Lake Of The Woods

• Fishman769

Headed up to lake of the woods Thursday and Friday. Going out with the wheel house. How is off road travel with the truck?

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

As of last weekend it was packed pretty good. Snow wise I’d say rathther easy. But there are lots of heaves (at least on the west side of the lake). I’d be sure to follow existing trails as much as possible.

Where ya heading out of?

Watch for suspended fish and reel up for them. Most were walleyes for me and they were the most aggressive fish. Many of the fish I found on the bottom were just lookers. I went 15 for 17 on suspended fish.

Fishman769

Going out of Adrians. Looking to put the house down for morning and evening bite, then drive around and find fish with portables around midday

PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

TJ – I’m heading up with a group on Thursday-Saturday as well. Let’s stay in touch here via PM as we’ll be staying at Busgys and are exploring using their road and Adrians. It would be great to have a couple groups out there voicing reports off each other. Should be an awesome weekend with the weather forecast.

CaptainMusky

IMO you are going to have a tough time venturing too far off Adrians. The broken up ice is incredible over there. If you leave your house in closer to Pine for the early/late bite and have snowmobiles to take the snowmobile trail you could get to some good spots. Its like the surface of the moon out there. Even if it looks smooth, that is deceiving because of drifted snow. There are sheets of ice a foot thick the size of a pool table sticking straight in the air.

krappiekilla
    Zimmerman, MN

I will also be there Thursday-Sunday. We are staying at Slims and have not decided where we will be going out of. We will have a 4 wheeler with us to move around so hoping that it helps!

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

Its like the surface of the moon out there. Even if it looks smooth, that is deceiving because of drifted snow. There are sheets of ice a foot thick the size of a pool table sticking straight in the air.

CM expressed this much better than I was able to! He’s spot on. I’ve never seen the ice like that up there. I’d be hesitant to venture off the roads too far, especially in low light. Same goes for snowmobile/atv traffic, some of the ice sheets only stick up a 1-2′ but you won’t see them until you hit them in low light.

jld
    Holmen

The weather heading into Friday is setting up great for the weekend. Hopefully the fish cooperate!

Justin Carlson
    Lennox SD

I was just there this last weekend. It was a tough bite a lot of lookers. Our first day we had some 14inch up to 17 inch walleye. the second day it was 13inch and under. It was our first time up there and we were in a shack though a resort so we couldn’t move. We did have a great time, we just wish the fishing was a little better. We learned a lot, I wish we would have been able to move around more to find the fish. The ice where we were was 4 foot deep and we had two extentions on an ion auger. I hope you have a better bite than we did. Good luck.

CaptainMusky

The bite has been pretty bad by most accounts the majority of the season, at least since mid January or so. I think the main contributing factor is the fact that you cannot effectively move around off the roads much to find active fish. They are out there, its just difficult to get to them without a snowmobile.
    I was up in mid Feb and it was the worst I have ever experienced, but again, we didn’t have a snowmobile so we were really limited in where we could go. Talked to a group of 3 guys who had done quite well however the first day. They had snowmobiles so were able to move around to find them.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.