Long Term Crawler Storage?

• Doug Larsen
    Minnesohtah

Guys I’m getting super juiced as my Canada Trip is about a week away. The problem is it looks like most live bait is an issue either due to regulations or a shortage (Leeches due to regulations, Ciscos due to shortages and regulations on purchase)

I’d like to jig for Walleyes this year, and so the most logical thing to do outside of soft plastics is crawler harnesses, but I’m a rookie with live bait. Haven’t used it much since I was like 14.

Most of the “Crawler Cabin” type stuff I’ve seen is only good for a day or two. What can last for a week or more?

Appreciate any help.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Its been a few years since I’ve brought any live bait into Canada. When I last did, you had to have “artificial” bedding. Make sure you check with Canadian regs for current info

cheers

you can bring crawlers in to Canada as long as they are in worm bedding . No minnows or leaches , smelt are a no no also as they cant be used in certain parts of Ontario for bait.
    Not sure what border crossing point you are going to , I buy crawlers in International Falls at Sportsman Service . They are packed in a small styro box in bedding and the box is 10 dozen for around 24 bucks. I keep them in the beer fridge and they last for weeks no problems . I only take a dozen at a time out when I go fishing and leave the rest in the fridge . You can also buy a flat of crawlers but that is 500 crawlers.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Most of the “Crawler Cabin” type stuff I’ve seen is only good for a day or two. What can last for a week or more?

I use BUSS BED-DING. I can keep crawlers for over two months easy. Mix up the bedding moist not wet and keep them in the fridge waytogo

Note: It’s important to go through them every week or so to take out the couple dead ones. this keeps the bedding fresh.

Attachments:
    1. BUSS-BED-DING.jpg

Tim J
    Duluth, MN

If the water is stained at all, I’d say skip the live bait. Bring some gulp and powerbait and you’re set for jigging. Last year I tried the Uncle Josh pork crawlers and those things are awesome. You can easily get 10 fish out of one of those before needing a new one.

Doug Larsen
    Minnesohtah

Thanks guys – Water is pretty clear so I’ll try Buss!

jwellsy

This is the first time I heard of the Uncle Josh Meat Series. The Youtube videos are interesting. I’d like to try those crawlers on a harness.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.