Longest Work Drive

• Charles

I have a seen a few work related topics and it got me thinking.

Who has the longest commute on this forum? By commute I mean daily drive not staying up a week and OTR drivers don’t count sorry guys. I recently switched jobs and the drive is alright, no traffic but it is where I want to end up eventually living.

I have a 93 mile one way and my boss is hovering around 75 miles.

gixxer01
    Avon, MN

I can’t top that. I travel 61 miles one way and the wife does 72 one way. As a service tech, 4-5 hrs of my day is spent driving.

Anonymous
    Inactive

93!!!!!!!! Way more time than I would want.

30 mile round trip with no traffic here, I’m fortunate.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I feel bad for complaining about my previous commute of 10 miles, which would take 25-30 minutes. And I feel blessed for my new commute of 6 miles and 12 minutes.

Commute for me is one of the biggest factors in deciding on a opportunity. I consider driving work hours and I don’t want a 9+ hour work day. Life is too short. I would consider it of course if it meant a lot more money. My reasoning being that with more money, there is a lot more I could do with my free time.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Right now I’m at 40 miles round trip, but looking at relocating to the family farm house that I inherited. It would be a 120 mile one way commute working four 10 hour days. I would only do it for a year or less until I retire. What I save in rent would pay the extra gas and I might be able to telecommute 1 or 2 days a week.

The only reason I would work another year is to gain 10% on my pension, maybe it’s not worth it and I should just retire.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

The only reason I would work another year is to gain 10% on my pension, maybe it’s not worth it and I should just retire.

I’m retiring in June and my wife has been retired for a year + already. I worked the extra year so that I had more confidence that I could fish/travel when I want without worrying about cost of living cutting into my hobbies. Good luck with whichever decision you make.

munchy
    NULL

There was a girl that I worked with that lived in Red Cedar Wisconsin (south of Menomonie) and worked in Shakopee MN. Like 95 miles and 1:45 each way in good weather. She eventually found a place about 5 miles from her house.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Thanks Dave, now it’s just making the decision of when to hang it up and then do a lot of remodeling work on the farm house. The good thing is I will be able to fish whenever I want.

Charles

^^
    icenutz – You hit the head nail on the head, about the fishing.

However I am putting up with this drive for a year give or take until we find a place in the Baxter – Emily area, wife and I love the area so that made the decision easier. Now once I am up here I can sneak off a little early find some new prime lakes to fish instead the pressured lakes.

404 ERROR
    MN

I used to have an almost 2 hour, 63 mile round-trip commute, I did it for over 2 years and I couldn’t handle it anymore. Currently, I have a 50 minute, 50 mile round-trip commute. I worked with a guy who drove to Eagan from Sandstone everyday…that’s 200 miles a day, 5 days a week…

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I know a guy who drives from Siren, WI to Minneapolis every day. 4-10 hour shifts every week.

I put about 600 miles on a week running appointments.

John Timm

Drive anywhere from 50 miles to 100 or so. 5 days a week all summer. I hate the cities like no other!

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Wow, some of you guys really haul to get to work. Makes me glad I don’t live in a major city, 20 miles one way for me and can do it in just under 25 minutes. If I’m really lucky on the few lighted intersections I have I can get from the house to work only having to stop once, two stops is the most common occurance.

I did about a 40 mile one way commute several years ago that I thought was long, but that’s still only about half some of you guys. I definately would not have my pickup as the daily driver if I was commuting 100+ round trip miles a day.

tonkaiceman
    Hanover, MN

Holy cow….. I drive just under 12 miles to work. 25 minutes at the most one way, including snowy days. Mostly stop lights on my drive in though.

Michael Saal
    Merrill, Wi

4 miles round trip for me but don’t worry about that anymore I retired on Jan.4th.

Kent thompson
    Foreston mn

2 hour round trip daily for me 4 days a week

joshkral

18 block walk to work, 3 block walk to the bar after work, then 18 blocks home. I’m getting sick and tired of going 3 blocks out of my way to get to the bar, time to find something closer.

Palerider77

I used to commute 60 miles one way, light traffic, but the time was a drain on my life. Now I keep the company car in my driveway. Much better deal.

Pete S

Down about a 16 ft hallway and two flights of stairs

KP
    Hudson, WI

I commute from Woodbury MN to Eden Prairie MN. Its about a 30 mile drive for me but in rush hour it takes about 45 minutes to an hour on good ole 494…

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Hudson to W. Bloomington, 4 days a week. Today I opted out, no meetings that I needed to attend. Work from home 1+ day a week.

41.4 miles and takes around 45 – hour. Each way.

One radio station, KFAN all the way!!

ET

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

The past 2 years I had a 62 mile one way drive, one hour each way.. Last fall we moved a little closer to my work and it is now a 30 mile drive, about 30 minutes each way.

I am fairly lucky in that I can set my own schedule for the most part. On average I work 7-4:30, and usually have one evening meeting a week that keeps me there anywhere till 6-9pm. I would say every 4/5 weeks I am able to take Friday’s off due to setting my own schedule and getting everything done that needs to be done.

One radio station, KFAN all the way!!

Couldn’t imagine my entire day without the fan. KFAN in the car, then KFAN on iHeartRadio in my office all day.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

18 block walk to work, 3 block walk to the bar after work, then 18 blocks home. I’m getting sick and tired of going 3 blocks out of my way to get to the bar, time to find something closer.

I’m guessing that the bar is between the house and work and the extra 3 blocks going home from the bar is because you “like the scenic route”. toast

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

I used to live 3 miles from work. We built a new house 30 miles away to get out of the city and on to some land. Now I have a 40 min drive one way, it’s well worth it to me. The commute is not that bad.

Charles

I wish I could get a decent kfan station, my radio cuts out after I hit Milacs lake, then I have to wait till Crosby to listen to it.

I have XM radio at the moment that helps, Yeah driving 200 miles day isn’t that bad if you don’t have any traffic I couldn’t even imagine from the north and going into the cities, I rather have this drive for now. I had a cousin that was living by West Rush and driving back and forth to school at Duluth Tech.

85 miles round trip for me from Forest Lake to Hopkins.

Traffic surprisingly isn’t that bad if I time it right and plan on working from home for a while in the morning. Leave the house at 7:30 and i’ll be at work at 9:00. Leave at 8:15 and i’ll still be to work at 9:00. I envy you guys who have short commutes!

Derreck Moen

I wish I could get a decent kfan station, my radio cuts out after I hit Milacs lake, then I have to wait till Crosby to listen to it.

I have XM radio at the moment that helps, Yeah driving 200 miles day isn’t that bad if you don’t have any traffic I couldn’t even imagine from the north and going into the cities, I rather have this drive for now. I had a cousin that was living by West Rush and driving back and forth to school at Duluth Tech.

I use iheart radio off of my phone as long as there is cell coverage. Doesn’t use very much data at all.

sand-burr
    Grasston, MN

I am 70 miles one way. I think I have a better question. What are you driving all those miles??? or what is your vehicle plan.

I drive a Focus at present time. I am always on the lookout for a 70-80 thousand mile car to put in the fleet. I also get a car for my wife and after 4 years it becomes mine.

hless_jon
    SW Wisconsin

For 2 years I had to drive from north of West Bend, WI to just outside of downtown Chicago, a 153 mile one way trip. I drove back home every day using a company vehicle. The company I worked for changed my offices from Milwaukee to Chicago, I did not want to move to Illinois so I stuck with it as long as I could… I eventually found that the money was not worth the extra time I was putting in on the road and although they did pay very well, some things are worth more than money. On days with traffic or weather, I was not a happy camper. Now I travel 30 miles one way and don’t even think about it…. and did not have to move to Illinois either….

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

I think I have a better question. What are you driving all those miles??? or what is your vehicle plan.

I spent 2 years with a 62 mile one way drive, after a move last fall it’s now 30 miles one way.

I bought a cheap 2007 Dodge Caliber with 100,000 miles on it at the time. It is strictly our commuter vehicle to load the miles onto. I’ve put almost 70,000 miles on it in the last 2 years. It gets good enough gas mileage, about 27 mpg. I more so just needed something that wouldn’t cost me a lot, was mostly reliable, and would allow me to not put all those miles on my (at the time) new 2013 Ram 1500.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.