Lipless Crankbait Options for Open Water Walleyes

• BrianF

I’m addicted to casting lipless crankbaits for open water walleyes, mostly because the fish seem to be addicted to eating them.

While I have a couple of other brands in the box, my go-to lipless crankbait is the Rippin Rap. Must have 50 of them – not an exaggeration – in every size and color and use them probably 99.9% of the time when targeting fish with this style of presentation.

However, there seems to be times when groups of fish we’re working get worn out on the bait, as I call it. In other words, we catch so many on the same presentation that they’re over-exposed to the bait and begin to show avoidance behavior.

At these times, my mind begins to wonder: would a different style or brand of lipless crankbait fire the fish up again? Something with a different sound or feel?

My question is: have you found other lipless crankbaits that have the same magic as the Rippin Rap? Something a guy could keep on a rod as an alternative to show the fish? I fear I may be missing the boat by my loyalty to one brand of lipless vibrating crankbait when a change-up could be equally or more effective in certain circumstances.

Tell us about your lipless crankbait choices and experiences.

Brian

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’ve had the same thing happen to me. I’ve tried vastly different colors and sizes to see if they were still interested but never got them to bite. That’s when I switch over to plastics and continue catching.

Not sure why it is but it just seems some fish don’t want it.

Deuces

I don’t think you’re missing the boat in lipless cranks, but rather the need to forcefeed lipless cranks to fish. Sometimes, some fish just don’t want it, and a different brand, color, vibration ain’t gonna matter.

It is a very effective presentation as far as covering water and aggressiveness so I get why a guy would want to stay with it, but it is just one presentation among many others that can be used.

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

We have had it before where the walleye wouldn’t hit a Rippin Rap, but were pounding a Northland Rippin Shad. It has a little different profile and sound the rattles make.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I don’t think you’re missing the boat in lipless cranks, but rather the need to forcefeed lipless cranks to fish. Sometimes, some fish just don’t want it, and a different brand, color, vibration ain’t gonna matter.

It is a very effective presentation as far as covering water and aggressiveness so I get why a guy would want to stay with it, but it is just one presentation among many others that can be used.

I agree with this. I’ve had times when the aggressive fish hit ripnraps and then the bite slows. Throw on something a little more subtle and you pickup the less aggressive fish. I will alternate between baits and work through a school. One rod with a crank bait and another with jig and minnow or plastic. I don’t know if the type of lipless bait really matters.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

. I don’t know if the type of lipless bait really matters

On days when fish would eat a dog turd, your correct. Pay attention to how they eat it. If you understand how and where they are hooked, it will give you great insight to what changes to make.

I found one of those rare baits that produces when all else fails. LIVE Target discontinued it and I tracked down all I could in distribution..including tracking down all the sales reps and buying their samples. Bought just over 400 of them. Down to about 270 left

Ron
    Victoria, mn

I found one of those rare baits that produces when all else fails. LIVE Target discontinued it and I tracked down all I could in distribution..including tracking down all the sales reps and buying their samples. Bought just over 400 of them. Down to about 270 left

That makes me curious. If the bait is that good, why would they discontinue it? Seems to me they’d go whole hog on promoting it instead. Is there something about where, when or how you fish it that makes it successful only for you “when all else fails”? And if it’s that good, how much of the time do you fish with that bait? Why would you ever use anything else?

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Have you tried throwing a jigging rap/ shiver minnow/ slab rap at the fish?

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

That makes me curious. If the bait is that good, why would they discontinue it?

You have to understand how the industry works. What works for you or the best thing since sliced bread doesn’t mean crap. I see the vast majority of all innovative ideas FAIL.
    Two main reasons. 1. Advertising Budget 2. Store and distributor BUYERS.
    1. Most manufactures are spread financially so thin. R&D, printed publications, promotions….eat up their over head and profit so fast. Then calculate costs for all the shows – ICAST, buy groups, distributors…the costs for this is overwhelming. If huge orders arent taken in, failure is almost certain.
    2. Store Buyers are guided to one thing – selling a SKU #. DOESN’T MATTER WHAT IT IS. All buyers have a very limited budget. That limits what and how many sku’s they buy. They know a particular sku will sell X amount a year or season. T9 bring in a new sku, they need to delete a SKU. So why delete a SKU they know they will sell 50 of to take a chance on a new item??? Most will not. They want to protect their job by being incredibly cautious. Risk is not how a buyer has longevity in their job.

Additionally, and this us where I make enemies with many buyers, they are LAZY.
    Stores like Farm and Fleet, Wal-Mart all seek stock balancing from their distributors. So in essence, the distributor determines what items are stocked because if they don’t sell, they take them back into inventory. Plus, most buyers never do their homework. They don’t scan the forums for what people want and use. They don’t seek input from staff and guides.. only what a report on sold SKUs have sold. You would be disgusted to see and know how many forum pages I have printed and presented to buyers at shows only to see them tossed in the garbage. I spent years as an end users advocate to communicate the wants to buyers. They don’t care…just want guarantee of how many will sell.

As for fish getting educated on a particular bait, yep it happens. Give it a couple years for the next couple year classes to grow up and it’s game on again.

I’ve spent many years learning/mastering how to use lipless baits like a blade bait. Vertical jigging, pitching, and mocking y.o.y. bait. The lipless baits were God’s gift to mankind. Knowing which brands to use because how the head is designed and weighted is priceless. I tried for almost 10 years to have a manufacture tweek a mold design to adjust how a Gizzard shad would fall and the need for micro sizes. Every year I got a lecture on how expensive that would be. Unless they had guaranteed sales of 20k units each, it wouldn’t happen. Then Rapala introduced the rippin rap that had most of the fixes I had been asking for. Not the colors I want or exact body style, but they did get the nose dive correct. They also have deep pockets for advertising, product placement and so on. Amazing how that worked out

Attachments:
    1. DSCN5972.jpg

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

The old Yozuri 3D vibes. That fall and vibe where the lure stands up on the yo yo.

Those discontinued Spro viv cranks. While designed to have less vibe probably works well as a trolling type lure.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.