Lake Vermillion

• Steve Kracht

Looking for recommendation of resort(s) on Lake Vermilion that accommodate a couple of guys that will be fishing 90% of the time.
    A decent docking set up would be my only requirement.
    Thanks

Brad Dimond

I’ve stayed at White Eagle a couple of times and had a good experience although we have not been there in recent years. It’s about as far west as you can get on the lake, depending on where you want to fish it can be a long boat ride to your spot.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

We have been staying at Shamrock for years, they do a great job for fisherman.

What part of the lake do you plan to spend your time fishing? Or don’t you care?

frank z

Retreat lodge center of lake fish east or west.Air conditioning wich alot of places on the lake dont have if summer is your time frame?

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

We have been staying at Shamrock for years, they do a great job for fisherman.

What part of the lake do you plan to spend your time fishing? Or don’t you care?

I’d say this is somewhat an important question as the difference between the west side and east is like being on two totally different lakes.

I’ve stayed at Forest Lane Resort a few times on the east side closer to Tower. More of a smaller ma and pa place but was nice. Had everything a couple fisherman would want but no onsite bar/restaurant.

It’s on Big Bay but they do provide lifts for your boat.

Steve Kracht

Thanks everyone, you’ve given me what I was looking to think about.
    Vermilion has been on my list of lakes to learn, this will get me thinking.
    Welcome any others comments as well.

Steve

sorgy

Give Whispering Winds a call as well. The Johnsons have nice cabins and a great dock setup. They are on the West end.

Tell them Sorgy sent you.

MNFishinGuy

I second the Spring Bay Resort recommendation!

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

What are some of the notable differences between the west and east side? I’ve never fished vermillion but it’s on my bucket list

Opie
    Coon Rapids, MN

I have to put a vote in for Life of Riley on the west end. Great dock set up, almost always protected from wind, and you will not meet nicer people than the Gilsons that run the resort for the last 40 years. This will be my 39th year there and I will stay no where else on the lake.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

What are some of the notable differences between the west and east side? I’ve never fished vermillion but it’s on my bucket list

That’s a great question and I’m glad that we can get back to more fishing related topics.

Perhaps @daveb1 can offer more insight as I believe he’s been a regular visitor there for a number of years.

My answer? Based on both my research and study and experience being there was that they’re like two very different fisheries.

First time I was there, I enjoyed a 2 week stint.

Yes, both sides include the same target species, the methods, tactics and ability to fish is very different. Plus, size structure and abundance varies significantly between the east and west side (talking about walleyes).

I was never on the west side, but from what I learned was that there were more smaller protected bays and techniques were more shallow, maybe more weed edge related.

East side where I fished had more open expanses of water with fish relating to deeper and more mid lake structure. Although not always the rule there either.

West side with more smaller protected bays will allow you more access and fishable days if/when the wind blows. On the east side (Big Bay area) there were some days I could not get out and could only look out the window wishing I was fishing.

I also did a fair share of muskie seeking. Big pike can be the bonus.

In conclusion, Vermilion is a spectacular setting and although at times a tough nut to crack…I’d say get there someday if you can.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I have to put a vote in for Life of Riley on the west end. Great dock set up, almost always protected from wind, and you will not meet nicer people than the Gilsons that run the resort for the last 40 years. This will be my 39th year there and I will stay no where else on the lake.

Ironically, when I was planning my first trip to Vermilion…they were the first resort I called. Unfortunately they weren’t taking reservations for my desired dates. They explained that it was football season and they had a son playing for North Dakota or ND State (can’t remember which) but I had to move on to my next choice…Forest Lane Resort. No regrets at Forest Lane, but I was disappointed I didn’t get the chance to fish the far west end.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>crappie55369 wrote:</div>

That’s a great question and I’m glad that we can get back to more fishing related topics.

Perhaps @daveb1 can offer more insight as I believe he’s been a regular visitor there for a number of years.

My answer? Based on both my research and study and experience being there was that they’re like two very different fisheries.

First time I was there, I enjoyed a 2 week stint.

Yes, both sides include the same target species, the methods, tactics and ability to fish is very different. Plus, size and abundance varies significantly between the east and west side (talking about walleyes).

I was never on the west side, but from what I learned was that there were more smaller protected bays and techniques were more shallow, maybe more weed edge related.

East side where I fished had more open expanses of water with fish relating to deeper and more mid lake structure. Although not always the rule there either.

West side with more smaller protected bays will allow you more access and fishable days if/when the wind blows. On the east side (Big Bay area) there were some days I could not get out and could only look out the window wishing I was fishing.

I also did a fair share of muskie seeking. Big pike can be the bonus.

In conclusion, Vermilion is a spectacular setting and although at times a tough nut to crack…I’d say get there someday if you can.

Thanks Andy. Is there a big difference in scenery west vs east? I’ve always heard it’s a beautiful lake and going up to enjoy the view would be close to the top of my list for wants.

I also really enjoy exploring in my boat and checking out different islands. Maybe I would enjoy the west side more for that reason.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Thanks Andy. Is there a big difference in scenery west vs east? I’ve always heard it’s a beautiful lake and going up to enjoy the view would be close to the top of my list for wants.

I also really enjoy exploring in my boat and checking out different islands. Maybe I would enjoy the west side more for that reason.

Unfortunately I was never on the west side however in hindsight that’s where I would start with if I were me (or you).

Beautiful spacious water on the east side, but the wind can shut down getting around. If you can get into Everett’s Bay, Pike bay or Stuntz Bay you’ll be okay…but if you have to get out of them to your originating spot, you can get your a$$ kicked if the wind is a wicked Witch. Terrible tragedy a few years ago with a handful of boaters drowning. sad

Try also if you can for fall. If you time it right…truly spectacular.

Hopefully that narrows it down for you (and anyone else), west side, mid to late September.

Let that color your world.

Timmy

Another vote for Retreat lodge. It’s somewhat centrally located in Birch Narrows, and run by super people. John(owner) seems to be always on the fish and can steer you straight. They are in more protected waters so docking is a cinch.

Steve Kracht

Thanks for the input guys.
    Really like the help on the differences between West / East.

Steve

BoatsHateMe
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

I’ve been to Life of Riley and Pehrson’s Lodge and loved them both. They are both on the West end. I also have spent time on the east end but never stayed down there.

Life of Riley is near the end of Norwegian bay. In my opinion it’s the most beautiful part of the lake. They are the third largest owners of property on the lake next to the tribe and Mark Dayton. That combined with much of the bay bay and property adjacent to theirs is state Forest Sunday its quiet and secluded. great spring crappie fishing close by too.

Pehrson’s was certainly more modern and cozy but it doesn’t sound like that is top priority. Also close to lots of great structure to fish. You won’t have to go far if you don’t want. I got my biggest walleye out of the lake not to far out in front wher there is a long weed line.

Both have nice docking facilities. Life of Riley has a great breakfast and I think depending on the time of year dinners too. Pehrson’s has more activities for families. Pehrson’s definitely had better bait. Life of Riley was more “river run” minnows. If you go there I’d bring your own bait.

The west end is more known for quality than quantity of fish, especially walleye. I believe the east end gets the stocking so there are more numbers but plenty of shorts. Like others have said the wind can get up on the east end. My experience on the east end with a friend who has a place in tower and knows that end well so we did well with numbers. That said when I go back again I’ll most likely go to the west end. Hopefully this spring depending on what world events bring.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Give Whispering Winds a call as well. The Johnsons have nice cabins and a great dock setup. They are on the West end.

[/quote if I wanted info on Vermillion this is the first guy I’d ask.
    Thanks Steve!

sorgy

My parents have a place on the West end between Head O Lakes Bay and Wakemup Bay where I have spent the last 50 + years. I don’t target walleyes much after Memorial Day.
    I will try to do some basic differences on the East vs West ends.
    West end has struggled the last 15 years with walleye young of the year showing up in the fall creel surveys. The walleye size structure is larger fish than the East end. Several guides I know on the West end take their clients East to catch the limit then fish West to catch large slot fish.
    East End has been affected by the Rusty crayfish and most weed beds have been decimated East of Oak Narrows and they have been working West affecting Niles bay as well.
    On the West end you can find many weed lines. Bays and sandy shorelines hold nice cabbage.
    There are growing numbers of Largemouth bass on the West end and good smallmouth on both basins.
    The West end has growing numbers of panfish-Crappies are becoming more common along many weedy bays and large schools have been seen in open water- untouched by most.
    Muskies are prevalent on both ends and the numbers are way down compared to 7 years ago. Rocks, Weeds and open water can produce fish on both ends. I hear fish tend to run heavier on the West end but I cannot confirm that.
    Both Spring Bay Resort and Whispering Winds Resort on the far West end have nice cabins and great docking. Jeremey at WW and Steve at SB can point you to good fishing spots.
    I strongly recommend the Breakfast at Life o Riley in the back of Norwegian Bay. Bring cash.

Good Luck

Steve

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Glenwood Lodge on Rice Bay is a nice, simple set up. Owner is a nice guy, I haven’t stayed there because we have our own property on Vermilion but I make a stop there every opener when things get slow during the middle of the day. And things will get slow during the middle of the day.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve stayed at Timbuktu right in the oak narrows, nice people.

Drizzy Musky
    Duluth

I second this opinion Whispering Winds is awesome. If not for Jeremy I think it would’ve taken me years to figure out the musky up there. I also much prefer the West end, crappie fishing can be a blast.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Lots of great info already shared. I’ve only been to Vermillion once, and we camped on Hinsdale Island which has a number of nice campsites, and is in the narrows between the East and West side. I’m interested in checking out the relatively new State Park on the East side/Stuntz Bay sometime too. We were Musky fishing in October and it was windy with a high of 35 for the weekend, so we fished mostly close to home. Missed a couple tanks, and I caught a bunch of eater walleyes jiggin when I wanted a break from casting. Scenery is great, and very comparable to Rainy Lake/VNP imo, which is about the highest compliment I can give a lake. Can’t wait to get back!

Al Case

I’ve fished Vermillion for over 30 years, almost exclusively on the east side. My buddy, who has fished with me for all of those years, finally bought a place on Vermillion two years ago, but on the west side. We haven’t had as much luck on the west side YET, and still make the run to the east side most of the time. We should hire a guide and try to learn the west side more. You can match the lake for beauty, but it’s hard to beat. My favorite MN lake, hands down.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.