Lake Despair

• super_do
    St Michael, MN

Anybody ever fish Lake Despair just northwest of Rainy? Never been there and trying to figure out what to take for gear.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason Boeck

I’ve fished it every year for the past 15 years during mid-late sept. Generally the numbers come from jigs, but we catch our bigger fish with lead core or deep diving raps. Lindys and spinner will put some fish in the boat too, but generally we do best with jigs.

The last few years Despair had been pretty slow for us so we did almost all of our fishing up in Jackfish, however the owner of the cabin we stay at has said they’ve been catching a lot of walleyes on Despair this summer.

When are you going?

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Lake Despair! I haven’t thought about that lake in a long time.

I spent a weekend up there back in the early 80’s, so any information I have is probably a little out of date rotflol

It was the first time I caught a big Smallmouth with a top water fly and a fly rod.

SR

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

I fished the smallmouth tournament ran by Bill and Nelly Goodin from Lake Despair lodge 10 plus years ago. Very good smallmouth lake, lots of action on topwater baits. I would bring some along for an early morning or late evening bite to change things up from walleye fishing. Any topwater bait worked.
    Very fun lake system to fish. Have fun

super_do
    St Michael, MN

Thanks guys. We were going to head up Saturday. Relative that invited me decided not to go now. I got my hopes up for nothing.

Thanks again.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.