Leech Newbie!

• Big Lund 20
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Hey all. Heading to Leech in two weeks with the family for the first time. I’ve never been to the lake but have fished north of the boarder many years on Minnitaki. This year I decided to keep it south of the boarder in a more family environment.

We are staying at Huddles and plan to get to know the lake in our first trip there. To keep the trip as safe as possible I was wondering if there are any areas I need to be aware of when navigating the lake.

While I’m all for catching a few eyes this trip is really just about having fun and catching really anything. I suspect we will be casting structure for pike/bass and panfishing, If I can manage some time to chase some eyes I surely will.

Always appreciative of any info.I tend to lurk but will definitely post up how our trip goes.

Take Care,
    Big Lund 20

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I fish Leech primarily for eye’s so not much help on the pike/bass/sunnies. But Huddle’s has a ton of great structure right out front of it. I would focus on that area, and try to dial it in. Leech is really like 2 or more lakes with the all the bays, so trying to learn it all in one trip is not very likely. If you are up for more than an extended weekend, I would try and book a guide (Fancaster on here would be my first choice, but there are lots of good ones). If you mix in some time chasing eye’s I would focus on shallow areas during the low light or evening periods, with jigs, lindy’s or rapala’s. Good luck, I’m sure you will love it!

Deron Eilertson
    Rainy Lake

The pan fish bite on Leech can be fickle. They have been absolutely pounded over the past coupl of weeks but I am sure there will be some stragglers left IF you know where to go looking. Big Werm is correct, there is a lot of varied structure near Huddles. Most of it is Walleye and Musky country. Big walleye territory I might ad. If you are after a memorable experience hire a guide…like Bobby Landreville at South Shore Guide Service. He may not be a social media addict but the guy can fish and he works out of Huddles regularly.

Captain Deron DoRight
    Leech Lake Guide

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.