Lake Wisconsin Fishing Report for 5-28-07

• Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Monday, May 28th – Memorial Day

Todd Kowalski had planned this day out quite awhile back. He gave his dad a guided fishing trip with “Ballwegs Guide Service” on Lake Wisconsin for Christmas. The kind of gift that you can share with the person to whom you give it to. One thing Todd forgot about was his wedding anniversary. I’m thinking your only going to get away with that once Todd, so next time, you might want to book that trip on a different date!

The goal was to not only catch fish, but to learn some different tactics and techniques that he could take back with him to Brownsville, MN where he can hopefully, apply them to his home waters on the Mississippi river. I had already given Todd an IDA business card and after learning that his home waters were right there on the Ole Mississippi river, I did my best to explain to him that the best resource available for learning techniques that would make him a better fisherman and increase his catch was right there in his own back yard. I’m pretty sure you’ll be seeing Todd Kowalski on In-Depthangling.com pretty soon.

Today we started by running crankbaits out just far enough to tick the bottom occasionally and the walleyes seemed to like that. Todd and his dad, Dale caught several before things slowed down. Next we trolled through the stump fields for and hour or so, which did not produce quite as well. Then we switched over to slow trolling night crawlers behind bottom bouncers. This produced the biggest walleye of the weekend for Todd. A nice, chunky 21-1/2″ walleye. Nice fish Todd!

The rest of the day was a mix of slow trolling crawlers and faster trolling with crankbaits.
    By the end of the day, Todd and Dale caught 14 walleyes, 5 saugers and 1 crappie.

For the weekend, the overall numbers looked pretty good with a total of 87 walleyes & saugers coming over the side of the boat in 4 days of fishing.

Mostly what we are seeing this year on Lake Wisconsin is an excellent 2 year old class of walleyes and these fish are running just short of the minimum legal size of 15″ long. Still, there fun to catch and its good to know that the current slot limit regulations appear to be doing what there designed to do.

Hope you enjoyed you Christmas present Dale and I hope you didn’t get into any trouble with your wife Todd! I had fun fishing with the two of you.

Take care and good luck fishing!

Boog

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.