Looking at getting into handloading

• Dustin Tichy

I finally spent some money and bought a hunting pistol! I picked up a S&W 460 XVR 10.5″ hand cannon. Pretty excited to use it this weekend hunting. That being said, ammo is hard to find and incredibly expensive. I picked up a couple of boxes of 454 casull for plinking and getting used to the weight of the pistol. I also bought a box of Federal Barnes Expander rounds (460). I have shot some of these leaving a few for hunting season. The box I bought was 75 bucks and now I can only find them at Federal online for like 94 bucks.

I have enough hobbies already but thinking about adding another into the mix. I don’t see myself going to a range very often at 20 bucks a visit and I live in the northern metro. The only time I really get to shoot for fun is when I get up north visiting family and shooting in the woods or fields. I won’t be going though hundreds of shells a year, maybe 50?

So here comes the question. I know there are a few on here that are into reloading. What do you recommend for the best value, reloading set up? I see these crazy progressive machines, but I am not planning on arming a town. Some plinking ammo and some hunting ammo. If I really enjoy it I may also reload some 308 for my rifle but that is not really in the mix. (Takes me years to blow through a box of shells, only takes one to drop a deer and I don’t shoot my rifle much just for target practice)

The next problem I am sure will be finding the dies, cases, powder and bullets I suppose. Like I said I am just starting to think about this and seeing if you experts have any advise for the rookie.

Thanks!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I have deer and varmint hunting with handguns (T/C Contenders) for 20 years now. In your situation with a large-bore handgun and very expensive ammo, you certainly are right to be looking into reloading.

I will tell you that when it comes to handgun hunting, practice really, really matters. With a handgun, I notice the first few practices show just how much shooting skill degrades when you don’t do it a lot. It is nowhere near as easy to shoot even minute-of-softball-size groups with a handgun as compared to shooting a rifle. All mistakes are amplified with a handgun.

So the bottom line is you want to have the ability to practice, which means you need ammo.

So here comes the question. I know there are a few on here that are into reloading. What do you recommend for the best value, reloading set up?

I have handloaded for most of my life, as a kid I was apprenticed to my father who took up the hobby in the late 1950s.

Do NOT be talked into a progressive press. All the cool kids want to run one nowadays, but reloading is a PROCESS and to truly understand the process AND be save, you need to work one step at a time. A single-stage press is all you need and all you want.

The best value and most reliable and durable press out there is the RCBS Rock Chucker and the newer Rebel. End of story. I use a 40+ year old Rock Chucker and it’s a freaking warrior. I have logged tens of thousands of rounds on each of the Rock Chuckers I’ve owned, they are a design that simply cannot be improved on.

There are RCBS Rock Chucker and Rebel kits out there that include everything you need to get started. Don’t be blinded by the bling. You don’t need fancy electronic powder charge throwers/ticklers or other gizmos when you’re just getting started. I have loaded in excess of 3000 rounds per year using NOTHING electronic.

As with any hobby, when you first get started it’s hard to determine what is a necessity vs what is a “nice to have” to speed up a processs or to increase productivity. Stick with the basics and only add things when you understand what will really benefit you.

To get started, you need:
    Reloading press
    Primer seating system, either hand or press-attached
    Dies and shell holders for cartridges you intend to load
    Powder scale – manual balance or digital.
    Powder charge measure
    Case block to hold cases
    Case lube and lube pad
    Micrometer
    Loading data – Either online sources or hard-cover book manuals or a combination of the two.

Soon after you start, you will want to add case cleaning and prep tools, but these are not necessary to just get started.

Finally, a word on reloading and safety:

1. Study and understand the basic reloading process including all safety steps and follow it without variation. Do everything the same way, every time.
    2. ONLY use verified load data AND then always cross-check data with at least one additional source to make sure the sources argree. Never use data
    that cannot be verified.
    3. Never skip “safety check” steps that should be part of your process. Always visually inspect each load at the priming stage and the charging stage to verify primer has seated and that each case is charged to a uniform level with no missed cases and no over-charged cases.
    4. Final inspect each round and shake-test (when possible) to ensure each round is charged.
    5. When shooting reloads, know both what a squib/uncharged round is and sounds like and know the signs of over-pressure loads. NEVER shoot again if you suspect a squib or over-pressure load. Pull the bullets, dump charges, and start over.

E4mo

I don’t reload, but I’d love to do it at some point. Even so, I’ve spent hours watching this guy talk about guns and reloading. He’s a gem.

stevenoak

With the component shortage. It seems some guys are giving up and selling eqipt. now. Might be a good time to pick up some good used stuff.

TH

Powder and primers are in short supply. Probably harder to get than loaded ammo. It’s not a good time to take up reloading.

Dave maze
    Isanti

First, forget about saving money by handloading. I got into it this time last year and I’d have to shoot 2000 rounds of 6.5cm to break even.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Grouse is spot on. I’m a novice when it comes to reloading, but I think your situation is perfect for a lower volume system like Grouse mentioned. I agree that components are tough to find now (and maybe not as cost effective vs factory), but I don’t believe that scenario will last. When times were “normal”, I could load rounds for my .25-06 that were better than any factory ammo and were less then half the cost. This really gives me the urge get loading again. I still have plenty of components so I have no excuses.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

irst, forget about saving money by handloading. I got into it this time last year and I’d have to shoot 2000 rounds of 6.5cm to break even.

But you’re not paying $50-90 a box for 6.5 CM as the OP is paying with handgun ammo. With super common ammo like .223, 6.5 CM, 9 MM, the savings are lower.

Also, you have to factor in the fact that I’m able to shoot super-premium ammo for less than the cost of even generic white box. For varmints, I load a .22-250 with a V-max and it’s less than half the cost of buying Superformance ammo, or even standard Federal or Remington. I can do .22-250 at $.40 a round,

Obviously, if your expectation was to pay for your equipment investment in 1 year, you are going to either have to shoot a LOT or will be disappointed, but as a 10-year investment the OP will certainly come out ahead.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

There is a HECK of a deal on reloading equipment in the classifieds right now, and contains everything you would need to get started (I believe from looking at the pictures, didn’t comb them too closely) aside from components and dies.

Beast

Grouse in his 1st post gave you the best advice that you can get on the subject. I’ve been reloading for 35 years, follow the reloading books to the letter, take your time, don’t get distracted. and be as accurate as possible with powder weights and your loads will show it in the groups
    back when I was doing lots of shooting, on a still day and a good shooting bench and outer rest, I could cover 3 shoots with a nickel at 100 yrd. with both my 270 and 30-06.

Iowaboy1

With prices the way the are today reloading your own isnt going to save you a ton but what you will get out of it is another skill set, a fun hobby, and you can load rounds that suit you personally.
    I will warn you it is another rabbit hole to go down just like any other hobby.

There is listing here on IDO with some equipment for sale and it would give you a great start, sure, most of the rounds and dies listed wont work for you but you could use them to load for a friend, or, buy more guns to shoot with !!

Reloading equipment for sale

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Grouse covered it very well. I have only been handloading for 5ish years and its worth every penny. The price of ammo is never going to go down. Plus your handloads will group better than any factory match loads will.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

The price of ammo is never going to go down.

Yes, with the huge run-up in ammo prices due to the shortage, it’s impossible to believe that the prices will go all the way back down to 2019 levels even after all this is over. They got us used to paying more.

For a while in the early 2000s, reloading started making less financial sense due to increased factory ammo production and lower prices. Especially with the common .223/9MM/308 rounds and on the shotgun shell side where trap loads could be had for $5.XX a box.

I’m guessing those days are gone and reloading will again make sense for anyone who shoots a volume of ammo or a less common cartridge. Even with reloading component prices going up, they won’t go up as much as factory ammo.

Dustin Tichy

Thanks everyone for the advice! I have a friend that is willing to let me use his equipment and show me the ropes. All I need to buy is the dies and cases, primers, powder and bullets. Now to find a good reloading book that has 460 S&W to know what to buy for the above items.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.