Lac Seul water levels

• Kevin Cegielski

All,
    We are leaving in 2 weeks on a trip to south central Lac Seul. I’m concerned about water levels. Has anyone been on Lac Seul in the past week or so? We are booked at Williams Lake Lodge. The only way out to big water is through a narrow-shallow
    river channel. I suspect it’s almost dried up by now. Not sure the lodge owners are going to tell us until the day we arrive.
    Thoughts anyone? Thanks Kev C

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

we were up from June 23rd – July 1st, fishing on the southwest portion of the lake in the Bay of Islands/McKenzie Bay area. water level was down from last year obviously, but not “low” by any stretch. it takes a long time for water levels to change significantly on a system that large.

i suspect you’ll be fine, but if it’s an issue you can always trailer just up the road a bit further north to the public launch near Fisherman’s Cove resort.

it also looks like they might have a landing about half-way through the river where it widens? there’s a road that goes right to that spot and it’s listed as “River Landing” on one of the maps on the resort website. (???)

Location and Maps

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

Just got back from Central lac suel. It’s down about 3 feet from high-water marks on rocks.
    Mwal

CaptainMusky

We were on Lake of the Woods in early June and the water was down around 5 feet from that time last year. Lake of the Woods had historic levels last year though, not sure if Lac Seul was as high, but I am sure it was very high.
    We stayed at a resort for the first time this year and it was crazy where the water reached! It was inside the boat house and the boardwalk is at least 4 feet above current water level, but the water went well inside the buildings.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

let’s not scare the OP too much!

yes Lac Seul is down ~3′ from last year (as is LotW) but that’s just when compared to the crazy high water last year. both of those systems have essentially returned to the long-term average, with a trend right now of slightly on the low side of normal due to the dry summer so far.

CaptainMusky

Michael is right on. While the lakes are down considerably they are not low by any stretch of the imagination. They are basically at perfect levels IMO. There have been years when on LOW that it was really low and things that you never knew existed reared their ugly heads! It was a good time to mark those things so you knew they were there when the levels went back up so you didnt hit them.

Captain
    Baxter, MN

We were up last week. The water level is down about 1 foot for this time of year based on our experience

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.