Kid Friendly Ice Rod/Reel Combos

• Lund4Life

I am working with a non-profit and hope to put on some free ice fishing opportunities for youth and novices.

I am looking for suggestions for rod/reels that are dummy proof. I think spinning reels would be a nightmare for the group I anticipate participating. Not sure if any of you with kids have any ideas? Does Zebco make an ice rod (lol)?

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

I am working with a non-profit and hope to put on some free ice fishing opportunities for youth and novices.

I am looking for suggestions for rod/reels that are dummy proof. I think spinning reels would be a nightmare for the group I anticipate participating. Not sure if any of you with kids have any ideas? Does Zebco make an ice rod (lol)?

Frankly, some of the short “snoopy” type rods with a spin-cast reel as a thought? Cheap and somewhat kid proof.(As a father of four, NOTHING is completely kid proof).

Ah, hell. What am I saying? The “Schoolie” rods that we use for tip downs are probably also a good option.

What’s your overall plan? Donation to kids, or some sort of a clinic/fishing gathering?

toddrun

The problem I have had with kids and ice fishing, and the Snoopy rods, is the ice build up in the reel. That is why I stick with spinning combos still. Or, I go with the old jiggle stick and hand over hand retrieve.

Lund4Life

The idea for these events is to provide outdoor winter recreational activities to the public (snow shoeing, sledding, ice fishing). We have a Outdoor Center that is based on a lake to work from. So during the designated times we could drill a few holes and have equipment and guidance available. Not some huge event, just providing the opportunity for people to learn.

I like your idea about just buying a Snoopy type pole and using it through the ice. I was wondering the same thing about ice build up, but we wouldn’t have these events during brutal conditions.

Thanks guys.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I gave my son both a spin cast rod and spinning rod at the same time when I was getting him started. (this was open water) He tried the spin cast first than the spinning and stuck with the spinning. He thought it was easier. I also use spinning reels so that might be why he picked that style, to match Dad. If you are not fishing too deep I would think jiggle sticks with a wind up spool would be the easiest.

Where are you located and doing this gathering?

Lund4Life

I gave my son both a spin cast rod and spinning rod at the same time when I was getting him started. (this was open water) He tried the spin cast first than the spinning and stuck with the spinning. He thought it was easier. I also use spinning reels so that might be why he picked that style, to match Dad. If you are not fishing too deep I would think jiggle sticks with a wind up spool would be the easiest.

Where are you located and doing this gathering?

Thanks for the suggestion. These events will take place at Staring Lake Park in Eden Prairie starting in January. Still in the planning stages so nothing is advertised at the moment.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

I’d go with the simple schooly style rods. They’re cheap, effective, and fun.
    If the kids can’t learn the hand over hand retrieve, then teach them the easy way. If the bobber goes down pick up the rod and bring it to me. Set yourself up about as far from the kids as the water is deep. Simple as that. Works everytime as long as the fish isn’t bigger than the kid!

SW Eyes

I’d go with the spin cast as mentioned with acheap ice buster slip bobber. You can get set up for under $15 bucks per kid.

You will inevitably see tangles a spinning reel, and hand lining is tough for young kids to get right. Slip bobbers are the best for young kids to actually get hooked up.

The idea mentioned above (walking to you) is a very good idea and effective, but I’ve found getting to fight with a rod really gets kids excited.

Just my experience with my now 5 year old. Not sure what age range you’re looking at.

Kids love tip ups as well if they’re old enough to get them hang of hand-lining. They can mess around a little and don’t have to stare down the hole and get bored.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

It was easier teaching my grandkids to use a spinning reel at 4 than it was to teach their fathers to use a spincast at the same age.

BackwaterICE

underspin is what I taught my older boys on….it was pretty pointless, once a kid is 6-7 they can learn faster with a spinning reel. My 7 y/o mastered a spinning reel in a couple hours on our pond. My older sons still fumble around from time to time.

For first time ice fishing either an undersprin or spinning reel will work. have them drop the line til they see coils, and it stops, reel up 5-10 turns and they’ll be fine.

blank

I’d go with a spinning reel too. If a kid doesn’t have any experience with another style of reels, they won’t have much difficult in learning it. Plus at this time of year a cheap spinning ice combo is easy to find vs a spincast snoopy rod.

Plus, you won’t be setting them up to do this after they graduate from a spincast.

michael keehr

The sad thing about that picture is if that is on a launch on mille lacs that is the person guaranteed to get the big fish pot. Lol

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

Lund4Life, if you need another auger or two to help drilling holes PM me. I live in West Bloomington and would be willing to help out if need be. Great idea!

Ripjiggen

I’d go with a spinning reel too. If a kid doesn’t have any experience with another style of reels, they won’t have much difficult in learning it. Plus at this time of year a cheap spinning ice combo is easy to find vs a spincast snoopy rod.

Plus, you won’t be setting them up to do this after they graduate from a spincast.

Or worse they grow up fishing like this. rotflol

Attachments:
    1. 2C7F2934-6133-4D36-B8A7-051AA2DEB43B.jpeg

toddrun

Just to note, Scheels has a good deal on a Dave Genz spinning combo right now, $19.99

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Last week Sheels had combos from 13 fishing for $15. They would probably give discount off that if you explain that it is for kids.

Lund4Life

Awesome. Good stuff to follow up on. Thanks!

Steve Johnson

I help with a kids fishing day, and we give away about 200 outfits a year. We settled on the “Dock Demon” of something similar. Some of them came spooled up with terrible heavy line, so now we have a spooling party the week before, and wind them up with nice new 6 lb. line. They are spinning rods, with a durable fiberglass rod.We get them from a distributor, in big boxes with about 20 combos per box. They don’t need to cast, and you can put the handle on either side of a spinning rod if you need to.

Jordan VanHeel

Hey Lund,
    If you are still looking for some rods I would love to donate some to you. Let me know if I can help you out?
    Thanks
    Jordan

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.