Ladder stand on leaning tree?

• Reef W

I have a group of cedars that are the only big trees in the area to attach to. The problem is that the tree on the edge of the ideal direction to face is leaning. Is it possible to attach to the tree on the left side of the picture? The lean is towards the direction I want to face.

The obvious problems seem like the chair would hit the tree or your head wouldn’t have space maybe? I’ve never had a ladder stand so I don’t know how far off the tree things are. Is there any way to offset it more?

Attachments:
    1. 20220904_155433-scaled.jpg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I wouldn’t put it on that leaner. I try to find the tree that is standing most straight up. If you put it against that tree, you’ll always be leaning forward while sitting in your stand. That will get old and uncomfortable real quick. I know from personal experience.

Reef W

I wouldn’t put it on that leaner. I try to find the tree that is standing most straight up. If you put it against that tree, you’ll always be leaning forward while sitting in your stand. That will get old and uncomfortable real quick. I know from personal experience.

I didn’t even think of that… I guess I assumed there would be some leveling options but, again, I know nothing about them. Can hangons adjust enough for that tree? I have a XOP Evolution that says it adjust but I don’t know how much yet. I can try and see what it’s like but this is the most easily accessible spot which is why I wanted a ladder here.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>

I didn’t even think of that… I guess I assumed there would be some leveling options but, again, I know nothing about them. Can hangons adjust enough for that tree? I have a XOP Evolution that says it adjust but I don’t know how much yet. I can try and see what it’s like but this is the most easily accessible spot which is why I wanted a ladder here.

I believe what will happen is the stand itself will sit level. You however will be forced to conform to the lean of the tree. Same situation with a hang on, except without enough adjustment, the stand will also lean forward. Not a safe situation for either stand.
    Ideally you want the tree to be straight vertical or leaning away from you so you are not being crowded off your platform.

Reef W

I believe what will happen is the stand itself will sit level. You however will be forced to conform to the lean of the tree. Same situation with a hang on, except without enough adjustment, the stand will also lean forward. Not a safe situation for either stand.
    Ideally you want the tree to be straight vertical or leaning away from you so you are not be crowded off your platform.

Makes sense. Do you think the one leaning back the other way would work? That would be second choice here.

Michael Best

I am assuming you want to face left. Is this correct? If so hang a portable in the tree I marked and use a 20’ ladder stick to get into it.

Attachments:
    1. 53E85F62-9C20-474D-BC41-74F677645C26.jpeg

pass0047
    Pool4

Hunted out of tree leaning forward for a year and pretty uncomfortable. Switched with angle leaning away and much more comfortable

Reef W

I am assuming you want to face left. Is this correct? If so hang a portable in the tree I marked and use a 20’ ladder stick to get into it.

Yeah, that’s what I meant. Would be nice to not block the right side with the other trees but I think that’s the least important direction in this spot. I’ll try it on the one that leans back that you drew on.

Thanks everyone.

stevenoak

To wander a little off topic. If you use the massed produced made in China ladder stands. Check them over very good after 3 to 5 years. Especially if you leave them out all year. We had one in that age range that looked great, not a spot of rust showing. But they only powder coat the outsides. We had a tree limb fall and smash one. It was basically a powder coated ball of rust. Inspect the insides before you put them up. I’ve gone to box blinds. But if I was to go back. I would take new ones and flood and drain the insides with rust resistant paint. I bought some metal shelving since the trip from China has slowed to a crawl. It amazing how rusty these products can get sitting on a ship on the ocean for 3 months.

Reef W

To wander a little off topic.

That’s good to know, thanks! I don’t think I plan on leaving it out year round but I suppose everyone gets lazy. Based on what’s available I was thinking of getting the Muddy Odyssey XTL. It’s not the cheapest one but I see GSM owns every brand anyways so I don’t know if it’s actually better then the cheapest Menards Big Game. Makes me feel a little better at least lol Any better recommendations I can get locally?

I’m also going to invest in some good safety gear. I’m more concerned about the hang-on and climbing sticks I’ll use elsewhere with size 13 winter boots, those pegs look really small, but will use it with this too. I’m thinking of getting the Summit Pro harness currently. Any thoughts on that?

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

If this is private that looks like a good set of trees to build a permanent stand.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Any better recommendations I can get locally?

The Muddy Odyssey XTL looks like a fine ladder stand. I use Sniper tree stands. They are made in Lakeville, MN and sold locally at several retail stores.

Reef W

If this is private that looks like a good set of trees to build a permanent stand.

It is my land and I think it’s a good spot but wanted to test it out before putting in the work on a permanent. That will be the long term plan if it works out though!

Reef W

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Reef Whooligan wrote:</div>
    Any better recommendations I can get locally?

The Muddy Odyssey XTL looks like a fine ladder stand. I use Sniper tree stands. They are made in Lakeville, MN and sold locally at several retail stores.

I’ll check them out

Deuces

Climb a lil higher and strap the 2 trees straight.

Cedar is rather flexible.

One could get a quick release for the strap and forego the firearm altogether, well executed pile driver will get er to the meat market.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

One could get a quick release for the strap and forego the firearm altogether, well executed pile driver will get er to the meat market.

I see someone has been watching to much looney toons this weekend!

CaptainMusky

I see someone has been watching to much looney toons this weekend!

A kid I went to HS with claimed he jumped on the back of a deer and slashed its throat while bowhunting. Pretty sure that never happened.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

A kid I went to HS with claimed he jumped on the back of a deer and slashed its throat while bowhunting. Pretty sure that never happened.

So you which one did you go to school with Rambo or Chuck Norris?

Deuces

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>

So you which one did you go to school with Rambo or Chuck Norris?

Sounds more like a lieutenant topper Harley move

catmando
    wis

. You got it right, plus you have more cover. DK.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.