Lake Winnipeg 2/10-2/12

• busse3775
    Fargo, ND

Spent Friday and Saturday up on Lake Winnipeg chasing giant greenbacks and the bite was on the slower side for us.

Friday we headed out to the mouth of the Red River and tried varying depths from 10′ to 18′. We stayed mobile and moved quite a few times but only ended up with about 15 fish iced for the day with a 21″ being the biggest.

Saturday we headed 5 miles more North East out of Warner Road and tried deeper along a large pressure ridge. Again, the bite was pretty slow and weren’t marking many fish so we made moves to the East a mile at a time. For the evening bite we set up in 10′ at the mouth of the river and managed to get a 26″ that absolutely smoked a Jackall.

It was good to be back on Big Windy and came out of the trip with only a broken pole in the Otter. Will be back up in March!

pan-man

Thanks for update.

I am headed up in 2 weeks.

Cameron white

Ice ridges got really active. Be prepared.

Bigwalleye30
    MN

What’s the snow pack looking like up there and is the West side still pretty rough ice?

busse3775
    Fargo, ND

Yeah we were fishing next to a large pressure ridge and it shifted and water came at least a foot out of the hole. It felt like an earthquake. The West side has VERY rough ice and travel is slow going.

rvrrunner

How thick is the ice? Do you need an extension?

busse3775
    Fargo, ND

You absolutely need an extension. There is probably 3 feet of ice. I actually drilled a hole in one spot next to a pressure ridge where the ice must have overlapped each other. I drilled down as far as I could and still didn’t punch through. I had to move a couple yards away from the ridge to get a hole through.

jkarels

4 of us were there the same days. Fished by the mouth in 15fow on Fri caught about 40 fish for the 4 of us with a lot of 12-15″ fish.
    Sat we went a little deeper and didn’t do much better til the last hour of the day I caught a 28 1/2″ and a 27 1/2″.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.