Leadcore Kings

• procor
    Mounds View, MN

This report is a week old, but one thing I wanted to share was how well leadcore works. I came from the old days of fishing a couple of tournaments each year our of Algoma and Kewaunee…a long long time ago. back then, it was dipsy divers, downriggers, a couple of flat lines and mostly j-plugs with some spoons mixed into the mix.

Fast forward nearly 20 years and the techniques have surely changed. I just got back from my second trip out to L.Michigan and this time fished between Bender Park and Milwaukee, and armed with more leadcore knowledge.

I did not realize why, at least from what I read and what people tell me, was how invasive species, especially zebra mussels have made the water so much more clear. This was obvious as on a calm day, we were in 20-23fow and I could see the bottom of the lake as clear as day. A long story made long…we did so much better on this trip than the first trip as I was well set up with many rods holding leadcore. Approximately 90% of all fish fired on a leadcore rod; it was actually difficult to get downrigger to fire.

I ran a total of 6 Offshore planer boards on each side. Depending upon the depth of water in, each side of the boat had a rod with 2 color, 3 color, and a 5 colors of leadcore. If we were fishing shallow or were in colder, deeper water, I ran a 0 color, 2-3 color and maybe a 5 color (water depth and temp dependent). With the three planer board rods/each side I was running, the furthest one would be the shallowest, the middle and the inner board would have the leadcore running the deepest. The theory was that if the outer rod fired, it could be played in manner that it could be let back and over the top of the two inner lines an avoid a massive hairball. In five days of fishing, I only had one time where two board got tangled..due to my mistake. Otherwise, it worked awesome.

The first day was slow. We ran from 45-130fow mostly washing spoons. It wasn’t until we went to R&R tackle shop, and when I Was asked “How can I help you”, I responded, “Well, you can tell me where the kings are!”. Our conversation went like this:
    R&R: where are you fishing”?
    Me: Anywhere from 70-130fow, we cant find them.
    R&R: your too deep
    Me: Well, we did come into 45fow for a while…
    R&R: Too deep
    Me: well, there was a bit of time we snuck into 30-35fow
    R&R: Too deep
    Me: What?
    R&R Too deep, try 10fow, all the shore fisherman are getting there limits

Longer story longer…we bought glow in the dark spoons, and went out in the afternoon and fished into the evening where it was the best fishing..even had a couple of doubles and hit our largest king of the trip. We ran pretty much in 23fow and did well. The westerly winds for the past few days had pushed the warmer water out deep which got replaced with colder water near shore. We ran 4 planer boards with a 2 an 3 color and two inline divers. It was a blast. In the five days we were out, we caught most all of our fish in 23-45fow…with some deeper throughout the five days as the colder water started slipping further and further out from shore.

I guess from what I read, with the crystal clear water…the fish do not care as much for the ‘zinging’ of the steel downrigger cable and the big ball whipping by them. The leadcore/planer board option gives them ‘free-air’ lures, away from the boat and in undisturbed water. Of the downrigger fish we caught…a couple were on the upper stacker…but most were on the bottom where I also ran 2 colors of lead to push the lure 10-12feet below the ball…again putting it in free-air water where the fish do not get possibly spooked by the ball.

Anyway…hopefully it helps anybody going out for Slammin’ Salmon next week. I cannot wait for my trip in August.

Attachments:
    1. photo-4.jpg

2. photo-3a.jpg

3. photo-5a.jpg

4. photo-4a.jpg

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I was in Two Rivers over the weekend and our biggest king came on a downrigger in 70 FOW with the rigger down 18 feet dragging a flasher fly 40 feet behind the ball. The first night there, we had 5 hits on riggers down 25 feet and the 2 through 5 color core rods were dead. I agree that a lot of fish come on leadcore, but every day is different and every day one thing seems to outfish the rest of the gear. Riggers still catch fish, and even when they don’t, I’m still going to run them as it is possible they are pulling fish in and they hit on other rods. I’m still a relative rookie so I am just feeling my way through the process. Figuring out what is going to work on any given day is part of the fun I guess. Carry all the weapons and use that ones that are working.

Nice write up and looks like a fun trip.

procor
    Mounds View, MN

You got that right John. Seems like it changes daily. I as well, always have two-four rods down on downriggers at all times. I throw the works at them and let them tell me what they want. The only time I did not run the riggers is when we were in 30-45fow as the bottom would shoot up pretty fast to 35fow when we were in 45fow and the ball was set at 35fow. I still have a bad memory of being asleep at the wheel (at times literally during tournaments) and having the ball snag the bottom and almost loosing a ton of gear. So, in those depths, the leadcore could cover everything.

I heard all about the flasher-fly bite…so of course, I went out and bought a bunch…do you think I get a rod to fire on a FF combo on either of my two trips to LM…nope.

Got to have riggers! I agree. I prefer catching them on the down rods as it is a hardware-free fight to the end. I think I saw the list for Slammin Salmon…sure wish I could swing the trip. But really look forward to an August trip when hopefully the bigger kings get into a good pattern. I never tried night fishing in my life…it was sure a blast. They say the lake is a good two weeks behind on temps this year and have things a bit behind with the bite…. here is 51 degrees last week south of Milwaukee close to shore…crazy temps this time of year…

Attachments:
    1. photo.jpg

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Yep, temps are nuts. Too bad you cant make the salmon GTG. Bite may not be the best we’ve ever seen but it will still be a good time and fish will be caught.

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

Pro – sure like your report to get us all fired-up for the weekend ) Thank you very much. Sounds like y’all had a great time and had things dialed in. You just gotta love when a plan comes together. )

John you as well make great points. I also like to throw some of everything out and see what’s gonna work.

How fast (GPS) were you guys pulling. I’m my limited experience seems 2.5 to 2.8 have been the most productive for me. I use glow spoons, glow fly’s -n- flashers. Even been know to drop in a glow J-plug on the bottom D’rigger…and it worked

WOW, running 6 boards a side, whoa, that’s nuts. I’ll run two per side, then a dipsy, then the ‘rigger…I also like to ‘group’ my offerings, like keep blues on a side, greens on the other, if possible, then adjust accordingly.
    It can get nuts out there, and here’s hoping it does! )

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

I love the reads!!! I tried pulling out the walleye gear this spring and got a few cohos when they were shallow around the Bender area. It is a 10 minute ride from home… so I am looking to learn more about any version of this type of fishing that I can enjoy without having to go to the bank and invest in yet another pile of gear. The Browns and coho were a blast in the spring. I need to learn about dipsy, and lead core I guess.

Besides picking up little things on IDO, any good reading out there on the set-ups, and entry level fishing? Often the reports… just lose me even with the terms and gear names.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Pro… the fish in the images. Is the one a Brown Trout as I think? Bottom right.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Besides picking up little things on IDO, any good reading out there on the set-ups, and entry level fishing? Often the reports… just lose me even with the terms and gear names.

Go to the library and check out the book “Keating on Kings” by Dan Keating. Great information in there about how to run a salmon spread and why you do some of the things you do. He also co-wrote a couple other books. “Great Lakes Salmon and Trout fishing, the complete trollers guide” which I have read and is very good, and then “Angling Life: A Fishermans reflects on sucess, failure, and the ultimate catch” which I have yet to read.

Any time you have questions about something in a report, post a question. I guarantee there is somebody else wondering the same thing. There is no such thing as a stupid question. Well, I guess there is, but not when it comes to fishing.

procor
    Mounds View, MN

For a couple weeks before I head out there, I follow the Lake-link reads and posts from all the people, including guides, that put very detailed posts on current, up-to-date fishing reports, depths, temps, what they are hitting on, where, etc.

Go to lake-link.com, click on Fishing Reports, then Wisconsin Fishing Reports, then type in the search bar, Lake Michigan. All the reports from Algoma/Sturgeon Bay down to Kenosha will come up…a lot of great, current reports each day.

Cycle..that is a brown. I know they get a lot bigger, but it was the biggest brown Ive ever caught. No scale with.

Flatfish…as far as GPS speed, I varied a bit. After reading some of the lake-link posts, I read one guy had a slow slow day, but once he pushed it to 3.0, he had some rods fire off the rest of the day. I always tried to keep it at 2.7-2.8 on the GPS, maybe small s-turns and/or go down to 2.5 and/or up to 3.0. But for the most part, I fished at 2.7-2.8.
    I thought I was nuts too running that many planer boards each side. One day we were out in 130 fow and I watched a charter running that many boards and he sure got into the bows and constantly had the net out. Back in the day, we were risky running two Yellow Birds out at the same time. I tried the YBs this year and then the two Offshores I had with the OR19 clip….they ran so crisp and clean in the water, I bought two more and ran four OFs. Then the next day and seeing how the leadcore outfished everything and that we had to fish in 45-70fow or less for the most part…another set was purchased. I am stopping there. Running 3 per side was pretty flawless as those boards run so clean in the water.

Before you guys head out for Slammin…if you havent checked out Lake-Link..give it a read. Seems to be the premier spot for local info on LM.

Attachments:
    1. photo-5a1.jpg

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Nice post Pro Cor!
    Sorry to hear you won’t be at the GTG’er.
    Would have been fun to talk some fishing with you.

Boog

eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

Nice report Procor! The area you’re talking about is where I do a large majority of my fishing. Its a great area with good structure and often times little pressure. I had planned to swing down there Friday after work, as that bite sets up real good on a SW blow. But my big motor had other plans… Glad you got on some quality fish, always a trip getting on good ones in <30fow. Lead often rules the game in that skinny stuff, but we’ll also bust out the mono dipsys in there and theyll bag too. Have had limited success on the riggers in there but have caught a few running em up higher with really long 100’+ leads. Thanks again for the report. Maybe we’ll bump into eachother down there sometime.

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>cycle wrote:</div>

Go to the library and check out the book “Keating on Kings” by Dan Keating. Great information in there about how to run a salmon spread and why you do some of the things you do. He also co-wrote a couple other books. “Great Lakes Salmon and Trout fishing, the complete trollers guide” which I have read and is very good, and then “Angling Life: A Fishermans reflects on sucess, failure, and the ultimate catch” which I have yet to read.

Any time you have questions about something in a report, post a question. I guarantee there is somebody else wondering the same thing. There is no such thing as a stupid question. Well, I guess there is, but not when it comes to fishing.

All great, informative books! I look back at them regularly in the off season when winter feels it will never end.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.