Kidding Right?

• joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

So you can get a cabin for opener but you can’t camp? Your own tent or camper is more risk than someone else’s cabin?? Why because you might talk to someone around a campfire at the campground but not by the cabin? Gotta laugh at the level of insanity!

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

It’s just a way to reduce overall numbers. Kinda makes sense in certain resort settings that allow people to piggy back camp on seasonal lots.

But by and large I agree with you. State parks should open up the campgrounds… use self service tickets and online purchases for sites.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

In most campgrounds the bathrooms are closed. Self contained RV’s or cabins with a restroom are okay versus using public restrooms. The owner of the KOA that we stay at said the only way she could open the restrooms was to have an attendant that cleaned after every person. That would turn into a 24 hour job in a campground.

lindyrig79

In most campgrounds the bathrooms are closed. Self contained RV’s or cabins with a restroom are okay versus using public restrooms. The owner of the KOA that we stay at said the only way she could open the restrooms was to have an attendant that cleaned after every person. That would turn into a 24 hour job in a campground.

Which is ironic because it’s the exact oppposite here in MN. The state parks are open, including bathrooms, but the campgrounds are closed.

Either way you look at it it’s just an attempt to reduce the overall number of people.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

It’s just a way to reduce overall numbers. Kinda makes sense in certain resort settings that allow people to piggy back camp on seasonal lots.

This could be easily monitored/curbed. I believe the vast majority of people understand that a even a semi-large gathering would cause attention. People just want to do what they enjoy in the outdoors. public bathrooms or not.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Was on the st croix all weekend. Had 2 dnr officers come up to us and I had asked both about camping. They said they are not stopping any one from camping. But no more then 9 people per site. It goes by state park. And county enforcement.

lindyrig79

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>lindyrig79 wrote:</div>

This could be easily monitored/curbed. I believe the vast majority of people understand that a even a semi-large gathering would cause attention. People just want to do what they enjoy in the outdoors. public bathrooms or not.

Again… I agree with you.

But… one other angle to look at. If you were a resort owner you are also taking a certain amount of risk. Would you rather take that risk with a cabin rental and actually make a little money or with a weekend camper for 20 bucks?

There are ways to camp… like Bearcat said above. I’ve been camping the last two weeks by the trout streams.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

Interesting BearCat. I was looking at a resort website that I have been to in the past and they are saying that their cabins are open but their campground (only 14 sites) is closed and “will open when allowed”.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>joe-winter wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>lindyrig79 wrote:</div>

Again… I agree with you.

But… one other angle to look at. If you were a resort owner you are also taking a certain amount of risk. Would you rather take that risk with a cabin rental and actually make a little money or with a weekend camper for 20 bucks?

There are ways to camp… like Bearcat said above. I’ve been camping the last two weeks by the trout streams.

Not arguing with you Lindy. I completely agree with your point on risk. Which is why i assume every resort owner will be requiring waivers to be signed. We are not liable if you get the Big Rona.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

It’s a real pita when it’s comes to specific things that have a direct impact on what we want to do. Like everyone else I have plenty of WTF moments where common sense wasn’t applied.

But then I look at my father that I’m terrified to lose and try to be more understanding. Dumbasses, idiots, stupid, morons…..or however you want to describe politicians are the people “WE” elected. They had to make hard decisions based on limited facts and in most cases did the best they could with the minimal brain power they have. Was every detail discussed and analyzed?? Heck no. They reacted so fast and tried to protect the greater good. So it’s easy for all of us to be over critical. Over the next couple weeks things should get eased up and more educated decisions should be made

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

It’s a real pita when it’s comes to specific things that have a direct impact on what we want to do. Like everyone else I have plenty of WTF moments where common sense wasn’t applied.

But then I look at my father that I’m terrified to lose and try to be more understanding. Dumbasses, idiots, stupid, morons…..or however you want to describe politicians are the people “WE” elected. They had to make hard decisions based on limited facts and in most cases did the best they could with the minimal brain power they have. Was every detail discussed and analyzed?? Heck no. They reacted so fast and tried to protect the greater good. So it’s easy for all of us to be over critical. Over the next couple weeks things should get eased up and more educated decisions should be made

I completely agree that the GOV or the writers of said orders cannot possibly be expected to cover or think of these details. But, when resort owners call to ask specifics they can at that point use logic in their response.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

The emperor(s) have no clothes. They don’t know what they are doing, and just throwing stuff against the wall hoping for the best. Things like logic or common sense are put by the wayside even more than normal during something like this, and questioning it somehow has become relatively taboo too.

Sylvanboat

On May 1 Illinois opened SOME State Parks and state controlled parks. Campgrounds, bathrooms and concessions remain closed. At least I can launch my boat.

B-man

If it’s a public campground I’d just go, especially if it’s remote.

Right now the Apostles Islands are closed at 8pm….

Do you really think a park ranger is driving around and checking the docks and campsites at that hour??

(Rhetorical question, not asking you specifically)

blank

BWCA is closed to overnight camping so we had to cancel our upcoming trip. It is open to day camping. The only sense I can make of it is they don’t want people driving up through the small towns to get there. You can’t social distance much more than spending a few days in the boundary waters in the middle of nowhere. So instead of going to camp out in the woods and do a little fishing, we are most likely going to change plans and go to a resort where the risk is much higher.

Or it’s a federal wilderness area and directions are being given by people in DC? I wonder the same thing about the national forest campgrounds, especially some of the dispersed camping that have nothing but vault toilets.

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

Got out of town Saturday and stopped in at Jay Cooke State Park – self registration, buildings closed w/ exception of one outhouse that had a constant line of 10 or so people waiting. At least 50% of the visitors could not have cared less about social distancing, etc…. the foot bridge over the St. Louis River had signs on one end telling people to wait and not cross when people are crossing from the opposite side….. yeah right.

Don’t know how you control people in that type of setting that don’t either know or care. Even tougher when a lot of kids are present. Kids will be kids.

Gordy’s Hi Hat drive in in Cloquet had a line of at least 50 cars waiting for service….. bummer.

Ice Cap

Gordy’s Hi Hat drive in in Cloquet had a line of at least 50 cars waiting for service….. bummer.

Never could understand the attraction for this place. I’ve had much better burgers at a local bar.

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

“Got out of town Saturday and stopped in at Jay Cooke State Park – self registration, buildings closed w/ exception of one outhouse that had a constant line of 10 or so people waiting.”

Wait – so Jay Cooke was legitimately open for camping? Are other state parks? I would be happy as a clam with only vault toilets – I would just bring my lugable loo anyway.

tswoboda

Dispersed camping on state and national forest land is currently prohibited. Literally camping on public land where there is no campground or facilities or other people.

But hotels are open.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.