Crappies in kabatogama?

• eauclaireboys
    Eau Claire wi

Hi all! I am thinking of taking are first trip to lake kabatogama.

I have fished rainy the last 3 yrs and done good on eye’s but have never found the slabs. I’ve been told we are usually to late.

Will there be any crappies to be had mid June if we make the trip.
    Thanks for your help.

JasonP
    Twin Cities

I’ve heard they can be found near the Ash River area. I tried in May without success.

Jason

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

Try a summer pattern for the walleyes
    The bay just inside the Ash River for crappies

Kabetogama

Recent heavy winds and rain kept many anglers off the water, but those that did venture out were generally rewarded with a good bite. Lots of saugers and northern pike, some jumbo perch, and a few walleye were being reported. Most fish were pulled from less than 12 feet of water, or from depths of 26-30 feet. Various techniques worked for anglers fishing the shallows: tossing and retrieving a light 1/8- to 1/4-ounce jig tipped with minnow or leech, slowly drifting or trolling a slip sinker rig, or fishing a husky jerk. Jig and minnow anglers did well in the deeper waters when working the windward shorelines and reef edges. Shiners have been best in the shallows; rainbows and fathead minnows in the deeper waters. The west end of Lake Kabetogama remains the most active area, especially the soft bottom and weed edges from Tom Cod east to Sugarbush. Northern pike are hitting almost anything thrown their way. Crappies can be found using minnows in 8 feet of water or less. Anglers fishing Lake Namakan should check out Tar Point, Cemetery Island and Junction Bay on the Kabetogama end of the lake. 800-524-9085

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.