Line Counter Reel Advice/Knowledge

• Matthew Sandys

I have been looking at three reels to put on my new crank bait rod. I would like to go with the low profile line counter that you can also cast/bait caster line counter. The three I’m looking at in no particular order are the oakum cold water low profile line counter, daiwa lexa and the daiwa accudepth ICV low profile.

Not that I will be casting them a lot but I have read that the line counters can get messed up with casting? Any one have this problem? That is why I was also looking at the ICV low profile it is digital line counter which should not have all the small gears, but looks to be a pain to change the battery, and battery suck on things like that

Thanks for any real work experience or advice you can all give me.

Travis

Calibration, calibration, calibration!!!!
    Line counters can get out of tune from casting a great deal….the key to line counter reels are that they are calibrated from the time you spool your line on otherwise you will continually be wrong on all your running depths when trolling…..which leads me to question why you are seeking a line counter for casting applications???? The biggest advantage of a line counter is to precisely know how far back to run your baits to achieve the desired depth to run while trolling, there would be little to no benefit to seek a line counter for casting….the curve at which the crank will run on a single retrieve is subject to how far it will cast anyways which is a lot less than that of a trolling application.

Matthew Sandys

I will not use it much for casting more the line counter, but I like the low profile and the option to cast if needed/wanted too. Looking for a left-handed retrieve too and they offer it in all three. I can use right but why not use what feels better.

Travis

I understand now…sorry lol.
    In that case I know guys who use both the okuma Coldwater reels and diawa accudepth and they like them both, there is a place out east where you can send them every year and for a minimal fee will repair or go through the whole guts of the reels they are amazingly brand new every year.

Personally I love the Shimano tekota but they are on the higher side of the price spectrum, however they are unbelievable smooth drag and that’s what I base my decision on.

I would take both options your looking at and evaluate the drags smoothness on each and which one you like better is gonna be your choice because they are so close to the same choice you won’t be disappointed….hope this helps!!!

Tight lines

Ryan Hughes

I have a number of the okuma cold water low profile reels on all of my kokanee salmon rods and I have been very pleased so far. If you have any specific questions about them just ask.

beardly
    Hastings, Mn

there is a place out east where you can send them every year and for a minimal fee will repair or go through the whole guts of the reels they are amazingly brand new every year.

Do you know the name of the place? Sure would be nice to have my accudepth gone through.

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

I have a bunch of Okuma low pros very nice been two years. I would just buy another reel the cast with a line counter it hard on the counters.

CBMN
    North Metro

I would just buy another reel the cast with a line counter it hard on the counters.

X2. I have several Tekotas and although it could be possible to cast with them another $50 to $100 baitcaster rig fills my need much better. Also most my trolling gear is longer poles not ideal for casting duty. Big bulky handles, 8’ plus rods, etc…

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I have a number of the okuma cold water low profile reels on all of my kokanee salmon rods and I have been very pleased so far. If you have any specific questions about them just ask.

Which Okuma, the 350? I’m looking to pick-up a couple for eyes.

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

I have both the Okuma Cold Waters as well as the Diawa’s.

While I like the Diawa’s, I really like my Okuma’s! Very smooth reels and the counter works flawlessly. Only reason I have them was to have as backups. I got them for 70% off at Gander Mountain when they went out of business. But I have made these the main reels and my Diawa LC’s are my backups.

I have had some issues with my Diawa LC’s… The clickers get jacked up once in awhile and its hard to get them to reset, and also the spool tension nob is messed up on one of them so letting line out can be a bear.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.