Lawn mower battery for starting and locator?

• mrpike1973

Bought a small boat for puddle jumping has a 15 hp Johnson motor with electric start. Trying to keep weight down. Prior owner used battery to start boat motor with no issues. Would using a small lowrance hook 5 locator cause major issues on same battery? I could always pull start the motor and always recharge the batteries after every trip? Or was going to use a small locator battery? I could not find the amp draw on the locator. Thanks

Grayghost

I have the same setup on a 14′ boat. I pull start the 15 horse and use a battery from an ice fishing setup. I crimped spade connectors onto the end of the power cable. This makes for a great portable setup that I have used in my truck ice fishing, a kayak, or resort rentals. The battery lasts for hours.

I used to use a lawnmower battery when I was a kid to run an electric trolling motor and sonar but have never tried one to start a motor.

Attachments:
    1. 20240217_080659-scaled.jpg

Onthewater

Lawn mower batteries aren’t deep cycle batteries. They aren’t made to be run down. It will work but you will be replacing it yearly if drawn down repeatedly.

10klakes

From lowrances website…

Power Consumption max 0.9A @ 13VDC with backlight on full
    Power Consumption min 0.9A @ 13VDC with backlight on full
    Power Consumption typical 0.9A @ 13VDC with backlight on full
    Recommended Fuse Rating5A
    Supply Voltage12v DC (10.8-17VDC)

mike mulhern

we run the lawn mower battery on our 14 ft in canada all year long start the moter with it and run a bilge pump too. this is our cabin boat but has a solar charger hooked up to it as well. we run a 9.9 merc on this set up.

Mike

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.