Kayak Fishing Mississippi River Walleye

• Brad Michelson

Anybody have experience Kayak Fishing Mississippi River Iowa/Wisconsin/Illinois border? Thinking about trying it but looking for some tips first. TIA

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

While I was use to target walleye almost exclusively with the ‘17 Lund… since getting my Hobie Outback a couple years ago, the big boat has not seen the river. I don’t get there often (SE WI) but now I fish for whatever is willing to play. I spend most of my time in backwaters or select quiet areas.
    The beauty of fishing in the kayak is how simply great the experience is…. I see a rocky shoreline, I may cast cranks for bass or walleye. A panfish feeling tree…. Now I’m hunting for crappie. Because you have less range, you fish for what the river gives you. In my experience- nothing beats it. Become flexible and simply enjoy it all. My best times have been in shallow back areas, see no one and knowing big boats can’t get to where I am. The experience is awesome…. Then finding fish willing to play makes it even better. Having the kayak has greatly changed my expectations…. And don’t get me wrong, fishing can be great when you slow down and target fishy areas in a different manner.

buschman
    Pool 2

I used to fish out of a solo bell marlin canoe quite a bit.

Few tips…

Bring an anchor but a small one (8 lbs) so it is easy to pull in and out of the canoe. Will come in handy if your walleye fishing.

Use a vexilar/marcum ice unit for your depth finder. My canoe was Kevlar and I could read depth and fish right though the bottom of the canoe. You don’t have to put it in the water and get solid readings. If you put a dab of Vaseline on the bottom of the canoe and set your transducer to it there. Works great! Not sure what material your kayak is but give it a try.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.