Licenses

• Weekender
    Southcentral MN

I’ve always wondered…. can a person bow hunt, firearms hunt and muzzleloader hunt each year? Or do you have to pick one of the 3 and that’s it?

Justin riegel

For MN yes you could buy one of each but to have abide be each zones deer restrictions. Your muzzleloader and bow tags are valid statewide. In a 1 deer zone you could only shoot one deer total with any of those tags purchased. In a 3 deer zone you could harvest one with each weapon. Still only one buck though for the whole season. For instance I have shot 3 deer with my bow this year. 2 does and a buck. I could still buy a muzzy tag and harvest a deer in a zone I haven’t filled my quota in yet, but it would have to be an antlerless deer since I shot a buck with my bow tag.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

All depends on which state and their regs

Alex Fox

Here’s a question along the same lines. I shot my doe with a bow in a 2 deer zone with a bonus tag. I shot my buck with a rifle in a 3 deer zone. Could I go back to the 2 deer zone and hunt with a bow? Even though I’ve already shot two but harvested 1 in a different zone? Or do my 2 keep me from hunting in a 2 deer zone period and I have to stay in a 3 deer zone?

I’ve actually called the DNR directly before because a group of people are reading the regs and everybody has a different interpretation of them. I haven’t on this situation because I’m done for the year, but your question got me wondering what is kosher and what isn’t.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Alex, the DNR takes emails too. Once you have it in writing from them, if a CO believes the law to read another way, you have proof you were told by them.

[email protected]

Asking here could get you two different answers just like talking to your friends. )

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

Removed what I had put because lots has changed.

Alex Fox

Tindall.

Thanks for the response. I still have my primary bow tag and could still use that for a doe. I have 2 deer, a doe and a buck already harvested. Could I use my primary doe tag in a bonus area, or only in an intensive harvest or CWD zone?

Maybe that’s more clear.

Alex Fox

And yes, I think I should just ask the DNR. lol

Justin riegel

Here’s a question along the same lines. I shot my doe with a bow in a 2 deer zone with a bonus tag. I shot my buck with a rifle in a 3 deer zone. Could I go back to the 2 deer zone and hunt with a bow? Even though I’ve already shot two but harvested 1 in a different zone? Or do my 2 keep me from hunting in a 2 deer zone period and I have to stay in a 3 deer zone?

I’ve actually called the DNR directly before because a group of people are reading the regs and everybody has a different interpretation of them. I haven’t on this situation because I’m done for the year, but your question got me wondering what is kosher and what isn’t.

Yes as long as you dont harvest more than the zone allows and your main tag qualified you to hunt that zone. Bow tage is good statewide so you would be good with the bow.

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

Tindall.

Thanks for the response. I still have my primary bow tag and could still use that for a doe. I have 2 deer, a doe and a buck already harvested. Could I use my primary doe tag in a bonus area, or only in an intensive harvest or CWD zone?

Maybe that’s more clear.

Actually, I am all out of date and everything is changed. When I hunted in Rochester and Grand Rapids over a decade ago the bonus tags worked different, and for the last many years all I have worried about was winning the lottery in the one zone I hunt (which is apparently now called “antlerless permit lottery, one deer limit”).

Holy cow, it is way more complicated now

From what I can see I do agree with Justin – you should still have your “base” bowhunting tag in your possession, and you can use it in the 2 deer zone.

Alex Fox

They definitely need to make this stuff a little clearer.

A few years ago I had a left over bonus tag from bow season and I thought I had to get another for rifle season (still hunting in the zones outlined above). My buddy didn’t think I did. Called the DNR and they told me my bonus tag is a bonus tag whether it’s rifle or bow or muzzleloader. Read that rule a dozen times and never got that out of it, but thankfully they take phone calls or emails.

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

When I started hunting here forever ago I was told that you only get one buck per season no matter what you use or where – but I don’t see this written anywhere now.

If that were true it would mean you cannot arrow a buck in your 2 deer zone.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The one buck rule is true. Your initial license, regardless, of zone, is the one you can use for a buck. Doesn’t matter what weapon is used.

Many zones have bonus tags you can fill but they are only for antlerless deer. For example, if you tagged a doe with your initial archery license, you could still hunt but you will need to use an antlerless tag in a bonus zone. You can buy archery, firearms, and muzzle loader licenses but the bag limit on a buck is still one combined.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.