Looking for a boat

• Outdraft
    Western Wi.

What can i expect to get for 10- 15000 ?I like to troll, bass fish and panfish.Is it possible to get a 17 footer with a counsel and a motor that will push it 35 mph or more as we mostly run the miss. I realise this is a general question but I know there are many on this site with excellent inputs. Thanks for any and all responses

bigpike

I also am looking in the 15k range in the next year or so. My expectations are : 17-18′ aluminum hull: 150 motor: decent electronics and foot pedal trolling motor. Should be able to get everything I want in a boat roughly 10 years old. Based on the market this should be doable. Keep looking around, the more you look the more you learn…

Whateverbites

Last year i picked up a 07 17′ lund mr pike, just a bit more than your budget, but you should be able to find something similar for under 15k

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

To answer your question, yes you should be able to get that for that price, but you will probably be looking in the 2000-2008 year range.

Just a fair warning, the boat you describe will be in high demand this spring. Do your homework and be ready to commit to buy and have cash on hand. I was looking for the same thing last year and for me personally it was not a fun experience. Good Luck

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mike-west wrote:</div>
    Many Boats have been sold and purchased through Walleye Central
    Here’s Link
    Happy Shopping

http://www.walleyecentral.com/classified/searchresults

Is it just me, or are many those prices significantly higher than they should be, and compared to C-List?

Most of these are on C-List too, so no.

I’ve had great luck with Walleye Central. I’ve never had a boat last a week on there.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Is there a timeframe in which you want to buy?

There was actually a pretty good boat grab last fall as well. Had more than a few boats whisp away before I could get to them. Maybe it was my specific model looking at.

In the end though, last minute season options can be a really good deal. Got 18 1/2′ with a gem of a 120hp for less than $4k.

Chad Luebker
    Annandale, MN

I was looking for a used boat for the past month or so. It was a frustrating search. A lot of boats I saw were 10-12 years old and with a price tag between $17,000 to $20,000 – if you are looking for a 4 stroke engine. Some I feel were undersized with a 12 year old 65 pound thrust trolling motor and a 12 year old graph. Start upgrading that stuff and you are adding another $2,500. Will those boats sell for close to asking price – most likely! I started looking new and didn’t look back because for $30,500 you can purchase a new 18.5 Alumacraft with a 150 4 stroke motor, 3 seats, trailer, etc. If you don’t need a 18.5 boat and a 150 you can get into a 17.5 alumacraft boat for probably $5,000 less. That doesn’t include tax, title and license or any trolling motor or locator. However, I wanted to make the right purchase and hopefully be set for 10+ years. Not saying new is the way to go just depends on the person and if they want monthly payments. I also didn’t want to take a chance on a 12 year old motor, boat, old graphs, and trolling motors for close to $20,000 either. Good deals can be found but like someone else said have cash and get there within 24 hours or it’s sold!!!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Scott Moe has a well taken care of Lund

Selling my 2000 Lund Pro V 1775
    $10,000. Suzuki 70 EFI. Has a 80 pound 3X trolling motor and 80 Maximum cable driven front trolling motor. Hummingbird 858c HD down imaging, Lowrance LcX-15 and LcX-18 c. Top Gun snap tarp.

PM me for his contact info if interested.

Attachments:
    1. 17098502_10202818668703546_3650148984583639342_n.jpg

Ryan P
    Farmington

Finding a boat in that price range should be alright…I think the problem a lot of people run into is financing. Some banks won’t touch older boats so you may have to shop around a little if you are planning to finance it.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

The problem I had buying a used boat was they would only be on CL for hours if it was a good boat for a fair price. Be ready and look multiple times a day. Do some googling on how to look over a used boat to make sure you are not buying someone else lemon. Cash in hand is key. Good luck.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Finding a boat in that price range should be alright…I think the problem a lot of people run into is financing. Some banks won’t touch older boats so you may have to shop around a little if you are planning to finance it.

that was why I bought new. credit union would only offer half of market value for a loan.

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Like I mentioned above, it was brutal. I had a CL notifier app and if a good deal came across the wire I was hitting the road as I was dialing the number. Even then I missed out on several deals because I wasn’t quick enough. Heck even the boat I finally got, I just happened to luck out because the first guy had some car trouble and couldn’t make it the first night. So as I was checking over the boat I noticed a slip of paper with 12 names and numbers on them after mine, this was literally hours after it was listed. It was crazy….

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I recently sold my used Lund boat. I had 31 email messages, north of 50 text messages, and a handful of people asking if they could see it the same day it was posted. It was sold within 24 hours of putting it on Craigslist.

I’ve been researching used boats since the Fall, and the best bargains are generally in the 10-16k range. Once you get out of this range, I’ve found the consideration toward buying new with a warranty has to be made. Why would you pay $28k for a 3 or 4 year old 17-18′ Alumacraft, when at the MPLS Boat Show there were 17-18 foot Alumacrafts brand new with 140-150hp 4 strokes going out the door for 26-28k? I nearly pulled the trigger on one that included a 140hp Suzuki, Helix 9, 80lb terrova, cover, and a helix 5 at the bow for $27995. I am still kicking myself over assuming I could find a used one for a few grand cheaper that was in great shape.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

you guys are making me want to put my boat up for sale lol. Hell I might make a profit on it

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Just what I was thinking Crappie…and all the stink bait smell is out of it too!

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

Wow, thank you for the replies, definitely some great advice and leads

matthewkolden

I recently sold my used Lund boat. I had 31 email messages, north of 50 text messages, and a handful of people asking if they could see it the same day it was posted. It was sold within 24 hours of putting it on Craigslist.

I’ve been researching used boats since the Fall, and the best bargains are generally in the 10-16k range. Once you get out of this range, I’ve found the consideration toward buying new with a warranty has to be made. Why would you pay $28k for a 3 or 4 year old 17-18′ Alumacraft, when at the MPLS Boat Show there were 17-18 foot Alumacrafts brand new with 140-150hp 4 strokes going out the door for 26-28k? I nearly pulled the trigger on one that included a 140hp Suzuki, Helix 9, 80lb terrova, cover, and a helix 5 at the bow for $27995. I am still kicking myself over assuming I could find a used one for a few grand cheaper that was in great shape.

My wife and I were in that same boat. We had absolutely planned to wait til the boat show to buy, until a 2014 Alumacraft dominator popped up for 27k. Motor had 25 hours on it, two lowrance graphs, Bimini, travel cover, 150 Merc, eagle bunk trailer, 5 seats, 5 rod holders, terrova, two battery chargers etc etc. 27k at the boat show still wouldn’t get you quite that equipped I don’t think. Walleye central always has tons of boats listed, and a lot of really good deals.

The SCRATCHER
    spring valley mn

my nephew just bought a new boat and selling his 17′ crestliner loaded I think 18k 150 merc with 9.9 merc kicker 40 plus mph st francis area. he bought new I think 7 years ago

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

Scratcher, that is interesting, from what I see most are under gunned,and that’s exactly what I don’t want

The SCRATCHER
    spring valley mn

ok well good luck! was just throwing it out there!

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

A 17′ Crestliner with a 150 shouldn’t be under powered.

The SCRATCHER
    spring valley mn

yes not sure what he is thinking!! but I just called for his info and its sold!

deertracker

I don’t think he was saying it was under powered. I think he was saying that it was interesting not seeing one under powered.
    DT

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

My mistake, I didn’t see it was a 17 footer, you are correct Dutch it wouldn’t be under powered

tim hurley

Just accept that the trolling motor will be under powered and you will have to upgrade that part, still a lot cheaper than new. If you wait for everything to be perfect and cheap you will wait forever. Good Luck (oh and you people who buy new, beef up your trolling motors a little ever hear of wind!)

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

Ya Tim, that’s also a good point, I’ve fished the river my whole life, working the wing dams plus the flow requires power, I know my search for a larger boat will come with pros and cons, I love this site with the inputs that everyone has on all subjects that interest me !

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

2006 Skeeter WX 2050 with 300 hp yams, 8lbs T-8,MINKOTA 36V 101 lbs. Is about to get posted on WC.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.