enough, plenty of roads, easily see shore.
    Started raining, got dark, then the fog rolled in! Could not see 10 feet in front of you. Holy hanna was I scared.
    Never will I be without GPS on a frozen lake.
    Picked up the Helix 7 and a chip. Problem solved.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Didn’t have your phone eelpout?

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Didn’t have your phone eelpout?

Funny story, I caught my PB eye that day and my phone died, my Cousin left his phone back at the cabin. So no pic of my fish either. cry

Forrest Brenske

We were on LOTW fishing the Adrians houses and decided to fish the gap without any gps. Simple enough, plenty of roads, easily see shore.
    Started raining, got dark, then the fog rolled in! Could not see 10 feet in front of you. Holy hanna was I scared.
    Never will I be without GPS on a frozen lake.
    Picked up the Helix 7 and a chip. Problem solved.

ok right now the three options I’m looking at is the helix 7 gps g2, elite-7 ti2 and the Echomap plus 65cv. which Garmin unit and what chip do you use?

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP GPS G2 with a Lakemaster chip.
    I have it mounted to the Griz.I also ordered the cig lighter adaptor.
    I have been using a 5 and 7 for open water, 7 is for gps only and 5 for locating fish.
    I’ve noticed the 7 is approx. 20 feet off for actual mapping depths that’s close enough then I let the 5 zero in.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Sucks when that happens eelpout, glad you made it off ok!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.