Line for jiggin/dragging

• ScottSchreiber
    NULL

Wondering what you guys prefer for line, on spinning rods- day in and day out for vertical jigging, pitching jigs, pitching blades, dubuque draggin. Or different depending on application? Then braid vs fused, brand, test.

ScottSchreiber
    NULL

And i forgot mono, assuming some prefer that for pitching jigs

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I run braid and a flouro or mono leader for all of those applications. Tough to beat the sensitivity imo.

isu22andy

I usually use 15 lb power pro . I’m switching to hi vis next rod . I can’t stand low vis now after using hi vis jigging

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

10# YoZuri blue braid for the majority of stuff. I add mono leaders for dragging jigs

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I like to run high viz yellow with a fluoro leader. I like that it’s easy to see and I can see it easily with a head lamp on in lower light conditions. I have a few rods with 10 or 12 pound 832 and others with 15 pound. Color is just a preference for me

Michael Best

I am a big fan of high viz braid with a floro leader.
    10 lb braid to an 8 or 10 lb leader.

shockers
    Rochester

6 or 8lb Fireline braid for vertical jigging. I used to add a floro or mono leader, but it didn’t seem to help me at all.

For Dubuque: 8-10 lb Fireline for main line. 10-lb Berkley trilene XT for dropper etc.

For Bottom Bouncing: 15 lb Fireline, and 15 or 17lb pound Seagur Invisixx for snell line.

I don’t think color of line impacts fish at all, but as I get old, I the high vis line is pretty handy.

ScottSchreiber
    NULL

Pretty standard, i do 8-15 lb fireline or braid to floro. More of the 8 mainline with a 10lb leader for pitching and 15lb mainline with 14lb for dragging

ScottSchreiber
    NULL

Not sure how accurate the specs are but shopping around seems like 832 has a higher diameter to lb test rating than most other braids

ScottSchreiber
    NULL

And i also am a fan of high vis yellow or green, even white vs green/moss. I got the itch….and see some guys go as far as running mono on the top leader on a dubuque for bouyancy and flouro on the dropper

ScottSchreiber
    NULL

Somewhat of a tangent, and know its been discussed here, but anyone use 15lb or more for a leader with blades to limit tangles? I know proper technique helps also.

Onthewater

Somewhat of a tangent, and know its been discussed here, but anyone use 15lb or more for a leader with blades to limit tangles? I know proper technique helps also.

Fall snap jigging is about the only time I use a leader. On the river it doesn’t make a difference 99% of the time. I’ve put a lot of fish in the boat without one while the other guy is retieing after breaking off. The wasted time being out of the water is a much bigger negative than the couple extra bites you “think” you will get is a positive.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Yes, I run 20# flouro leader for blades, one eyes, or spoons to reduce foul ups.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I run 8# high vis mono for pitching jigs.
    Quite fond of that versus braided line, pitching jigs specifically I’m a line watcher and mono shows bottom contact best.

Otherwise it’s 20# high vis fireline.
    3-ways built with 20# mono…I intend to catch and hoist a lot of fish before I want to have any concern over breaking off.

Jim

For dragging jigs in deeper water and pitching blades I use Suffix 832 10 lb, neon lime. I run a fluorocarbon leader so I don’t obsess about fish being line shy if I’m not getting bit. If I’m shallow, especially dragging downstream in warm, dirty water, I like Stren original mono 8 lb, hi-vis gold. High visibility line is definitely the way to go.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.