Lake Finder Dashboard

• Tommy

Did a little fun project for myself that I thought some here might be interested in looking at. Always thought the lake finder data from the MN DNR could be showcased better than it is, so I took it upon myself to take a crack at it. I only did Lake Vermilion to start with, but I can easily add more lakes if I choose to do so. Just did the one to prove I could, and I just got a place on Vermilion so I selfishly started there.

Link

Snake ii’s

Very cool! Great work, like the visuals.

Justin riegel

I like the dashboard, very cool being able to see the trends.

munchy
    NULL

That’s cool! One suggestion is making it a bit more mobile friendly, but awesome concept!

Are you automatically pulling the data from the sources or are they manually input?

Tommy

Yeah def not mobile friendly. Was able to make this a quarterly goal for my job to work on while I’m slow, so I might be able to sneak in a mobile view at some point.

I manually downloaded the full JSON files on the survey webpage, and CSVs for water level and ice in/out. So I put all of it into our own cloud warehouse and parsed/cleaned data there.

Would be awesome if I could just connect to the DNR’s entire database, but I doubt I could get access to that.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

That is AWESOME! And I’d recommend reaching out to the Head of Fisheries and/or Commissioner Strommen, to see if they could take your base build out and build it into the lake finder system. Would be awesome addition to the already existing data.

munchy
    NULL

Would be awesome if I could just connect to the DNR’s entire database, but I doubt I could get access to that.

At the bottom of the page there is a link. Have you checked into that?

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20211116-091903_Chrome.jpg

Tommy

Yeah that’s where I got it from, but by clicking the link you just get the one specific lake’s data and not every lake within LakeFinder. Unless there’s some master page that I haven’t found.

The nice thing is you see all years of that lake’s data rather than just the 1 by 1 selection you get on the webpage normally.

I potentially could connect to that exact webpage and have it capture whenever a new survey gets added. I’d just need to verify that the URL doesn’t change as the content does. Also costs money to run things on a schedule on the cloud, and I don’t want to run up the bill on my employer TOO much. Storage is cheap though.

Lots of fun things I could do from here, just haven’t settled on what I’d want to do and what gets a good payoff compared to time etc. But with all my cleansing scripts saved, the heavy lifting is done for anything else I’d want to add to the warehouse.

Cleansing and managing data pipelines is my professional jam, and to pair it with my love of fishing seemed like a fun challenge.

CaptainMusky

Well really nicely displayed (on PC anyway). Like others have said its interesting to see the trends.

brandmoney

I thoroughly enjoyed this. Great job

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.