late season tent camping

• crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

I was looking to do some late season camping and pheasant hunting. Are there any places that have tent camping past the middle of october in southern MN or Iowa? I’ve been snooping a little and did find one place in Marshall, but that’s it. If you want to send me a PM that is fine too. Thanks in advance.

dbright
    Cambridge

Not sure what would be in the area you are talking but alot of mn state parks have sites available all winter.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Please share the locations on this post. I am looking at doing the same thing.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Not sure what would be in the area you are talking but alot of mn state parks have sites available all winter.

There are a fair # of them in southern Minnesota. Blue mounds, Kilen Woods, split rock creek, lake Shetek to name a few. I believe all of these offer camping.

dhpricco
    Twin Cities, MN

Is it legal to setup camp in the parking lot of a WMA?

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

During hunting season in designated areas it’s legal.

Deuces

Rapidan dam park had some cool tent spots on the river when I rode the bike thru there month ago.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I interpret this as no.

MN 6230.0250 Subpart 7:

Subp. 7. Overnight use. A person may not camp on or remain in a vehicle overnight in any wildlife management area, except by permit or where posted for this use by the commissioner. A person may not leave a vehicle, trailer, or tent overnight within a wildlife management area, except by permit or in areas and at times designated by signs for overnight use. A vehicle, trailer, or tent lawfully left overnight must be occupied or attended.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

It seems like you cannot camp on a wma unless you have a pass from the wildlife manager for that unit. I did call a state park and they said camping is open until it snows, so that’s good. Most campsites turn off water and electric sometime in the month of october.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

It seems like you cannot camp on a wma unless you have a pass from the wildlife manager for that unit. I did call a state park and they said camping is open until it snows, so that’s good. Most campsites turn off water and electric sometime in the month of october.

I have camped many times duck hunting at Mille Lacs WMA and Big Rice WMA so yes you can do it, they have signs telling you when you can and cannot. There is usually a fire ring someone has set up and left also. Again only designated spots If you like crawdaddy I can give you specific spots in Mille Lacs WMA and describe them just PM me.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Late season camping sounds like a blast if you have enough wood for a great campfire!
    I understand that is no easy task with all the guidelines. Especially in state parks.

picklerick
    Central WI

My late friend Joe and I used to camp at Shabbona Lake in northern IL every New Year’s weekend for 4yrs. The electric sites were still “live” so we just brought a small ceramic heater to keep warm overnight. It was so much fun being the only ones out there camping. We used to fill our packs with beers and pick up trash while we were out hiking and collecting firewood summer and winter. It was where we both tried ice fishing for the first time, renting a dull hand auger and some cheap jig poles from the bait shop in town. He had a really bad drug problem and told me that he knew he was going to die if he went out with his other friends for New Year’s, so we made it our tradition. Joe died of a heroine overdose a week after his 30th birthday. That was about 22yrs ago and I still miss that guy. We would have had so much fun together after I moved to central WI if he could have stayed clean. His death is what made me decide I didn’t want to live in the Chicago area anymore. Sorry to take it this direction but cold weather camping will always remind me of Joe.

B-man

Check out the Overlander App

tornadochaser

Options for western MN putting you in areas with plenty of public land:

Lots of hunters that camp in Appleton, MN every fall.
    https://appletonmn.gov/campgroundreservation

Benson also has camping available at Ambush Park.

Tent camping is available in Morris at Pomme De Terre park. Not sure how late into the fall they are open, but a quick call or email would answer that.

Lac Qui Parle State park is another great option for fall camping. Pretty sure they keep one set of bathrooms open well into November.

Nice Fella

Late season camping sounds like a blast if you have enough wood for a great campfire!

Enough wood – and whiskey!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.