Lake Winnipeg

• Bigwalleye30
    MN

Wondering if anyone has been up there in the last week or so to give an update on the lake conditions? Haven’t seen many reports on here or any other forums. Mainly wondering if anyone has gone out with or noticed people driving around on the lake with SxS’s with wheels? And how well they were able to get around?

Cameron white

Still doable with quads, sxs should be ok if your careful. Still -20’s up here, starting to warm up a bit more during the day. If we get a drastic warmup, it will be tough for a sxs. Tracks now get you off the beaten path.

Bigwalleye30
    MN

Thanks Cameron, is that for the east or west side? Or does it even matter? We are planning on fishing out of the west side next week.

Cameron white

Thanks Cameron, is that for the east or west side? Or does it even matter? We are planning on fishing out of the west side next week.

Either side. More travel out of the west side it seems this year. There is a derby this weekend on the 9th out of Warner rd, so there will be 1000 cars there. Just an FYI.

Sully

What has the walleye bite been like on Winnepeg this winter?
    Heading up on March 23rd. Any suggestions on where to start?

Thanks

Cameron white

What has the walleye bite been like on Winnepeg this winter?
    Heading up on March 23rd. Any suggestions on where to start?

Thanks

Bite is there. You have to hunt them. I did well shallow, and deep. It’s getting into the 50’s next week, so tracks preferred until the snowpack drops a bit. Ridges are opening up. Leave your truck.

MNBOWHUNTIN

It was a total grind for us for 3 days up there. Hardly anything going during the day and only productive time was after 6pm. We marked baitfish out deep, but only a couple shy walleyes moving around the baitfish. Plopped down in 10fow BOI around 530-6 everyday and thats when the bite would start. I ended up with a 26″, 28″, and 28.5″, but the 2 28’s came within 15 minutes of each other on Saturday night so kind of salvaged the trip for me.

I’ve heard of other guys doing well though, sounds like the east side in that 9-11fow BOI range was the best.

Sully

Thanks guys, we will be staying on the east side so will start there and head toward the river.

Dennis Fritts
    Bismarck, ND

We went out March 10-13 getting around was no problem we had 3 ATV’s 1 with tracks and 2 with out all got around fine. lot of side by sides running around also with and with out tracks. snow was pretty hard then not sure about now. Fishing was OK caught a bunch of 18-21″ fish and a few 26-27″. everywhere we went we needed 1 extension and it was right down to the ice before busting thru. We have had better trips in the past but Winnipeg is always a good time! Hope this helps!

Bigwalleye30
    MN

We pushed our trip back till next week, so we are hoping the melt continues and gets the snowpack down some and also get the fish turned on. Hoping to hear ice/snow condition reports from later this week.

Cameron white

We pushed our trip back till next week, so we are hoping the melt continues and gets the snowpack down some and also get the fish turned on. Hoping to hear ice/snow condition reports from later this week.

I’ll be out Sunday.

richsn
    SE/NW WI

I just got back today from 3 days on Lake Winnipeg. I used my snowmobile to get around. Saw mostly sleds and tracked UTVs. Did see some trucks, they couldn’t go everywhere and saw some getting stuck, but with temps going up, the snowpack should recede. Fishing, at least for me, was so-so, 13 fish in 3 days, 1 sauger and 12 identical 16 1/2-17″ ‘eyes. I did see some bigger fish caught, but not by me. I’ll definitely be back next year. As far as augers go, I had a 12″ extension on my Strikemaster and it was barely ok for my first two holes and wouldn’t make it on my next set, had to change to my 20″ extension on the ice. It all depended on where you were, sometimes the 12″ would have been enough, but a couple of times I needed ALL of the 20″. Best of luck!

Cameron white

I just got back today from 3 days on Lake Winnipeg. I used my snowmobile to get around. Saw mostly sleds and tracked UTVs. Did see some trucks, they couldn’t go everywhere and saw some getting stuck, but with temps going up, the snowpack should recede. Fishing, at least for me, was so-so, 13 fish in 3 days, 1 sauger and 12 identical 16 1/2-17″ ‘eyes. I did see some bigger fish caught, but not by me. I’ll definitely be back next year. As far as augers go, I had a 12″ extension on my Strikemaster and it was barely ok for my first two holes and wouldn’t make it on my next set, had to change to my 20″ extension on the ice. It all depended on where you were, sometimes the 12″ would have been enough, but a couple of times I needed ALL of the 20″. Best of luck!

Sorry you didn’t get on them rich. Hope you try again!

richsn
    SE/NW WI

Cam,

I’ll absolutely be back. On Lake W on any given drop there’s a master waiting for you, but it’s still fishing.

I learned a lot this time that I’ll apply next time!!

Also, for what it’s worth, I came out of Warner Road and it was it good shape, but on the weekend I’d get there early!

Corey sunderman

On way home from fishing Monday through Saturday. Ended with 47 over 25″ and 12 over 28″ biggest was 30″ fished 72 hrs and put on 141.7 miles on machine and lots of auger gas.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.