Live bird source

• trytoofish
    sw Mn.

Those of you that train your own dogs. If you use live birds. WHere do you buy them in Minnesota. Looking for pigeon’s and or quail and maybe chucker?

Sharon
    SE Metro

Oakwood Game Farm in Princeton is where we went to buy pheasants for training our GSP Fritz. They also have Chukar. I don’t think they have Quail. It’s a bit of a drive from the Twin Cities, but the prices are reasonable.
    http://www.oakwoodgamefarm.com/
    [email protected]
    They might have a recommendation on where to purchase pigeons and quail.

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

two sources for pigeons and both require a little leg work:
    1. Hmong. they eat em so you can go to their markets and buy them. you can also set up re-suppoly contracts with mama. don’t deal with the teenagers.

2. Amish. they generally sell in big lots to the pigeon shoots, but will sell as few as 10. Price point rises quite a bit then but still better than the game farms.

Don’t mess with non-feral birds from game farms unless you are only training dead retrieve. Worthless for most upland training except for blooding…

mikegr
    MN

You can get quail from these places but I’m pretty sure they have a minimum order size that you’ll have to check on.

Laitenberger Game Farm
    Minnesota Lake, MN
    507-462-3589

D&B Game Farm
    St. Cloud, MN
    320-764-2632

gunsmith89
    eyota, mn

Some of the things that I have done in the last year is to post an add on craigslist. There were several replies and I did buy some from a few different people. I was also a member of a training club were others brought birds to buy. The cheapest way I found birds was in my buddies barn with my 8ft salmon net and a spotlight. ;)

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

The cheapest way I found birds was in my buddies barn with my 8ft salmon net and a spotlight. ;)

LOL!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.