Kind of Catfish?

• bassn7
    Bruce,WI

What kind of catfish is this we were fishing walleyes at Red Wing tuesday and caught this it was at least 46″s long but we didn’t have scale to weigh it my kid said it was 40 lbs is that about right? I guessed 30+ quite a fight with a spinning rod and 8# leader!
    Thank Stan wave

Attachments:
    1. cat-fish-2017.jpg

bassn7
    Bruce,WI

Oh my hand is 10″ from thumb to little finger
    Stan

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

It can be any size you want it to be..it’s your fish. )

I bet you didn’t expect that huh? They would fight much more in warmer water but I’m sure she put a bend in that spinning rod!

That should make a lasting memory!

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Well since you asked “is that about right?”. I’ll chime in. A 46” fish is almost always going to be somewhere from 40-50lbs. Usually right around 42-45lbs depending on fat or skinny. Hard to tell, but I think you might have added an extra hand in there though. I’d say that is a 36” fish and about 25-30lbs. But, just one man’s opinion. Like Brian said, it can be whatever you like.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Agree 25-30# <40″ snagged in lips while enjoying its winter dormancy.

Thanks for sharing.

bassn7
    Bruce,WI

Well I’m 6’4″ 350lb and my son always says I make a fish look little ,It’s over 40″ no added 10″ it was 4 hands and a little finger short of 5 hands with a 15lb scale we were no where ready for that big a fish but like I told my son it’s a lot of fun to catch any kind of big fish when it happens This was a special trip as I am scheduled for a triple bypass March 1st. So till I get in a boat in a few months good fishing to all!
    Stan wave

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Congrats on the cat. Nice fish. And here’s wishing you the best and a speedy recovery on your surgery Stan.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

This was a special trip

Every trip is special when you hook into a memory maker like that!

Good Luck with the surgery Stan…and keep that flaty fight in mind when you get a little nervous. ‘course the Dr’s might ask you about the smirk on your face!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.