Keel Sinker/Crawler Harness Trolling Setup

• waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Want to expand my skill base and plan on doing more deeper (18+ ft.) trolling later this summer with keel sinkers and crawler harnesses. I am curious for those of you that do, what rods/reels are you using? I currently have a fair number of medium glass (daiwa wilderness, shimano tdr, etc.) trolling rods set up with line counters and 10-20 lb test for great lakes trolling, and these should work for what I’m trying to do, right? My only concern was whether or not those glass trolling rods would have too much give pulling rigs at slower speeds.

Thanks for the advice!

Karry Kyllo

I would guess that many if not all of the rods that you have set up for trolling would work. I’ve run heavy snap weights with similar trolling rods for years and troll down to 30 or so feet. I think that the flexibility of your rods which is I assume what you mean when you talk about “give” can actually be a good thing leading to a higher number of hookups.
    If nothing else, try what you have first and if you don’t like any of them, at least you’ll know what you do want before you buy new rods.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.