Lake Erie report 2/28-3/1

• Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

Lately there has been a great deal of interest surrounding ice fishing at Lake Erie. It was enough to convince me I had to give it a go. Last week I made some calls to a few buddies and put a plan together. Even though it was short notice, everyone jumped in with both feet.

After a long drive and a late night, we arrived in Port Clinton. We enjoyed a few cold ones while drawing up a game plan to attack the lake the next morning. Luckily for us, we had some good intel from some fellow IDOers that helped out immensely. Lake Erie is dauntingly huge and overwhelming. The enormity of it hit full speed once we headed out to the landing that morning. There were hundreds, if not thousands of people in the parking lot at 6am. Pure crazy excitement. Tip? Get to the access’s early. Very early. They have been filling up on weekends and I’m told local law enforcement has been turning people away once the lots are full.

Travel on the lake is great for either sleds or wheelers. There are some established paths out to the various fishing grounds. My advice to newbies on Lake Erie, would be to travel out on these paths and don’t venture far off. There are heaves that get pretty gnarly in places and the trails will lead you to a safe crossing point. We found ice to be in very good condition, ranging from 12-20 inches. Be absolutely sure you have a working GPS before you head out. This monster body of water is nothing to take lightly. Without GPS Sunday, we never would have been able to get off the lake. It was snowing steady all day which made it super easy to get disoriented.

Ok, onto the fishing. The bite was very good on Saturday with everyone in the group getting in on good action. A couple of my buddies used #3-#5 Rapala Jigging Raps in various colors. I personally used 1/8 VMC Tingler spoons, the best being on Glow Chartreuse Shiner. We tipped all baits with a shiner head. Our best depths ranged from 22-25′ of water, with most of the better fish roaming 5-10 feet off the bottom in groups. These suspended fish were the most active and would readily slam the bait. We also marked a ton of fish near the bottom, but they were a little more difficult to convince and usually ran smaller.

One thing I can’t stress enough is moving when you don’t see fish. These schools move and can be tough to find again once you lose them. Although we iced nice fish Sunday as well, we found it extremely difficult to stay on any consistent bunches of fish.

I’d again like to thank the guys that steered us in the right direction. You made the trip very enjoyable.
    Andy

Here are a few pics from the trip:

4walleye
    Central SD

Looks like you had a great time Andy! Great read and information. The Great Lakes are very intimidating and like you said you better go prepared and take all safety precautions. So would you go back again? grin

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

WOW.!! That had to a be a REAL BLAST. Awesome Pics. I have to do that sometime. Congrats.! As James would say that’s Incredible Fish waytogo … …rrr

Awesome fish!!

Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

Looks like you had a great time Andy! Great read and information. The Great Lakes are very intimidating and like you said you better go prepared and take all safety precautions. So would you go back again? grin

To be honest? YEAH!

I’m contemplating going again in a week or 2. That place is addicting.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Andy… thanks for sharing. I’m hoping to head out Sunday night when weather looks to get solid. I’m already having a hard time getting my work done, distracted by thoughts of seeing that area.

All I can find at the stores around here now are #7 raps (few at that). Probably too big? On the #3 and 5’s, is it good to change the bottom hook?

A little off topic… but did you see or talk with anyone getting into the also popular perch out there? I’ve never caught them through the ice, and thought it would be cool to spend some time trying. I can’t find any conversation or even mentions of guys catching them through the ice.

Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

As far as jigging raps go, we didn’t change the hooks. I find the hooks that come on them perfectly adequate. To say you couldn’t do well on the #7 would be a stretch, but the smaller versions were better for us.

Try that Tingler spoon – really. I caught a ton of fish on one. If they started to slide off the screen, a swift stroke of the rod and fluttering drop would make them come back and bite, pretty cool.

We caught no yellow perch. We did however, have a tough time getting away from the pesky white perch. Some places you’d graph schools of them in every hole.

Bryan Myers

That looks like an absolute blast! That is one trip that is defiantly on my bucket list. Awesome fish and pics!

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Pretty awesome bunch of walleyes there Andy!
    Impressive fishing to say the least.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Your smile in that first pic tells the entire story – great job waytogo

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

To be honest? YEAH!

I am trying to get my brother-in-law to head out there next weekend. Depends on if he can get out of a work thing or not… That part that worries me is it will be 56 degrees there next Friday and Saturday (March 13 & 14). With it being a large body of water that you need to respect, I don’t know if that’s something to mess with or not?

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Andy Fiolka wrote:</div>
    To be honest? YEAH!

I am trying to get my brother-in-law to head out there next weekend. Depends on if he can get out of a work thing or not… That part that worries me is it will be 56 degrees there next Friday and Saturday (March 13 & 14). With it being a large body of water that you need to respect, I don’t know if that’s something to mess with or not?

56 is warm, but I would be much more concerned with and type of wind! That can change things in a hurry.

FDR

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

56 is warm, but I would be much more concerned with and type of wind! That can change things in a hurry.

FDR

The 13th is 15-25 mph out of the South, the 14th is 7-17 mph out of the southwest. I’m guessing a South wind is what you don’t want? So it doesn’t blow your sheet of ice away from shore if it were to happen to break? Sorry, I have little experience on large lakes like Erie.

steuben1
    Indiana

South winds like that late in the season, make sure you take your passport with you!

Chuck Melcher

South winds like that late in the season, make sure you take your passport with you!

Shhhhhhh…. don’t even put that out there. I’m 90% sure to be going for the first time this coming Monday-Thursday, and I can’t get extra time off for a long ATV ride back around the west side of the lake to get back to my truck.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>steuben1 wrote:</div>

Shhhhhhh…. don’t even put that out there. I’m 90% sure to be going for the first time this coming Monday-Thursday, and I can’t get extra time off for a long ATV ride back around the west side of the lake to get back to my truck.

Well….if you get enough west winds….you could fly out from Peele Island…though you could fish my favorite spots out from Colchester

Attachments:
    1. peele-island-air.jpg

Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

My advice to people wanting to head out there, would be to heed the advice of the locals. If they say don’t fish on a stiff south wind, I guess I’d stay on shore. No 10 pound walleye is worth getting in some serious trouble for, or worse yet, end up lost or in the drink.

We relied heavily on advice from people in the know. There are areas of the lake we were told are a “no-go”. This isn’t Lake of the Woods fellas, it’s a whole different beast.

Good luck and stay safe to everyone heading out. Keep your GPS batteries charged and go out there prepared.

Andy

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

56 degrees, 25 mph south winds. I think I just answered my own question about driving out there next weekend. Minnesota panfish bite sounds cheaper and safer, and probably less fun and dramatic.

steuben1
    Indiana

My advice to people wanting to head out there, would be to heed the advice of the locals. If they say don’t fish on a stiff south wind, I guess I’d stay on shore. No 10 pound walleye is worth getting in some serious trouble for, or worse yet, end up lost or in the drink.

We relied heavily on advice from people in the know. There are areas of the lake we were told are a “no-go”. This isn’t Lake of the Woods fellas, it’s a whole different beast.

Good luck and stay safe to everyone heading out. Keep your GPS batteries charged and go out there prepared.

Andy

Exactly right Andy. She can be down right nasty when she wants to be. How did you like that ride in on Sunday? Man I couldn’t see anything! Total whiteout. We did not get to meet but I think we were fishing the same area on Sunday morning. Kinda quiet in that area so I ran 5 miles east and found a few. Believe it or not, I run with (2) GPS’s when I’m out there. Sunday was a perfect example of why I do that.

Jeff

Zach Peterson
    Austin, Mn

I will second Andy’s opinion of heeding to the advice of the locals. We somehow lost our GPS track after running all over the lake Sunday and had to basically follow the shoreline back to our starting area in the dark. Wasn’t an easy feeling on the ride back in.

eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

Nice report Andy, and great fish! We just got back last night and had a great time on our maiden ice voyage out there as well. (Despite several atv issues….)

Our half day on Saturday resulted in a two man limit and releasing a few more. Sunday was tough for us. Snow and low visibility caused us to stay fairly close to our port and we never really got on em. Only got a few, and barely even marked fish. Everybody else we talked to said it was a very tough day as well.

Monday, we got to see why everybody raves about Lake Erie. In our first spot, we caught three and then it died. Moved about .75mi away and saw two marks in the hole, the minute i dropped in the transducer. Long story short, we caught the snot out of em all day in two holes. No big fish, but all the 18-24s you could handle. We were all by ourselves at first, nobody within a mile, but by the time we called it, we were surrounded by a village. Everybody who moved in on us caught em too, and it didn’t seem to slow the bite one bit. It was absolutely incredible.

I cannot wait to get back out there, but I doubt I’ll be able to this ice season. The people rock out there and I love bodies of water where success can be directly proportional to how much work you’re willing to put in. There are no “spots” out there. You just have to go find em, and when you do, there is nothing more rewarding.

Attachments:
    1. photo-5-3.jpg

2. photo-4-11.jpg

3. photo-2-20.jpg

4. photo-3-19.jpg

5. photo-1-20.jpg

kylem86

What access did you use Andy? Due to weather this morning we are looking for access points now, in the dark to fish tomorrow.

Chuck Melcher

Very cool Nate… hope the ice holds into next week!

Kylem, where did you run into problems? I posted info on a bait shop, if you seen it, was it decent or did you find something better.

Hope it gets better for you!

Chuck Melcher

Nate… is that an open crack you guys are fishing through? How thick was the ice there? Any tips for us?

kylem86

The weather, took us longer to get here then expected. Had to drive through and ice storm.

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

Nate… is that an open crack you guys are fishing through? How thick was the ice there? Any tips for us?

It is, isn’t it? shock

Andrew Byers
    Allegan, MI

Great work guys!! we are heading there friday morning for the first time. we cant wait! looks like we will be at crane creek for parking. coming down from SW MI. hopefully the weather holds up for us all weekend. anyone heading that way that want to meet up with some fellow anglers? two of us maybe 3, but we all have snowmobiles, shanties, gas auger, and GPS so noone has to baby sit us. just need someone to trail for safety reasons; otherwise, we will be trying to meet up with some locals who are willing to put up with us. )

eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

Chuck- That is indeed a crack that we fished out of. It’s not meant to worry anybody by any means though. It was actually the only open crack we found during our time on the lake. It ran about a quarter mile and was about a foot wide when we found it. I just had to take the opportunity to fish it, and we actually each caught one out of it….. The ice was just as thick at that crack as anywhere else, and it actually closed up within an hour, forcing us to move. Overall, the ice is in GREAT shape and travel was very good. You do have to keep you eyes open and use your head, but that’s ice fishing anywhere.

eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

@Andrew- I think you’ll find that most of the locals are extremely friendly and willing to help out there. They seem to know that there are PLENTY of fish in the lake and no real spots, so helping each other out is the best way for everybody to be successful. The massive amount of anglers pouring into these towns helps to stimulate the local economy and they know it. So, if you need help or have a question, just ask somebody. I think you’ll be suprised by the responses you get. THis place isn’t like most other fishing destinations. It’s way better.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.