Lake Erie 2020

• David Blais

It looks like 3 lines per person is now allowed on the Ohio portion of Lake Erie. Affect Jan 2020.

We are looking forward to our trip mid April to South Bass Island. Any other heading that way?

buck-slayer

Going to miss our trip in May for some surgery I need. But we also stay on S Bass. Love fishing out there but hate driving thru Chicago. Although there is a reason to go to Illinois now.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

I hope for a last minute trip, even solo in late March or during April. I’ll be looking for 3-4 days of weather for my small boat again – mid week. May was great in 2018 after all the messy conditions earlier in the Spring… plus it was nice being quite a bit warmer. Jigging bite was past – but plenty of great fish off the reefs trolling. Work kicks in by then so I have to try earlier… it is cool seeing they are getting out and doing well already.

I like the three lines change – being by myself even more as it gives me one more line to help figure things out… plus pass time if it is slow.

They also added that extra permit fee through April for out of state guys like us – but what you going to do. I do hate going through Chicago as well – those tolls all through IL/ IN really add up quick with a boat.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

There is a ferry that goes Millwaukee to Muskegon. Kind of spendy but saves time and avoid toll roads and Chicago.

Brad Dimond

Get an iPass. Tolls with the iPass are 50% less than paying cash plus with in-lane tolling you don’t have to pull in to the toll booths. My in’laws have a cottage in western Michigan (on a small lake, not the big one) and we’ve been using the iPass for decades. Small up front deposit, good for Illinois and Indiana.

riverruns
    Inactive

We’ll be going to Oak Harbor. More than likely jigging. Fish for 4 days.

David Blais

The “permit” fee was last year as well. It’s only $10. It if it was $50, I’d still pay it

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

There is a ferry that goes Millwaukee to Muskegon. Kind of spendy but saves time and avoid toll roads and Chicago.

I’ve used that ferry twice. I find it very relaxing.

Yellow Fever
    Kingston Ontario

I am going for a week on April 1st then 2 weeks in mid May, I love Port Clinton and fishing there

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

May seem odd… but any of you ever fish the creeks or even Sandusky bay for crappie? When I was there last it would have been nice to do that when it was too windy for my 17’ boat on the big water. I stay in Port Clinton if possible do to the short notice. Looking for a back up plan if I can’t get out for a day…
    Where are you guys from? I’m in SE WI.

snelson223
    Austin MN

We were out there a few years ago and couldn’t get out on the lake and we fished the river in Sandusky and did better than fishing the lake. That was in mid April. Make sure you know the rules. Single hook and no snagging. Its really easy to snag them by accident. Jigs and plastics in the river.

David Blais

We are going to try some of those new Rip Shad 44 mags. The larger profile shad bait should do well out there

David Blais

Picked some of these up! Excited to use them

Attachments:
    1. 15D7F14C-181B-4E27-97A9-56DBE067E9D6.jpeg

riverruns
    Inactive

Picked some of these up! Excited to use them

I’m sure those will be great for trolling.

Last year was our 1st year fishing and were jigging. All we used were purple 3/4 oz killer jigs. Hair jigs.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for what we should take along and use for a jig bite? We didn’t use any live bait or plastics. Thanks.

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

If you want a bait specifically designed with Erie in mind, check out the Walleye Nation Creations Reaper. 24′ with 125′ of line is what the precision trolling ap says. I’ve only ran them 17′ down on Pepin, but will run them on Erie this year hopefully. I follow these guys on facebook, and there are pictures out of Erie all the time.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.