Lead Core Experts

• Matthew Sandys

Ok, so I have the colors and foot sink rate of lead core but the lure depth is still a little foggy. So if I’m running 25 foot of 12# floro leader and I have a crankbait that dives 7-9 feet, what is the dive rate of lure to add to the depth? I thought it was 7-9 feet but when I watch the last episode they said 2 feet for the scatter shad rap tail dancer (11-19 foot) #9? So is there any rule of thumb anyone has?

Thanks

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

25′ totally excessive and all you’ll gain from that length is no sensitivity to tell how lure is running.

Knock it back to 5-10′

To answer your question… You either look in the water and guess or you just guess the depth.

B-man

A lure that dives 7-9′ on it’s own will only pull down a few feet on a 20-25′ leader.

The bigger influence will be your speed through the water.

Leadcore is very speed and current sensitive. Even a half mile an hour can change your depth significantly when chasing bottom hugging walleyes.

Active and suspended fish are easier to target since you just have to play horseshoes (close is good enough, they’ll come and get it). Err on the high side to start. You want to be above the fish, not on them or below them (in most circumstances).

The best thing to do is find a gradual flat and hit bottom. Take a quick note, example: 120′ line-on-counter hit 20′ at 2.2 with a #5.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Since the first two replies knocked it out of the park, I’m just here fo feel smarter.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.