Lead Tackle Ban hearing Tuesday 2/23

• gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Can you imagine the demand when the whole state of MN needs to restock their tackle box!

I think that is part of the reason they are giving it several years for people to comply. Supply will need to increase with demand.

matt

If there is a cheap alternative as Mr Fisher states then why isnt it on store shelves?If your going to ban something common sense says you have the alternative product easily obtainable.I dont buy jigs or any tackle online,you truly want me to switch get the product out there for me to buy.I did find some cheapar alternative online after a more extensive search,(there are not many options).The one company I did find has no organized website very little information or even pictures of the product and you need to call or email them to place an order which is a 50$minimum order..I walk into a bait and tackle shop and buy 4-5jigs at a time not 50$ worth.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

This thread nicely encapsulates a big problem, I think. In this thread we have hyperbole (I see loons everywhere), conspiracy theories (this is really just PETA trying to take our bullets), made up facts ($700,000,000), incorrect understanding of current facts (lead wheel weights have been banned in MN since 2016), and baseless speculation (that the price of lead alternatives will go up if this bill passes).

Meanwhile, apparently someone is telling the legislature that lead tackle alternatives are cheaper than lead tackle (which I believe is incorrect).

So far as I can tell, few if any of the passionate objectors on this thread have so much as sent an email to their legislators. If you think that’s a waste of time because they won’t listen, see my comments above.

tswoboda

This thread nicely encapsulates a big problem, I think. In this thread we have hyperbole (I see loons everywhere), conspiracy theories (this is really just PETA trying to take our bullets), made up facts ($700,000,000), incorrect understanding of current facts (lead wheel weights have been banned in MN since 2016), and baseless speculation (that the price of lead alternatives will go up if this bill passes).

Meanwhile, apparently someone is telling the legislature that lead tackle alternatives are cheaper than lead tackle (which I believe is incorrect).

So far as I can tell, few if any of the passionate objectors on this thread have so much as sent an email to their legislators. If you think that’s a waste of time because they won’t listen, see my comments above.

toast

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

Lead wheel weights have been banned?? Tell that to every automotive shop in the state. They’re millions of lead wheel weights on the roads right now, and they fall off all the time. I’d guess more lead ends up in the environment from wheel weights than all tackle and bullets combined.

munchy
    NULL

Only thing I can think of would be steel and tin, maybe brass. Definitely not tungsten or bismuth.

I also saw someone (a few?) state no other states have banned lead tackle. That is incorrect.

New Hampshire
    New Hampshire prohibits the use of lead sinkers up to 1 ounce and lead jigs up to 1 inch in length in all waters.
    Retail outlets are prohibited from selling lead sinkers and lead jigs.
    Effective since: 2000

Maine
    Maine prohibits the use of lead sinkers or jigs weighing 1 ounce or less.
    Retail outlets are prohibited from selling lead sinkers or jigs weighing 1 ounce or less.
    Effective since: 2002

New York
    New York prohibits the sale of lead sinkers 1/2 ounce or less.
    Effective since: 2004

Vermont
    Vermont prohibits the use of lead fishing sinkers 1/2 ounce or less. Retail outlets are prohibited from selling lead sinkers and lead jigs weighing 1/2 ounce or less.
    Effective since: 2006

Massachusetts
    Massachusetts prohibits the use of lead fishing sinkers and jigs less than 1 ounce in all inland waters.
    Effective since: 2012

Washington
    Washington prohibits the use of lead fishing sinkers and lead jigs that measure 1 1/2 inch or less along the longest axis but only at 12 lakes in the state where loons breed and rear their young.

The regulations apply to the following waters: Ferry Lake, Swan Lake, Pierre Lake, Big Meadow Lake, Yocum Lake, South Skookum Lake, Lost Lake, Blue Lake, Bonaparte Lake, Calligan Lake, Hancock Lake, Lake Hozomeen, and Long Lake.
    Effective since: 2011

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I wonder what the effect will be from all that extra fishing line in the water after snipping off our lead tackle when the law approaches for the next several years? )

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I wonder what the effect will be from all that extra fishing line in the water after snipping off our lead tackle when the law approaches for the next several years? )

I get that you’re joking, but I said in another thread that it would be foolish for the legislature to ban the use of lead tackle. If they were going to do this, banning the sale and manufacture but not the use would be a whole lot more reasonable. I’m not sure I would support this bill in any form. My only point is that there’s a more productive way to engage on subjects like this. The us vs. them/all or nothing political mindset is a problem, in my opinion.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>suzuki wrote:</div>

I get that you’re joking, but I said in another thread that it would be foolish for the legislature to ban the use of lead tackle. If they were going to do this, banning the sale and manufacture but not the use would be a whole lot more reasonable. I’m not sure I would support this bill in any form. My only point is that there’s a more productive way to engage on subjects like this. The us vs. them/all or nothing political mindset is a problem, in my opinion.

Opinion noted. We all have one. I also have a lifetime supply of lead jigs…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

FYI there was one scrap yard in mpls that would sell scrap lead to me. It’s been a Number of years since they told me they couldn’t sell it to private individuals.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

If you would like to submit comments to the Chair email: [email protected]

If you oppose this ban, email Rick Hansen as I did. Thanks for the push John! jester

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>grubson wrote:</div>
    Lead wheel weights have been banned?? Tell that to every automotive shop in the state. They’re millions of lead wheel weights on the roads right now, and they fall off all the time. I’d guess more lead ends up in the environment from wheel weights than all tackle and bullets combined.

Come on, man. Use google. https://www.pca.state.mn.us/quick-links/lead-and-mercury-wheel-weights

Haha, no thanks. Fyi just because you can find it on Google doesn’t mean it’s true, or in this case actually happening.
    I’m not saying the law doesn’t exist, I’m saying it’s not being followed by many. Lead IS still being used as material for wheel weights in mn.

munchy
    NULL

I still remember growing up digging through my grandpa’s tackle box and coming across a couple topwater lures with mercury sloshing around in them.

Wish I knew where those ended up. Would love to have them sitting on my shelf.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Haha, no thanks. Fyi just because you can find it on Google doesn’t mean it’s true, or in this case actually happening.
    I’m not saying the law doesn’t exist, I’m saying it’s not being followed by many. Lead IS still being used as material for wheel weights in mn.

I pointed you to the state agency’s information page. Here’s a link to the law: https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/116.931 There’s plenty of false information on the internet. I assure you that this isn’t. Tell your tire shop buddies they’re breaking this law. Consider asking them if they’re actually using lead first, though.

Separately, I think it’s cool that BigWerm sent an email. It’s more effective to send an email to the legislators that represent your district (as opposed to someone you can’t vote for). Here’s a link to find their contact info: https://www.gis.leg.mn/iMaps/districts/

john23
    St. Paul, MN

The House authors of this lead tackle ban bill are Rep. Peter Fischer ([email protected]), Rep. Sydney Jordan ([email protected]), and Rep. Amy Wazlawik ([email protected]).

Fischer represents District 43A which runs from Maplewood to Mahtomedi. (here’s a map)

Jordan represents District 60A which is NE Mpls. (here’s a map)

Wazlawik represents White Bear Lake and WBL Township. (here’s a map)

There are five Senate authors of the companion bill. https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bills/bill.php?f=SF247&y=2021&ssn=0&b=senate

Especially if you live in one of their districts, you should email them your respectful thoughts to the Authors.

B-man

Thank you for Pete Fischer’s email address.

I sent him a quick note about the complete LIE about lead alternatives being less expensive.

Does anyone know any specific representatives who are against the lead ban? Are they aware about the misinformation that Fischer is spreading?

blank

When Representative Heintzman asked for clarification on a jig vs a weighted hook, Representative Fischer didn’t know the difference, and described a weighted hook as “I think it’s a hook with like a ball of lead on the front”.

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

A number of good questions came up during the hearing, prices, definitions, garage sales, antique lures, fines, enforcement. Too much for any one hearing to manage. Plus the Senate bill is being carried by a Dem, so it might not get a hearing in the Senate. Such is the way of politics in MN. My question to the posters on this thread. If someone replaced all your lead tackle with the approximate size/weight non-lead alternatives, would you reject it and stick with lead and if so why?

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I’d gladly switch if it was the same size or smaller.

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

I have well over a dozen jig/sinker molds and production pour pots so I’d hate to see it all be obsolete. I have picked them up over the years to save money of course and give to friends/family so they don’t have to buy over priced junk. I wouldn’t care so much if there is an alternative. If you bottom fish/river fish for cat/sturgeon you need sinkers in the 2-6oz range on average. Lead ones sell for like $5 a pc. That’s why I’d never buy one. I guess a guy could buy bulk steel nuts/bolts on sale and donate to the bottom of the river or start drilling holes in rocks and epoxying a swivel into them for weight. Send me the link to a 5oz non lead sinker that isn’t the size of your fist or over $20 please.

walleyevision

I’m with Netguy. I just don’t want to pay the hundreds of dollars it would take to replace all my current jigs, bottom bouncers, in-line weights, split shot and ice jigs.

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

If someone replaced all your lead tackle with the approximate size/weight non-lead alternatives, would you reject it and stick with lead and if so why?

I have found at times the fall rate of lead versus tungsten can make a difference in the catch rate especially when ice fishing. I feel a lead horizontal ice jig with a slower drop rate will have more movement and attract more attention on decent.

tswoboda

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Buzz wrote:</div>
    If someone replaced all your lead tackle with the approximate size/weight non-lead alternatives, would you reject it and stick with lead and if so why?

I have found at times the fall rate of lead versus tungsten can make a difference in the catch rate especially when ice fishing. I feel a lead horizontal ice jig with a slower drop rate will have more movement and attract more attention on decent.

I know a of a few marketing departments that would definitely disagree.

B-man

A number of good questions came up during the hearing, prices, definitions, garage sales, antique lures, fines, enforcement. Too much for any one hearing to manage. Plus the Senate bill is being carried by a Dem, so it might not get a hearing in the Senate. Such is the way of politics in MN. My question to the posters on this thread. If someone replaced all your lead tackle with the approximate size/weight non-lead alternatives, would you reject it and stick with lead and if so why?

Who is “someone?”

If you’re buying I’ll send you my list.

Would you prefer an email or pm? It’s several pages long….A few grand should cover it )

BigWerm
    SW Metro

The House authors of this lead tackle ban bill are Rep. Peter Fischer ([email protected]), Rep. Sydney Jordan ([email protected]), and Rep. Amy Wazlawik ([email protected]).

Fischer represents District 43A which runs from Maplewood to Mahtomedi. (here’s a map)

Jordan represents District 60A which is NE Mpls. (here’s a map)

Wazlawik represents White Bear Lake and WBL Township. (here’s a map)

There are five Senate authors of the companion bill. https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bills/bill.php?f=SF247&y=2021&ssn=0&b=senate

Especially if you live in one of their districts, you should email them your respectful thoughts to the Authors.

And like usual an all metro lineup of Congresspeople proposing this law, I wonder how many of them own a fishing pole, let alone a significant lineup of jigs…

B-man

I sent him a quick note about the complete LIE about lead alternatives being less expensive.

Does anyone know any specific representatives who are against the lead ban? Are they aware about the misinformation that Fischer is spreading?

I already received an email back from Pete Fischer.

He said he “was sorry he misspoke…..”

For some reason I don’t believe him….

whistling

john23
    St. Paul, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>B-man wrote:</div>

I already received an email back from Pete Fischer.

He said he “was sorry he misspoke…..”

For some reason I don’t believe him….

whistling

Sounds like you got some good ammo out of it.

Josh Provo

I’m all in on what they are trying to do however there needs to be a lead trade in. Like they did 10-15 years ago. I know Gander Mountain back in the day had a group that exchanged the weight of your lead for the weight in jigs that were stainless steel. You cannot just ban it and let actions take course. What is the DNR going to do go around and test Jigs if your still using them?
    Stainless steel is non magnetic the same with lead however tungsten is.

walleyevision

Jigging Raps are made of lead…already expensive, can’t imagine the cost of a tungsten jigging rap replacement!

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 90 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.