Lithium Battery Life

• Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Well it finally happened, after 9 fishing trips/days my lithium battery went dead on my LX-5. 5 full days of fishing and 4 other afternoon/morning trips this year I finally found a dead lithium battery. I did this on purpose just to see how long of a life I could get on this battery from a full charge to a dead battery. I never charged between trips and did this as a test just to see how long a charge will hold on a LX-5. This is also my 3rd year running this battery, also an Ice Force brand. With the weight savings and now the life of the battery I think lithium is the way to go.

Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

Those are great numbers Cal. Thanks for the info.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Try a 12v Group 29 Interstate Deep cycle cool It will last 10 times as long, but it’s a real beoch hah hole hopping with it devil jester

tucrs
    NW Metro

Thank you for the info Cal. Maybe I will try it with the LX9 in the next couple weeks.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

WOW! Impressive. Thanks.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Try a 12v Group 29 Interstate Deep cycle cool It will last 10 times as long, but it’s a real beoch hah hole hopping with it devil jester

G,

That is funny!!!!!

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

G,

That is funny!!!!!

Cal.

How many days total did the 5 days of fishing take? Trying to get an idea of shelf life between charges.

Ray Gylsen
    Glenwood,Mn

That makes me feel better about buying one yesterday off the Ice Force web site. I’m mostly looking for the the less weight is more payoff with my LX-7!

How many days total did the 5 days of fishing take? Trying to get an idea of shelf life between charges.

The shelf life is long with the lithiums. My batteries all showed a full charge after sitting for 7+ months. These things are the bomb IMO – light weight, long runtime, zero maintenence and super fast recharge. The fast recharge is my favorite feature. I can’t remember how many times I forgot to plug in my flasher after a long day on the ice and a quick stop for a drink or two.. whistling

Wharf Rat
    Mahtomedi

I got one as a Christmas present to myself and have been very impressed so far. I used it three days without a charge and it still showed hi voltage on the LX-9 meter. I charged it after that just to make sure it didn’t die on me the next time but I’m pretty sure I didn’t need to.

Crappy Fisherman

Lithium batteries show 100 percent charge untill they are completely discharged. It is best to charge them every time your done fishing. They will last much longer that way.

ndrangerguy
    West Fargo, ND

Cal, how did your plastic coated sled experiment turn out from a couple of months back?

Marcum12

For those of you who are using the new lithium battery and charger on your LX-7’s, are you using the same connectors or switching them out to the same kind that came with the 7’s? Seems like a pain to have to take case off every time you charge it. Or is there an easy way that I’m missing when it comes to hooking it up?

Wharf Rat
    Mahtomedi

You can only charge the lithium battery to about half its capacity with the stock Marcum charger. You need to use the recommended charger for the lithium battery.
    It’s not a huge hassle to slide the frame out of the soft pack and undo the cables to charge it, but yes, it is not as sleek as using an SLA battery with the LX-7 charger.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Cal, how did your plastic coated sled experiment turn out from a couple of months back?

It is holding up very well. The white really brightens up the tub.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

For those of you who are using the new lithium battery and charger on your LX-7’s, are you using the same connectors or switching them out to the same kind that came with the 7’s? Seems like a pain to have to take case off every time you charge it. Or is there an easy way that I’m missing when it comes to hooking it up?

I left the stock charger connecter attached to my LX-7 when made the switch to a lithium battery as if I would be using a standard charger, but I simply hook the alligator clips on the lithium battery charger onto the old connector. That allows me to charge up without removing the case.

Will

Wharf Rat
    Mahtomedi

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Marcum12 wrote:</div>

I left the stock charger connecter attached to my LX-7 when made the switch to a lithium battery as if I would be using a standard charger, but I simply hook the alligator clips on the lithium battery charger onto the old connector. That allows me to charge up without removing the case.

Will

I will try this.
    Do you attach the red clip to the female or the male part of the connector?

Jay Hulser
    S.E. Iowa

I wish the Lithium Battery Charger was like my “Battery Tender” I have for my motorcycles. It has both hooks ups. It comes with the male/female hook up (like the standard setup with LX-9 charger) and then if you need the alligator clips hookup it comes with another extension you plug in the male/female end. Then you can use it either way. Maybe Ice Force can look into this setup. Then you wouldn’t have to mess with the cover. With my LX-9 it looks like a hassle getting to the battery to charge it with alligator clips.

Wharf Rat
    Mahtomedi

I agree that an adaptor would be nice, but Marcum uses more than one type of plug for their chargers. Ice Force makes the battery for use with any brand of flasher so they would have to include more than a few adaptors with this battery. Ideally Marcum would provide this adaptor with their flashers, or at least offer them as after market options.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

I will try this.
    Do you attach the red clip to the female or the male part of the connector?

Off the top of my head I don’t remember which is which but you can easily see based on the color of the wires coming into the connection. I will try to remember to check when I get home tonight.

johnksully
    Lakeville, MN

When I ordered my lithium I ordered it with the charger. I just bought the same plugs my LX-7 has from fleet farm and wired it onto the chager I got. Works just like the Marcum charger.

The lithium was well worthe the investment. Way cheaper from eBay…

Attachments:
    1. 20150107_143542.jpg

joe_the_fisher
    Wisconsin Dells WI

How much are the lithium battery’s and what is the weight savings??

johnksully
    Lakeville, MN

$89 bucks on ebay for 10 amp battery.

PmB

$145 shipped from rapala/ ice force. They are supposed to be half the weight of the standard batteries. That includes a charger also

renegadewalleye

I got mine today and charge it up in no time. Turn on the Marcum look at battery and it said over charge.

Crappy Fisherman

One thing to remember a 10 amp hour Lithium battery is still a 10 amp hour battery. The difference is that it puts out the full charge untill it’s dead. If your drawing 1 amp per hour you will still only get 10 hours of use. Your battery meter will read 100 present untill its dead. I’ve been using the K2 Lithium for 3 years and really like it.

Ray Gylsen
    Glenwood,Mn

Whaaat! I’m charging mine right now. I just received it today from Ice Force. I hope that is not a problem. My charger gets a little warm. I was a little disappointed that it does not shut off charging when done. The battery says it does not have an overcharge shutoff.

tacotom
    Woodbury Mn

I got mine today and charge it up in no time. Turn on the Marcum look at battery and it said over charge.

This is something I’d like to know about too. I assumed when I bought the $40 rapala/iceforce charger that it had overcharge protection. Can someone shed some light on this?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

My MarCum doesn’t say “overcharge” it says “HIVolt” or something to that effect. The battery is neither overcharged nor is the MarCum unit in any danger of being damaged.

My charger automatically shuts off when the battery is fully charged. The red light on the charger turns from red to green. The battery itself does not have an over-charge protection system in it (some do) but that’s not an issue because the charger provided does.

So, charge the battery using the provided charger, slap that sucker into your MarCum… and go fishing.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.