K-Drill does not float!

• Mocha
    Park Rapids

For some reason I thought the k-drill floated since they have foam at the top of the drill. Well it does not float as I found out on the first hole last Saturday. But when I put my camera down to look it was sitting on the bottom standing straight up. I assume the foam around the top of the drill made it stand up. I was able to put down a big treble hook with several big split shots and hooked the foam with the very first try and up the hole it came. Nice!

Wharf Rat
    Mahtomedi

Really? I assumed it would float! Just used mine for the first time last weekend. Lucky it didn’t slip off I guess.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

Glad you were able to get it back. I am sure that was the best thing you caught that whole day. doah

404 ERROR
    MN

I tested floatation on a friend of mines right after he got it, it also did not float. I tried loading up my 6″ Nils bit with a ton of pipe insulation in hopes of getting it to float, no luck. I do not like the disc idea and the long bolt idea, yeah, I can see that getting caught in my coat or bibs…Seems like my only option for securing it would be the Kovac Ice Master style with plastic disc and bungee…

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

What size bit did you have? I was told the 6″ floats….

Mocha
    Park Rapids

Mine is the 8″ and is on its 4th season and this is the first time I did not check the chuck to make sure it was tight. Love the K-Drill!

castle-rock-clown

Thanks for that heads up. My 8″ is currently firmly attatched to a Stikemaster Solo powerhead and the float is off. I almost bought a 6″ K-Drill at the Ice Show and was going to have it as backup with my Milwaukee drill driver, But I bought a Vex FL22 instead…

hnd

i tested it and it bobbed so it at least gave you a shot at getting it. i guess thats all i can hope for lol.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

What size bit did you have? I was told the 6″ floats….

There’s a promo video on Youtube with Tom Zenanko that claims it floats too. Is this marketing misleading frown frown frown ?

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

Both the promo video and the manual claim they float…

MNSmallieGuy
    Minnesota

I have a 6″ K drill and it floats.

Rivergills
    Wisconsin

Just called and talked directly to AWC wondering if it would still float when adding the 1′ extension and they said they actually tie a rope on and throw these augers in and test them and they do float even with the 1′ extension on. He did say if you let them sit in the water that the drill assembly could possibly fill with water and effect how long it will float. Anyway tried one out and they drill smooooth no catching at the bottom whats so ever and very clean hole.. no slush!

So has anyone actually tied a rope on and put one in a hole to see???
    Thinking about buying one but would be nice to know from a actual user.

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

I just bought one of these last week and HOLY MOLY it’s awesome! At any rate I read this post and now a little concerned. I’ve been reassured that it will indeed float, but now I’m going to have to do my own test. Either way, what a sweet unit!

Mocha
    Park Rapids

Just called and talked directly AWC wondering if it would still float when adding the 1′ extension and they said they actually tie a rope on and throw these augers in and test them and they do float even with the 1′ extension on. He did say if you let them sit in the water that the drill assembly could possibly fill with water and effect how long it will float. Anyway tried one out and they drill smooooth no catching at the bottom whats so ever and very clean hole.. no slush!

So has anyone actually tied a rope on and put one in a hole to see???
    Thinking about buying one but would be nice to know from a actual user.

Wish I would have taken a screen shot and could send it to AWC for review!

bradl110

What speed level do you guys use the k-drill at to get the best battery life and still be able to drill quick enough. I bought a brand new Milwaukee M-18 hammer and changed both my batteries fully charged and i only seemed to get 30 holes per battery. That was with 11 inches of ice….

Mocha
    Park Rapids

30 holes does not sound too bad but in the instructions from K-Drill you should have your drill set to speed #1.

Also your drill should have the clutch set to the “drill” position.

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

Brad is yours the Fuel M18 ? That doesn’t seem right you should’ve gotten all the holes with 1 battery. Also you drilling 6″ or 8″ holes.

Tom Wilson
    walker mn

That’s terrible news!! Now I have to check it all the time. Sweet drill though.

castle-rock-clown

when I use my tool I’m glad it’s designed to have a knob
    on the end…that way when I use it my hand doesn’t slip off and hit me in the forehead.

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

when I use my tool I’m glad it’s designed to have a knob
    on the end…that way when I use it my hand doesn’t slip off and hit me in the forehead.

But does if float if submerged?

Mocha
    Park Rapids

Here’s the scoop….
    Talked with KDrill today and they said they are not sure why my older model sank to the bottom but they are sending me additional foam to glue to my current foam. Hope that takes care of it but I will always have my camera ready just in case……

TIM NORGREN

i cut s hole in a frisbee and put it on top of foam for added protection

castle-rock-clown

Is the frisbee strong enough to keep the Milwaukee drill off the ice/snow if laid on it’s side, if it does, thats an added bonus.

Mocha
    Park Rapids

i cut s hole in a frisbee and put it on top of foam for added protection

Not a bad idea!

John Fink

First time I used mine about 3 years ago it came off the drill chuck not tight my buddy said there goes a couple hundred bucks but it floated like they said it would

WarEagle

Get the Frisbee!I use that with mine and it works great!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.