Lake Propety, Cabin or Seasonal Lease

• Dillon Sanders

Yep i know where that is. To the op be very carefull if you have small kids. You don’t want them chasing dad across 169.

Nope… my kids are grown… Starting to think about what I want to do if and when I ever retire. <cough> (15 years)… Anyway I guess it used to be “Seguchie’s”??? Does that ring a bell? I can also rent or purchase a slip. But like you said I have to cross a busy highway to get to my boat. So I’m not totally sold at this point. That’s why I’m asking.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I would check at terry’s boat harbor. He has covered slips in a protected harbor. Your dock from the campground is in the bay. Go take a look.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I would check at terry’s boat harbor. He has covered slips in a protected harbor. Your dock from the campground is in the bay. Go take a look.

Dillon Sanders

Yeah I’d like to try to stay there and see it for myself. I did see the harbor on Google Earth but figured it was for “members only” kind of thing.

Kyhl
    Savage

It sounds like you are asking yourself the right questions.
    A couple other things to think about, do you want a lake view?
    Marina? Do they allow boat lifts?
    Winter access?
    Water, sewer, garbage? Probably included but I’d want to ask to make sure.

We went through a similar decision about two years ago. Was probably about the same point in life too, 15 years from retirement. Wanted multi-species water. Love Vermilion and been on it many times but it was not a drive I wanted to make every weekend from the south metro. Decided on the south side of Mille Lacs. From the south metro we can usually be there in less than two hours depending on traffic.
    Also, with Mille Lacs there are lots of smaller waters to the west and north that offer other options.

Another option is to look south. I have a co-worker that leases on a lake north of Faribault and they only have a one hour drive, the opposite direction of most Friday afternoon traffic. There are a lot of lakes down there with walleye, pan fish, pike, and musky, but not necessarily on the same lake. Might have to trailer the boat five minutes one direction or another to pick the species you are looking for that day.

As mentioned, upkeep is the big trade off between owning and leasing. We own and have to be around to mow weekly, and clean up leaves in the fall. Luckily we worked a deal with our neighbor to trade off mowing. So now we only mow every other week but twice as much to mow when it’s my turn. Leasers in the same park have no yard work to do but they pay twice as much each year for that luxury.

In a resort you can be packed into close quarters and you will get to know many of your neighbors, even in a 40′ by 100′ lot. It would be a plus to meet them prior to deciding. I don’t know that I could sign something this time of year having not met a few neighbors first.

Dillon Sanders

This would definitely be a “purchase after a test drive” kind of thing. I have no intentions of signing anything right now. Right now I’m in the questions mode. Very thankful for all the wisdom shared on this thread though. This summer I’ll be in the fishing, camping, trying, exploring the area mode.

We plan to hit the “Minneapolis Lake Home and Cabin Show” in February as well. But like you said Kyhl. I think I’m asking the right questions and have my head right.

Dutch Boy you’ve been a big help. Thanks a lot.

Dillon Sanders

Another option is to look south. I have a co-worker that leases on a lake north of Faribault and they only have a one hour drive, the opposite direction of most Friday afternoon traffic.

Kyhl… is it Roberd’s Lake that your co-worker leases on?

BrianF

After years of obsessing about buying a cabin on Lake Vermilion, we bit the bullet five years ago. Many pluses and many minuses to that decision. The pluses you already fantasize about and they are real. The minuses I either didn’t know about, cast aside, or grossly underestimated in my desire to own a place on the lake.

The biggest thing for me is the maintenance and repair. I underestimated the time, expense, and the pressure I felt in dealing with all that. Tried to do it all myself the first three years and it sucked a lot of the fun out of owning for me. Last two years, I’ve decided to write checks to folks for the work, which is painful in a different sort of way, but absolutely took the pressure off me to get the work done. My enjoyment level significantly improved. I now love driving up on a Thursday evening to freshly mowed grass, a beautifully stained log cabin, and neatly stacked firewood from a big tree that blew down in the last storm – all done by others. I’m a little more money poor, but richer in terms of the quality of my life’s experiences up there.

Vermilion was the only lake on which we would consider buying as it had: diverse game fish, big fish potential, was an enormous lake to provide fresh opportunities for exploration for years to come, lots of places to hide out from big wind and angling pressure, and is stunningly beautiful. As an avid angler, I would go mad being on a small lake, fishing the same spots over and over and over, or being on a huge lake in which the wind dictated whether I could even get out to fish.

Hopefully, this perspective gives you something useful to consider.

Brian

Kyhl
    Savage

Kyhl… is it Roberd’s Lake that your co-worker leases on?

I’m thinking they are on French but I could be wrong.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Can I ask, how did all of you guys go about finding the ‘cabin of your dreams’? Did you utilize a real estate service or drive around the community or search websites like Craigslist? What’s the best way to find a cabin say on a lake like vermilion?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Search the MLS St. Louis county Minnesota

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Great advise on this thread. I have many people ask me this same question every year. I tell them IMO you will pay less for association dues or a lease than you will in taxes on a cabin. Not to mention all the time you’ll get to relax instead of doing maintenance.

Alexandria is only 2 hours from the Twin Cites and has 100’s of lakes. The nice part about this is if one lake is slow there are a dozen more a few minutes away to choose from.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

As long as this thread is moving along well, I’m looking for a used Park Model (looks like a cabin with a pitched roof). Also would consider the right seasonal site on Cass or Leech.

If you know of something shoot me a message.

Thanks!!

Kyhl
    Savage

Can I ask, how did all of you guys go about finding the ‘cabin of your dreams’? Did you utilize a real estate service or drive around the community or search websites like Craigslist? What’s the best way to find a cabin say on a lake like vermilion?

All three. We started with an agent. Searched the interwebs. The most important is to drive around. We drove around for hours looking at neighborhoods, properties, and for sale signs. I was surprised how many things for sale are not on the internet.

And an agent will only show you something listed by another agent. They may show you something that is for sale by owner if you request it. Since most of the properties are FSBO using an agent takes a lot of properties out of your view.

IMO, #1, drive around and look. You will see much more for sale than an agent or websites will show you. And don’t be afraid to talk to the neighbors if they are around. They can be a great source of valuable information, not only about the neighborhood. I had one guy tell me what he thought a good value would be on his neighbor’s place that was for sale. And I agreed with him.

Edit, The neighbor may even have a key and give you a showing.

tcfishing
    Anoka, MN

I have a Park model at Little Winnie resort. I have been there now 4 years. I love it, very little maintenance.
    Things I like.
    I just pack up the boat, cooler, kids and dog and I ‘m gone. Once I get there unload the truck and we are ready to go. They have large lots and allow decks and your site. It is located a few miles from Winnie and close to many other lakes.
    Cost $1800.00 a year to lease the site which includes water, septic (at your site), electricity (it has it own meter that you pay at the end of year) and lawn care( they ask you to weed whip around your camper). The lodge has a pool, play ground, fish cleaning shack and garbage trailer. You also leave the trailer there all year.
    Things I don’t like.
    Not right on the lake or a lake view.
    Not really usable in the winter. They turn the water off mid October but you can still use your camper just no water.

Kyhl
    Savage

Another question to ask for an association and yourself is how the electric is allocated. Will you have your own electric and if not, will that bother you?

It bothered me to think that there are people using their place 24/7 and paying the same electric bill that I would be even if I only use it three weekends a year. There are also people that leave for the week with their AC running all week with the place sitting empty. Will you be ok with subsidizing their standard of living?

Dillon Sanders

Crappie, I’ve used the hell out of google. But it has mostly been for resorts or campgrounds that offer seasonal sites. And now I’ve started using this forum. This thread has been a huge help. I wished I’d have found this place sooner. When I was on Vermilion last summer I noticed 2 cabins with for sale sign from the lake side of the property. Meaning… Everyone is telling you to drive around the lake and look? I would also recommend launching and just tooling around the bays to see if you spot any for sale signs. My next step is the Minneapolis Lake Home and Cabin show in February. That is where I hope to find agencies that offer location services to broaden my search.

Alexandria is only 2 hours from the Twin Cites and has 100’s of lakes. The nice part about this is if one lake is slow there are a dozen more a few minutes away to choose from.

Are there places for seasonal sites to lease? What species are there to fish?

That’s one of the purposes of this thread as well guys. I know the big bodies of lakes and I know they will produce. BUT… What else is out there? Where are you leasing, owning, etc. I’d love to investigate those lakes.

I’m looking for lakes with Walleyes, Northerns, Muskies, LM and SM Bass. In that order.

I have a Park model at Little Winnie resort.

Sounds like a great place TCfishing. What species reside in that lake?

Another question to ask for an association and yourself is how the electric is allocated. Will you have your own electric and if not, will that bother you?

So far Kyhl in my searches I have only found places with dedicated meters per site. But it’s definitely something to look out for. I’d prefer to pay for only my electricity thank you.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Google for the chamber of commerce of a town in the area you are looking at. Example might be Alexandria. Those folks can hook you up with the tourism bureau for that area. They can send you a list of resorts.

For me, I do a lot of roadtrips in the winter when looking for stuff. Hop in a warm truck and go drive around the lakes. Little traffic, no leaves so you can see into the property better. If I see a seasonal park I might like I make a note and google / call when I get home to ask questions. Then add to a list to check out in the spring / summer. Many of those same resorts somebody will be around to talk to in the winter and have more time to spend with you.

90% of the lakes in Minnesota will have Walleye and Pike. Smaller percentage will also have Muskie and most within your travel area will have either Smallmouth or Largemouth. Few will have both.

blank

When deciding on location, depending on your personality and your other guests, you may want to factor in area attractions other than the lake and fishing.

Dillon Sanders

90% of the lakes in Minnesota will have Walleye and Pike. Smaller percentage will also have Muskie and most within your travel area will have either Smallmouth or Largemouth. Few will have both.

Good point DB…

When decided on location, depending on your personality and your other guests, you may want to factor in area attractions other than the lake and fishing.

Another good point Blank. That was one of the things my wife liked about Leech. She could go shopping in Walker rather than stuck on the boat some days.

big_g
    Isle, MN

FWIW, we went with a place “across the road” from the lake back in the woods. Taxes are minimal and we have a private boat launch on the harbor that we use along with our neighbors. We have just over 2 acres, so mowing with a 54″ rider takes about 3 beers, I usually have that done friday night. On the lake is nice, but I think adds more work… if we don’t mow for 3 weeks, there are no neighbors to complain…. they can’t see our place through the tress devil

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Another good point Blank. That was one of the things my wife liked about Leech. She could go shopping in Walker rather than stuck on the boat some days.

Location wise there are a number of areas that would fit your bill. Alexandria, Mille Lacs, Fergus Falls, Detroit Lakes, Park Rapids/Walker, Brainerd, Grand Rapids and Bemidji (among others). All of these areas will have great options for Walleye and Northern with a muskie lake nearby. They all are great areas with a lot of options for the wife, or non-fishing visitors. All of these areas have lakes with seasonal sites as well. Personally, my parents retired to a cabin on Lake Belle Taine in Nevis, and when I visit I bring my boat and leave it on the trailer because I usually fish other lakes and there are 99 lakes within 10 miles. I mention this because if I were in your shoes, I would be shopping the areas as much as the specific lake. And I would prioritize the lot/park setup, location in relation to where you will be spending the most time, and commute time above a specific lake or fish species.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

It sounds life you are leaning towards an RV rather than a cabin. You may want to skip the cabin show and go to the RV and Camper show instead.

http://www.gsevents.com/shows/display.cfm?showID=72&showtypeid=1&src=335&sfid=77

For Mille Lacs, the drive around is good advise. If you find a resort that fits your style, I can almost guarantee there will be an RV there for sale. (or ice house cabin)

For me, I did the RV/Resort thing on Mille Lacs for nearly 20 years. There are positives and negatives. No one place will be perfect, that’s for sure. I bought a place on the lake. Not shoreline, but have a harbor access and a nice view. The extra work is worth it. Not paying rent and not having a lot of rules to worry about now is great for me.

If I were to do go back and do something different, I’d take a real close look at the Mille Lacs Island resort. This place is all Park models, big lots, nice harbor access and more. Just an idea to check out.

http://www.millelacsislandresort.com

Good luck,
    -J.

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

For the trailer home that my grandparents own within a resort, I/we love the fact that it is on the water. We end up going in and out several times a day, and it is no big deal since the boat is docked 50 yards from the front door rather than trailering it. We typically get up and fish in the morning for a few hours, come in for breakfast, head back out for a few hours, come in for lunch, then enjoy the afternoon in the summer with other family (beach, boating, tubing, maybe a nap… etc.), have dinner, then head back out for an evening walleye bite.

Dillon Sanders

Big Werm, Jon. Thanks for the suggestions. I’m going to have a lot of fun checking all that out. A brief look at the Island Resort link looks fun… I’ll dig deeper.

We are planning to hit the RV show one day and the cabin show the next.

I’m beginning to think this way. From the feedback here cabins require a lot of maintenance. I’d rather be fishing. My thought is an RV has a shelf life. Once it’s goodies are used up just buy a new RV and switch them out.

Now I wonder if owning a plot would be better than leasing. Plot for an RV that is.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Not in the beginning. Spend 3 or 4 years on the lake first. Make sure you and your wife like the RV life and the area. If after that buy something. Remember, when you buy you will be adding water, electric & sewer to the property RIGHT AWAY. Doesn’t take long to sink a bit of change into a activity you might not be cut out for.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

I mention this because if I were in your shoes, I would be shopping the areas as much as the specific lake

The biggest thing for me is the maintenance and repair. I underestimated the time, expense, and the pressure I felt in dealing with all that. Tried to do it all myself the first three years and it sucked a lot of the fun out of owning for me. Last two years, I’ve decided to write checks to folks for the work, which is painful in a different sort of way, but absolutely took the pressure off me to get the work done. My enjoyment level significantly improved.

If I could sum up the best of the best advice in this thread it’s these two quotes.

Non-fishing items like yoga in Nisswa mean a lot to my wife. If I’m buying a place with my hard core fishing buddy it will be primitive in Ontario. Best of luck and I’ve spent my 2 cents.

tpmorgz
    Central Iowa

The biggest thing for me is the maintenance and repair. I underestimated the time, expense, and the pressure I felt in dealing with all that. Tried to do it all myself the first three years and it sucked a lot of the fun out of owning for me. Last two years, I’ve decided to write checks to folks for the work, which is painful in a different sort of way, but absolutely took the pressure off me to get the work done. My enjoyment level significantly improved. I now love driving up on a Thursday evening to freshly mowed grass, a beautifully stained log cabin, and neatly stacked firewood from a big tree that blew down in the last storm – all done by others. I’m a little more money poor, but richer in terms of the quality of my life’s experiences up there.

Nailed it.

huskerdu

Having leased and own lake property (currently) don’t forget to add taxes and insurance in the $ equation my current cabin costs over 400.00 a month in fixed costs whether it’s being used or empty. I call it labor camp! Always a project. I also have a hunting property with a lodge in ND , you still have fixed costs with all ownership.
    The wife likes the lake but has only been to hunting property 1 time.
    The fishing has been going down hill in the last 5 years, I am still locked into the same lake. With a RV or Park model you can move, but never build any equity.
    A lot of campgrounds or seasonal sites have all kinds of rules.
    The rules are not always the same for everyone.
    Life is full of trade offs????

Dillon Sanders

I hadn’t considered taxes and insurance Huskerdu. But like you said… “IF” I’m leasing I’m not building any equity. And that gives me some heart burn. My father always said. It’s better to own the rent. Of course he was talking about my home but… same principle. So… Like you said. “Trade Offs”

BTW Huskerdu… What lake are you on?

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 82 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.