5/7 report

• John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Got out for a few hours last night and managed to put 6 fish in the boat, all trolling. 5 saugers that measured 19.5, 19.5, 18, 16.5, and a 22 inch with 28 inches of attitude. The one walleye I managed was a hair under 23 inches but fought nothing like the 22 inch sauger. I thought I had a much bigger fish, but I’ll take 22 inch saugers any day. Tried lindy rigs for a while with crawlers in the same area I was picking up fish trolling but never got a bite. Fish were split evenly between a fire-tiger jointed shad rap, and a regular shad rap in some crazy red / yellow ‘gander mountain’ exclusive color. Beautiful evening to be out, and to top it off, there wasn’t another boat within sight of where I was fishing.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Nice report Mendotaeye!

Any specific depths that worked the best?

Boog

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

12 to 14 feet seemed to be the zone. I was fishing what is basically a 200 yard hole that gets to about 20 feet at it’s deepest point. The fish were all right around the top of the break where it starts to flatten out coming up out of the hole. Didn’t pick up any fish deeper in the hole or up on the shallow flats. Nothing shallow kind of surprised me, but I eventually found them.

darin_rs
    Glen Ellyn, IL

I think I know where you were at. Have you been fishing for any bass yet this year? I know you fished that one tourny last year, you fishing any out there this year?

Darin

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I don’t want to give my spot away completely as it should continue to hold fish for at least another two weeks. Send me a PM if you want to confirm your suspicion. It’s not an unknown spot.

I only fish the one bass tournament a year, which is the Thursday’s child one. It would be too hard on my ego to fish more than that one as my bass fishing skills leave a lot to be desired. If I can’t catch bass on cranks or spinner baits, I’m out of the running. Weighing a full limit in the Thursday’s child event last year was a first. We ran into a bunch of stupid fish that let us catch them out of pity.

darin_rs
    Glen Ellyn, IL

too funny. Not a big deal on the spot, I would rather keep guessing, that will keep me from fishing them if I do not know for sure.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.