k drill or nils?

• UPOW

This might have been asked before but, would you go with the clam plate and the nils or the k drill?

castle-rock-clown

If drilling pristine ice the nills is a great choice. If ice is dirty or your opening old holes then the k-drill rocks.

hamms
    Mn

I can only speak for the Nils which has drilled a ton of holes for me. That k drill looks like a great option too.

ejdelvo28

Nils for smooth, effortless cutting, k-drill for durability.

If you don’t need an 8″, folks I know use the 160mm nova headed synthetic strike master hand drill with their drills too. I liked mine so much I got a 2nd identical setup. I like that the composite head ensures the proper blade angle, even when abused.

ffib

cant speak for the k drill, but love my nils.

Justin Carlson
    Lennox SD

I really like my K Drill. The only reason I don’t have a Clam plate is I need the same electric drill to put the anchors in to hold my shack down. Other than that I would probably have the clam plate too.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Personally I do not have any experience with the k drill. I have an 8 inch nils and I love it. I usually just crank it by hand when the ice is still relativity thin and I never feel under powered when it comes to drilling holes all day. I do have the option of attaching a hand drill and it works flawlessly. Either way I do not think you will be disappointed waytogo

toursauce32
    West Fargo, ND

I have run the K-Drill 8″ for 3 years and love it. I just ordered the 6″ bit from Reeds for $189 2 weeks ago and wow do I love the 6″. It is nice to have both bits for different uses. I primarily fish for Crappie/Bluegills on my home lake so the 6″ is awesome. I fished Christmas Eve and cut 35-40 holes on 1 battery in 10″ of ice. K-drill is my recommendation!

jarrod holbrook

I own the nils and have used a kdrill. I think the k drill has the advantage. They have replacement blades where the nils only has a few “factory authorized” places to get them sharpened. The weight factor plays in too. I love my nils, but it costs shipping, $30, and lead time to get it sharpened. Another thing I learned with my nils is that they either work or they don’t. When they get dull they just quit… period. Now on the other hand, when sharp they are sweeeeeet!

404 ERROR
    MN

Both are great augers. I use a 6″ Nils with my cordless drill and my 8″ with a Tanaka Power head. My brother uses his 8″ K-drill and cordless and can drill just as fast as my Nils. If I didn’t already have a Nils gas auger, I probably would have bought the K-drill bit. I just like the idea of screaming through the ice with a 6″ bit on my power head once the ice gets thick. Either way the cookie crumbles, you will be happy.

JOHN KULCSAR

Clam Plate, 6″ Nils & DeWalt Cordless: Can’t be Beat

Attachments:
    1. Nils-Convertible-Auger-with-Clam-Plate-DeWalt-Cordless-Drill.jpg

Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, MN

Hey John Kulcsar,

How did you attach that Nils to the Clam drill plate??? Looking to do something like that myself

JOHN KULCSAR

in order to attach the Nils to the Clam Plate, you must make or purchase and adaptor piece. A local ice buddy made one up for me., but I’ve seen them on Ebay and from Reeds, Cabela’s, & Bass Pro Shops too.

John Timm

I’ll race ya. Here you go.

red bricks
    Mpls, MN

I have a K-drill with a Milwaukee drill. I use the handle that comes with the drill. Just like in the video above. I cant figure out why anyone would need that Clam plate to put the drill on and then connect that to the auger? Seems like a completely extra unnecessary part of the system that would add weight. I must be missing something

castle-rock-clown

Has anyone ever needed to resharpen their K-Drill blades?

I cant figure out why anyone would need that Clam plate to put the drill on and then connect that to the auger? Seems like a completely extra unnecessary part of the system that would add weight. I must be missing something

I ran the Bosch 36v drill that was initially suggested as the best drill by the Kdrill folks, it was big beefy and had a good side handle. The drill sucked, the batteries were terrible when cold. I ran my first Fuel for over a year without a plate, only using the side handle. The problem is, if you don’t constantly tighten the side handle, it will get loose and will likely damage the drill if operated that way. I had to get a drill repaired because the metalloy cracked for this reason. I got tired of constantly reminding folks to tighten the handle, so I put one of my fuel setups on a 2nd gen clam plate. The drill plate is nice, I like the chuck being out of the equation. IMO, It’s much safer for kids and small humans to operate. The smurf plate also keeps the drill off the ice and snow. I figured I’d primarily run the unit only using the chuck adapter, but found I preferred running the plate when punching lots of holes.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Nice to have the drill plate handle and trigger, also helps absorbing the torque in stead of the drill chuck, also don’t have to worry about Chuck loosening up. To each their own.

bee
    Maine

Plane Jane Mora. Just as good and way less cost.

castle-rock-clown

Nice to have the drill plate handle and trigger, also helps absorbing the torque in stead of the drill chuck, also don’t have to worry about Chuck loosening up. To each their own.

When I fish with Chuck I need to get a few beers in him before he loosens up.

milemark_714

Has anyone ever needed to resharpen their K-Drill blades?

I am wondering myself,which blades are more durable in the long run.I got the 6″,so far it is everything it is supposed to be.

Brandon P

fishwater- Ever have this happen to your milwaukee? This happened on my second time out. I also had the handle loosen up on me several times.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_4569-1.jpg

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I am just starting to look into these drill auger kits so I don’t have all of the info… I also just happen to be interested in investing in a good hand auger this year. Ive read plenty of places that the Nils is the best hand auger hands down so I would like to get that. Before I invest in a Nils hand auger I would like to know if i can use that bit later with a drill. Im having a hard to piecing this together. I can see that Nils sells a bit that fits with your drill but it doesn’t look like the same bit that is used with the hand auger. Can you by the Nils hand auger and also use that with a drill through some sort of conversion kit or can you only use a drill with the special auger bit designed for use with drills? Thanks

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.