K.I.S.S. Upper Tampa Bay

• mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Josh and I went out fishing for the third time this year. I don’t know his member name. We were searching for reds in upper Tampa Bay and had a lot of spots researched and picked out.

We found most of the first areas shallow and void of grass, so we decided to hit some bridges. We absolutely slaughtered the catfish and sting rays :|. So we spent most of the running around and not finding the desired species.

We decided to just spend the last hour in the canal next to the marina before bringing the boat in. The creek didn’t look like much, pretty much devoid of grass and life in general. The first couple of fish again were catfish and it was looking like that was going to be it.

I was working my shrimp next to the bank with the tide pretty low. Then it happened. I locked into a redfish. Then I missed another that had to be a red or snook. By now we are experts on catfish bites and can rule them out. Then Josh caught his first red ever and it was a nice one. He caught it despite my rusty netting skills.

The moral of the story is when planning out a trip, keep it simple. Don’t overlook a good spot just because it’s near the launch and you feel like you have to drive 10 miles to find fish. And sometimes the most average looking spots are better than those that look prime on Google maps and your chart.

Now my mind can’t help but wonder how the day would have gone had we stuck by the marina.

Attachments:
    1. PXL_20201121_214122717.jpg

2. PXL_20201121_214110499.jpg

3. PXL_20201121_213004615.jpg

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Nice work! I fished Naples Bay last Spring and had a blast. Reds and Snook among others. Looks like a fun day.

joshd
    Minnetonka

Nice Writeup MPLSPUG. It’s funny I met you down here by seeing BK’s Facebook post talking about Florida fishing. We can try to share on here some saltwater outings as I learned so much about fishing the Croix/Miss for Catfish and Walleye on this forum for my many years in MN.

LabDaddy1

How much ice did you have to break to get out there, pug and josh?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

2 bags

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.