life jackets

• grizzly
    nebraska

watched ur show James was wondering on ur life jackets, do you guys use the auto inflating or the manual ones ? and if the auto ones do you have trouble in the rain with them going off? buddy of mine got one for his wife and it went off in the rain. would like others users input also, thanks guys.

Jonesy

watched ur show James was wondering on ur life jackets, do you guys use the auto inflating or the manual ones ? and if the auto ones do you have trouble in the rain with them going off? buddy of mine got one for his wife and it went off in the rain. would like others users input also, thanks guys.

I have used my Onyx AM24 (auto/manual) for 3 seasons now and have no issues with them. I have fished in pretty decent rain and it has not gone off. I think it’s pretty rare for them to go off on their own.

You can however buy hydostatic ones that will only inflate due to water pressure so it’s next to impossible for them to go off in the rain.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Pretty sure he’ll say the hydrostatic that goes off with water pressure.

Google Mustang MD3183. I bought one last year and it is pretty easy to forget you have it on. The model number may have changed since.

There’s a great place in MN that sells/ships them to police and rescue services all over the country, including direct retail. http://machovec.com

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

buddy of mine got one for his wife and it went off in the rain

I don’t know about the brand your buddy has but that sounds like a one off. Humidity along with a bobbin that hasn’t been changed out over years will make them pop or even if they are kept in a humid below deck space.

The ones I use and others I have seen are all designed where the trigger is protected from rain water. Generally there’s an opening at the bottom so when a person goes into the drink, the water can enter the trigger area to inflate the vest.

There’s just too many variables to guess why that one went off in the rain.

I will say the first evening out with my three Float Techs we ran into a heavy rain storm. It was Wade Kuehl, his dad and I. The whole 10 miles we ran back to the dock I was expecting the hear each one inflate. Didn’t happen…whew!

grizzly
    nebraska

I will ask him what he had and where he got it

Brad Hak

I have used the A-33 from Onxy in all kinds of crazy weather and have had no issues, I highly recommend them.

Rick Janssen

I have a Cabela’s auto/manual in been out in a few downpours. It never went off.

grizzly
    nebraska

asked the guy what brand it was and he didn’t remember, it went off twice and wife quit wearing it and wasn’t even sure what he did with it. asked a guy I fish with that works at scheels and he uses the am 24 and also said they very good and has had good luck with them

grizzly
    nebraska

I have a Cabela’s auto/manual in been out in a few downpours. It never went off.

do u have the guidewear 3500

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.