Light Pollution

• Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

The Why? thread that’s going about Ice Castle Strobe lights made me think of another issue.

I live in the Alexandria Lakes area and with the advancement of super bright LEDs I see “Over Lighting” as a major upcoming issue. There are places on the lakes that are so bright that you can not look at them at night. I’ve had two issues in the last year in my area alone. My next door neighbor installed two yard lights so bright I could read in my bed with the shades pulled! It was ridiculous so I kindly talked to him and he took one down and now a tree blocks part of the other one. It’s now tolerable but still not pleasant. The new lights are not like the old yard lights that have a nice warm glow to them, they are really bright!!

So now for the second issue. I have a neighbor across the lake that has a yard light so bright I can not look at it in the evening or morning without squinting. I do not know this person to go chat with them so before I dig into this does anyone know how I’d go about finding if this is even legal? This light is almost 3 miles from me and it’s brighter than passing a car on the road with the high beams on… what to do?

See the picture below. The small lights to the left and right are standard yard lights. Picture doesn’t do it justice but you can see the difference in the lights at least.

Attachments:
    1. 20190102_053337.jpg

2. 20190105_062234.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Wow that’s a wicked bright light.

I installed new flood lights and my neighbor called me later that night and said “ron can you do me a favor and look out side”, my new flood lights were so incredibly bright it was like day light in my front yard and directly in to his windows. So I went out and unscrewed them. Had to return them and get the old school ones.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

pretty much how i feel with some of the headlights on vehicles!!!!!!!!!! tongue ???

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

pretty much how i feel with some of the headlights on vehicles!!!!!!!!!! tongue ???

I agree, it does seem like there are getting fewer and fewer out there that completely blind you though.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I found another picture from this fall. He turned on 3 more Tera watt bulbs just incase we couldn’t see him. It was like having Target Field across the lake from me.

Attachments:
    1. 20181029_001259.jpg

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

Joe, maybe there’s some awesome night games happinnin over there! You’re missing out dude!

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

I think the only response is to respond is to up the ante.

SIX LIGHTS, WITH A STROBE DISPLAY AT THE TOP OF EVERY HOUR.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Get a search light for an ore boat. Bright at 20 miles. Might be hard on the electric bill but…..

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

If you were my mother in law you would right him a strongly worded letter and drop it in his mailbox…..it would be very passive aggressive and you wouldn’t put your name on it. When he didn’t do anything about it, you would complain to your son in law until he got so fed up he took care of it.

In all seriousness, I’d go over and talk to the guy. Have him come see it from your side of the lake and if he’s reasonable maybe he’ll change it. Or, go park on the ice in front of his place and put your high beams on in his back windows.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

If you were my mother in law you would right him a strongly worded letter and drop it in his mailbox…..it would be very passive aggressive and you wouldn’t put your name on it. When he didn’t do anything about it, you would complain to your son in law until he got so fed up he took care of it.

In all seriousness, I’d go over and talk to the guy. Have him come see it from your side of the lake and if he’s reasonable maybe he’ll change it. Or, go park on the ice in front of his place and put your high beams on in his back windows.

Now both of your paragraphs are hilarious

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Joe, Can you see his flag pole from your place?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Joe, Can you see his flag pole from your place?

I could. It said ice hole. doah

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Can you install a large mirror array that reflects the light back at him but focuses it into a smaller more intense beam directed at his bedroom window?

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Can you install a large mirror array that reflects the light back at him but focuses it into a smaller more intense beam directed at his bedroom window?

Brilliant! toast

BoatsHateMe
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>philtickelson wrote:</div>

Brilliant! toast

I see what you did there applause

to_setter
    Stone Lake, WI

This reminds me of an e-mail war over light use I was sent many years ago that just cracked me up so I thought I’d share……..

David: Dear neighbor- Due to your new terawatt floodlight shining through our bedroom window like a small but intense sun, I have removed the lamp and placed it in your letterbox.

Justin: I received your note, but you can’t go onto other people’s property and take things, that’s trespassing. Massanutten is a wooded area and I installed that light for security. It’s a safety issue. I can’t help it if some of the light goes across the road, close your curtains if it bothers you.

David: Hello Justin- Thank you for your email. While I accept that curtains are usually the key to community accord, in this instance they would need to be constructed of eight-inch-thick lead sheeting. Last night, with my curtains closed and bedside light off, I read a book……wearing sunglasses…..under a blanket. Though unconvinced that blinding local fauna is the best solution, I do understand the heightened need for security living in a wooded area such as the gated community of Massanutten demands. Having formerly lived my entire life in Australia, I am unfamiliar with much of the local wildlife but I did see my first raccoon last week. I stepped outside to have a cigarette and the raccoon, sitting less than five feet away besdie an up-ended bin eating the remains of a Domino’s Artisan Tuscan Salami pizza, hissed at me. Surprised, I threw myself backwards, rolled several times toward the door, and sprang to my feet holding the welcome-mat above my head to appear taller. Sometime during the roll-spring-mat maneuver, probably during the roll part as it was over gravel and I was wearing shorts and a thin T-shirt so I had to take it slow, the raccoon left. Which probably isn’t as exciting a story as it should be but this isn’t Borneo and I’m not Jack London. I did see a snake the other day though. I picked up a stick to poke it with which also turned out to be a snake. Jumping back in panic, I threw it away from me, but our dog thought I was playing fetch and I had to run and jump over a creek to get away. As such, this weekend I intend to set up a canister of poisonous gas in my yard with an industrial fan behind it. I can’t help it if some of the gas goes across the road. Regards, David.

Justin: Is that meant to be a threat? Put something up in your window if you don’t like the light, we lived here 5 years before you even moved into the neighborhood and got along perfectly with Ryan who lived at your property before you. We went to his BBQ’s and I loaned him our mower. We get along with all our neighbors. I don’t know what you people do in your own country but in this country we don’t go onto other people’s property and touch their stuff.

David: In my country, terawatt gloves are reserved for police helicopter chases and warning sailors of hazardous shoals. This is despite the fat that practically every living creature there can kill you in under three minutes. Our primary spoken language is screaming. I’m not surprised you get along well with all the other neighbors. If you put fifty children with Down’s syndrome in a room there is going to be a lot of hugging. And no; that was not a threat. It was an exaggerated response to an uncompromising stance. I was taught never to make a threat unless you are prepared to carry it out and I am not a fan of carrying anything. Even watching other people carrying things makes me uncomfortable. Mainly because of the possibility they may ask me to help. I did consider installing a floodlight as bright as yours, but this would require some form of carrying things, electrical wiring knowledge, and access to a power supply capable of producing that amount of wattage. Probably fusion. As I am told off by my partner for wasting money when I leave the light on in the bathroom overnight, I can only speculate to what her reaction would be to an electricity bill eight times our annual income for retaliatory garden lighting. She would probably have to get a third job. it would be much cheaper to stand in my driveway and throw rocks. I can’t help it if some of the rocks go across the road. You should probably put something up in your window. Regards, David

Justin: Did you take our lamp again A-hole? What part about not being allowed to go on our property don’t you get?

David: Dear Justin- No, I did not take the light again. I relocated it again. It’s current location may be discovered by deciphering the following set of clues to it’s whereabouts. Perhaps you could invite your friend Ryan over and treat it as a kind of treasure hunt:
    1. It’s in the letterbox again.
    2. Look in the letterbox
    As I realize this probably won’t narrow it down much for you, I will give you a third clue in the form of a riddle: What burns with the light of a thousand suns and is in the letterbox? Regards, David

Justin: I put a smaller lamp in so you can shut the F up now. Don’t email me again and if you ever trespass on our property again I will press charges.

David: Dear Justin- What if I have a barbecue and need to send you an invitation? Is it OK to email you then?

Justin: No; it’s not OK

David: Dear Justin- What if I need to borrow your lawn-mower? I can’t invite people over for a barbecue and expect them to stand in long grass. Someone might be bitten by a snake. It’s a safety issue. Regards, David

Justin: F-off back to Australia

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

long read, but worth it.

phishingruven01
    Inactive
    southeast lower michigan

lmao! lol

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Very good sense of humor there.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

This reminds me of an e-mail war over light use I was sent many years ago that just cracked me up so I thought I’d share……..

David: Dear neighbor- Due to your new terawatt floodlight shining through our bedroom window like a small but intense sun,

LOL! I read this a few years ago and now that I read it again, I can clearly see this is where I got the term Terawatt bulb from! rotflol

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

That’s by far the funniest thing I’ve read in a long time.

Bassn Dan

Never understood people that WANT TO LIVE IN THE COUNTRY, but are afraid of the dark.

If you’re afraid of the dark, buy a house in the city by a street light.

404 ERROR
    MN

My neighbor has a “terawatt” bulb in his backyard. It shines directly into our livingroom window. He often see’s me get off the couch with no pants on like Murray Goldberg to close the blinds when he turns it on. They don’t care, they’re A-holes and well known by the local PD.

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

Joe, I’ve got some spare time and a couple of black ski masks laying around. Gonna be in your area fishing tomorrow. Give me a shout.
    BTW, how tall do you think the light poles are?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Never understood people that WANT TO LIVE IN THE COUNTRY, but are afraid of the dark.

If you’re afraid of the dark, buy a house in the city by a street light.

Some people are afraid that the city is much darker !
    I live in the country so to say but it’s in the city. Some times I still get spooked when I go outside in the middle of the night.

David Blais

You can purchase LEDs that are closer to 3200 Kelvin. That’s more of a traditional light

Kurt Turner
    Kasson, MN

If you think the new world order of light pollution is irritating you should hear the noise pollution from generators. Nearly impossible to enjoy a peaceful night in the hub. 20 years ago i never would have seen this coming. Can’t help but ponder if or when this trend aka fad will pass and the next shiny object will be chased….

Carry on

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

Maybe he’s bow fishing off his dock! lol

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

If you think the new world order of light pollution is irritating you should hear the noise pollution from generators.

That certainly is annoying, but they need to run the strobe lights.

On a serious note, does anyone realize they can run there lights, heater, fans, TV, DVD player all off a deep cycle battery for over 24hrs? The generators ARE NOT necessary 24-7. Run them over night or mid day. Don’t wreck the portable guys day. I have a big Ice Castle and I would never run my generator while others are fishing in a portable.

I understand people can be over sensitive and anything will make them mad but if we all try to think of others I think it would go a long way.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I have 2- 200 ah batteries and the standard 75ah battery in my house, I can go 4 or 5 days without the generator.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.