Light weight 2 man

• Doug M
    SE SD

The wife and I got out to fish today. We have an otter lodge but with snow conditions like today we had to leave the 4 wheeler on the trailer and pull lodge out by hand. Well that is getting harder every year and now has me in the market for something light, much easier to pull by hand, and can fish 2 people. So far I looks like the Eskimo sierra is a pretty light flip over and the evo 2 could also pull fairly easy. Or go with a pop up like the 949 fatfish?

Deuces

Google “Smitty sled”. Build one for days you need to pull would also be an option. I was wishing I grabbed my smitty this weekend as well for my Evo 1. Can’t imagine the lodge, you guys got a workout!

Doug M
    SE SD

Thanks, I thought of that also, but I am hoping to get something that will fit in my pickup bed and under the tonneau cover. Have found quite a few clam suitcase shacks for sale on cl.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Some of the older clam 2-man shacks would fit the bill. I bought one from a buddy the other day that is quite light and has a pretty shallow sled.

However, you give up a lot of warmth compared to the newer shacks.

Sylvanboat

I have an older Clam 2-person Trap Guide flip over and it probably weighs 35 lbs empty. Nice hut. Seats removable. Good luck.

B-man

I agree 100% with just building a Smitty

super_do
    St Michael, MN

Put tracks on your wheeler?

iTinker

Eskimo Sierra and Apex shelters are super light. Guys are putting coffee table hinges and skis on them to make fold down smittys for the slush and snow too.

Attachments:
    1. 80353712_2687575537992374_753015471883681792_n.jpg

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

When it comes to portables everything is a tradeoff when you’re hoofing it. For the flip ups: to get lighter sleds you sacrifice space. From a practical sense the smaller “2-man” houses are more “in theory”. You can also ask yourself some questions like: “Do I need this heavy seating system or can I sit on a bucket while in the house”. Also, a Smitty sled may be part of the answer for the bigger flip ups but is another thing to consider for transport. Hub style houses are lighter for the space but you sacrifice ease of setup and mobility. Hubs can also be a challenge in the wind.

It can also come down to your style of fishing. Do you like to set up and stay put, do some exploring, use the portable as a warming house and hole hop, etc. Do you want mobility and flexibility? Do you want more space and comfort? Like a lot of activities not everyone shares the same vision or approach. There are no hard or fast answers.

tornadochaser

Clam Nanook is light, but remove the chairs and mounting brackets and take a couple camping chairs.

roger

I have an ice runner fish house for sale. very light insulated 2 man

Ice Runner Explorer Fish House

Doug M
    SE SD

what did you think of rear door?

Drizzy Musky
    Duluth

Eskimo Sierra Thermal is the go to for light 2 man shelters. Everything else is pretty dang heavy

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Clam Nanook is a smaller 2 man. It is VERY light compared to most 2 man shacks and this year Clam made it a bit larger so it is closer to a normal 2 man size. I fished out of this for a few years and it was a very nice pull compared to other bigger 2 man shacks. It also has a lower height than a lot of other 2 man shacks so I am willing to bet it would fit under your truck’s cover.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I like my Clam Nanook for a small, lightweight 2 person flip over. Only complaints are it’s not tall enough to stand up in and 4 holes is nearly impossible. So I usually end up fishing a tip up or 2 for second line(s).

roger

Its nice that you can have all your junk and holes outfront and can just slip out the back if needed! I fish myself most of the time so my bayrunner is the number one. With that if I want to move its just roll up the line, go drill a couple holes and move it over the holes. No messing around with anything. They are the best for me. Hate the hubs, flip over are better but still a hassle when you move.

Geerdes
    Brandon, SD 57005

Otter Cottage is what I use with a bench seat. Mounted skies right to the bottom of the sled.

Doug M
    SE SD

Its nice that you can have all your junk and holes outfront and can just slip out the back if needed! I fish myself most of the time so my bayrunner is the number one. With that if I want to move its just roll up the line, go drill a couple holes and move it over the holes. No messing around with anything. They are the best for me. Hate the hubs, flip over are better but still a hassle when you move.

I don’t suppose 2 people would fit too well in a bayrunner? Maybe the bayrunner 2.

curleytail

I used to have a older Fish Trap Guide. I think the Nanook is pretty much the same shack.

Mine weighed about 60 pounds and fished 2 people with 2 lines pretty well. A 3rd hole to share a deadstick would be possible but with a heater would start getting tight. It pulled decent, but in deep snow was still tough enough after adding a heater, auger, and some other gear.

Much better than your Otter Lodge, but still tough in deep stuff. Like any shack if slush froze to the bottom it was still a nightmare.

I have a small green 1 man eskimo flipover also. Not bad when lightly loaded on light snow, but still can be a workout in deep snow if you add 60 pounds of gear.

I agree that looking into a smitty sled is not a bad idea. Most designs break down for transport pretty easy and wouldn’t raise your shack up for getting it to fit under your tonneau cover.

Travis Fuller

what didnt you like about the tent? im thinking of getting one?

Doug M
    SE SD

Eskimo Sierra and Apex shelters are super light. Guys are putting coffee table hinges and skis on them to make fold down smittys for the slush and snow too.

I am going to try this. Bought couple pair of these hinges and a set of skis.

Dash Adams

I try to go as light as possible so I run an Eskimo Sierra Thermal and a Smitty Sled and this setup is sweet. Easy to load and unload and most importantly easy to pull. Sure you sacrifice some space but if you are organized and plan accordingly there’s plenty of room for 2 people. The setup fits under my toneau cover on my Silverado.

Not sure how the Eskimo will hold up long term but so far I’m very happy.

Doug M
    SE SD

I try to go as light as possible so I run an Eskimo Sierra Thermal and a Smitty Sled and this setup is sweet. Easy to load and unload and most importantly easy to pull. Sure you sacrifice some space but if you are organized and plan accordingly there’s plenty of room for 2 people. The setup fits under my toneau cover on my Silverado.

Not sure how the Eskimo will hold up long term but so far I’m very happy.

do you fish with the Sierra by yourself?

iTinker

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>iTinker wrote:</div>

I am going to try this. Bought couple pair of these hinges and a set of skis.

Make sure you get heavy duty hinges and bend the spring ends so they don’t unhook.

iTinker

In my eskimo, I fit 2 boat seats, slush grabber, angel wing tiedowns, shovel, tackle, rod locker, big buddy, 5lb cylinder, battery box, shelves, 2 flashers (she keeps warm while I hole hop), Aqua-vu, tripod, auger, bucket, beverages and snacks. It even fits under my wife’s car’s passthrough, and I use modular storage for quick setup/teardown. It is slick.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.