Lithium for terrova 80lb

• Nodak

I have a small 18 ft Starweld boat equipped with a 24 volt 80 lb thrust terrova. I am currently at the trigger to buy two lithium 12 volt relion batteries and am unsure if 50 ah is enough for an average day casting with some trolling. I live near the lake I fish so I don’t need battery for multiple days without charging and could get a Honda inverter. I just want to make sure I buy the right battery because of the cost. I can go bigger if necessary.

https://relionbattery.com/products/lithium/rb50-hp

milemark_714

You will be ahead of a set-up with flooded acid and most AGM batteries.And with half the weight.Or you could get a single 24V battery that will provide plenty of power.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Check out Dakota Lithium’s website. They have descriptions with each size that may give you an idea of what you’ll need for amp hours.

djshannon
    Crosslake

According to Minn-kota the #80 Terrova draws 56 amp at full speed. A 50 amp/hour battery would provide you with just a little less than an hour of full speed run time.

Most electric motors are not perfect so if you run it at half speed you would probably get an hour and a half.

Most size 31 acid batteries are about 115 amp/hours for most people last a full day.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

This is a tough answer since everyone fishing style is different and weather changes the demand also. Some days you might be OK and some not. My opinion has always been install the biggest battery you can. Also you need to take in account the size of your battery charger. Many people install a 210 reserve capacity battery and only have a 5 amp hour charger. That would be fine if you only fished one day not many in a row since it would take approximately 2 days to charge them.

Nodak

Thanks for the input. I ended up buying bigger lithium batteries. The price was painful but my boat performs so much better with what seems like a trivial amount of weight taken out. I mostly just cast artificials at a creep speed or drift minnows for walleye, not much of a troller. Ill save my heavy interstate batteries in case I ever need to troll consistently. Or maybe get a Honda inverter to charge batteries. Could even hook up the lithiums to the alternator.

Ross Gunderson

Hey Outlander,
    If you don’t mind me asking in what ball park does 2 lithium batteries run? I have 2 27 series for my ulterra 80lb and don’t feel like I get enough life out of them.

milemark_714

Hey Outlander,
    If you don’t mind me asking in what ball park does 2 lithium batteries run? I have 2 27 series for my ulterra 80lb and don’t feel like I get enough life out of them.

If you go with direct replacement(27 series),they are about 920.00/each for 80AH.That’s from Relion as the OP went with.Those in series will give you all the power you need,and then some.But best results come using a charger optimized for LifePo4 batteries.I went with the Power Pole Charge,which is like having 3 chargers in one.Not cheap(1299.99).
    And with this type of battery,you will get full rating whether at 100% charge,or 30%.Electronics run much more efficient,because there is very little voltage drop.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.