Lake Michigan Salmon Fishing Charter Recommendations

• Nick Schmitz

My father-in-law is checking things off of his bucket list and wants to go salmon fishing on Lake Michigan. Currently the tentative date is set for the weekend after the Minnesota fishing opener in May. The problem we have is that none of us guys that are going have ever gone there or know anything about fishing salmon there. Does anyone have any recommendations for an outfit that offers both a charter and lodging, or just a charter boat service that you would recommend? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

A former prostaffer here on IDO
    Captain Mike Finke
    Salmonchasers.com

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

When you say salmon you can go for king’s and or coho. Coho are caught on the south end and king’s fire up to the north depending on water temps. If your looking for a great king bite I would suggest Top Banana Charters
    Capt. Pat Veeser 920-362-4040 out of sturgeon bay. They will have the lodging for you also but book early they fill up fast if not already booked.

Musky Ed

If you actually want to go for salmon the second week in May, you’ll probably want to book a charter from Sheboygan and South of that. While some charters are starting to go out of Sturgeon bay at that time, salmon fishing there doesn’t usally kick off till about June up there. Things could be slightly different this year due to the warmer weather. I have a place in Sturgeon bay, and fish there, and off Racine regularly. Going at that time, your charter will probably be fishing for trout or coho unless you are the only ones on the charter and ask them to fish for salmon. If you can put it off to late may or early June, you would be better for salmon. I have had some fantastic salmon fishing off racine in the end of May, early June. Also not much for coho, Algoma north.

casey walters
    Mapleton, MN

Few years ago we did a trip around that time but went to Port Winthrop went through Kinn’s sport fishing got a bunch of Coho action was fast. Fun trip and great crew.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

A former prostaffer here on IDO
    Captain Mike Finke
    Salmonchasers.com

X2 on Mike Finke. I have fished with Mike several times. He goes out of Two Rivers, WI. Not only is Mike a Great fishermen, but a Great guy as well. He will do everything possible to get you on Fish. Like others have said, May is not the greatest month normally. We normally go Mid June ( Best mixed bag time of the season ) Check out the website above for more detail.

joemama
    North St Paul

I’m not an expert but have used a number of charters. The best, hands down was Sturgeon Bay Outdoors. They have sleeping arraingements, excellent guides, great food recommendations and a reasonable price..I’m already booked for this year.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.