Lead sinkers

• Dink buster

Bought about 50 lbs of lead to make my own sinkers. Scrap lead of all shapes and sizes. Real dirty though. Is there a process to clean it before melting it or do I just melt it and skim impurities off? Never did this before so any help appreciated.

mikek
    Brainerd-Mille Lacs

I melt it, then put some wax in it. Throw a lit match, then stir and skim. Used motor oil works too. Some use saw dust.

Dave maze
    Isanti

I just skim the floaters. No issues so far.

Deleted

Curious what you paid for the lead per lb? I paid around a dollar a pound last year for 30# but I seen some go for over double that at the same online auction recently.

I made some egg sinker and a few jig head but still have plenty to last me for a long time

Dink buster

Got a small pot with it, tongs,and ladle for 60$. Also got 12 six ounce cannon ball sinkers

Deleted

You did well Stuart. Is my lead clean or dirty? Probably dirty. I got a small melting pot and some (5) molds from antique stores for around $10 each. I just skim the top junk with a small junk knife.

Karry Kyllo

I use old wheel weights that I get for nothing, ladle off the floating impurities and pour my weights.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

If you question whether the lead is clean just flux it with some candle wax. Shave some wax off a candle, a heaping tablespoon full is plenty, and drop it in your molten lead and give a stir. Wear gloves doing this and DO IT OUTDOORS. Any impurities will come right to the lead’s surface where you can use an old spoon or the ladle to remove them.

Blended lead will work fine for larger sinkers and jig that don’t have any essential small crannies that need filling. If you get incomplete castings on small jigs some sinker designs, start over with pure lead.

Scenic

One thing to keep in mind when dealing with lead is that it can be very volatile. From experience, one drop of moisture in your lead could cause it to explode and blow lead everywhere.

Best way to gather impurities is like mentioned with a bit of candle wax. Melt it down, stir it and then add the wax. Then stir and skim it off again. Yes it is going to smoke and stink.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

I wanted to get into this but finding lead is not as easy as it used to be….all the wheel weights now just use zinc (

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

I have some lead and a melting pot just don’t have a mold yet. Looking for a jig mold in 1/8th and 1/4 oz size without a plastic keeper to pour some.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I have some lead and a melting pot just don’t have a mold yet. Looking for a jig mold in 1/8th and 1/4 oz size without a plastic keeper to pour some.

Check barlowstackle.com for their selection of Do-It molds. Cheaper by far than the Do-it store and Barlows carries the full line of Do-It molds. The mold #JNR-7-48 makes collarless ballheads in 1/8 and 1/4…4 of the 1/8 and 3 of the 1/4.

Jigs are simple to make if you already have the pot and lead. Pick up a simple ladle at Barlows at the same time and you’re good to go.

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Thanks Tom for the tip. Don’t think I will need the ladle. I think I can just lift a little handle and lead might pour out the bottom of pot. Haven’t used it yet.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Thanks Tom for the tip. Don’t think I will need the ladle. I think I can just lift a little handle and lead might pour out the bottom of pot. Haven’t used it yet.

If you have a bottom pour pot, don’t run all the molten lead out of the pot or you risk clogging the nozzle with impurities. If you always keep the pot half full or better, the impurities will never reach the nozzle.

I prefer a two step process when starting with dirty raw lead. First melt is in an open pot over a propane camp stove. I melt the raw lead down and remove as much dross as I can. I then ladle the molten lead into a mold which gives me 6 ounce ingots.
    The 6 ounce ingots are later used in my electric bottom pour pot when casting the final product.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

When you guys pour lead do you wear gloves, respirator and a tyvek suit?
    If not you should.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

When you guys pour lead do you wear gloves, respirator and a tyvek suit?
    If not you should.

Does 1 out of 3 count? I do watch what foot wear I’m using at the time. A bit of hot weld splatter will make you aware of that risk.

Dave maze
    Isanti

Gloves/glasses, respirator, and I made a fume hood to run smoke and fumes outside the garage. All pouring and painting happens there.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.