Line Choice

• toxic11

this question goes out to James as well. When fishing for walleye, when do you decided to go with braid, mono or floro line. Does weather, depth play a role in your decision? Thank you

Tharin Benson
    NE Iowa

I use braid when it’s nice outside, fishing deep water or fishing in the shack because it tends to freeze up faster. Usually run 6lb braid to barrel swivel to a
    6 lb. floro leader. If I’m fishing outside and its cold out, 6lb mono for main line with same setup as above.

Travis

I lean away from using braid when hole hopping, it ices really bad. Only exception is when it is beautiful outside where it won’t be freezing so quickly. Otherwise braid for in the shelters and generically for deeper water fishing, no stretch when trying to make those Walters cross-eyed setting the hook, your percentage of good sets greatly increases. 6lb braid for me.

Florocarbon I predominantly use for all applications. Deep water horizon hopping limited stretch and good hook setting percentage, plus I like the fact of no being visible to the fish. I run 6lb on all my tucr precisions and 8lb on commander.

I’ve stayed away from mono in recent years for walleyes. Pairing line and lures with all my tucr rods has opened up many versatile options for me where mono doesn’t make the trip anymore. Only time I will consider it, is panfish shallow water. But that is personal preference, opinion, by no means am I trying to say it doesnt work for others.

Tinker
    Iron Range

I have been using 4 & 6 lbs Sufix Advance. Lot less stretch and in my opinion doesn’t ice up or coil up like regular Mono.

Beast

My rig for jigging, 10# mono, ( trilene big game) swivel, 15″ of 8# floro.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.