Just for Glenn….

• Jimmy Jones

Local stores have had asparagus at less than a buck a pound lately and not only have we been eating it a couple times a week, but I did up a couple jars pickled. Ready in a couple weeks.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1659-scaled.jpeg

CaptainMusky

Love asparagus. Never ate it growing up, but I remember the first time and every time since being alarmed when I would take a leak after eating it.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Local stores have had asparagus at less than a buck a pound lately and not only have we been eating it a couple times a week, but I did up a couple jars pickled. Ready in a couple weeks.

i’ll have to look. i work a grocery store in town. but i’d bet that store aint got it for less then a buck a pound!!!!!! doah chased

thanks bud!!!!!!! peace peace

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Love that smell of asparagus whizz. shock

Jimmy Jones

Its hard to beat asparagus right out of the garden raw. I’ve been grilling it of late and love it that way. Carrots and green beans are fantastic grilled too. Pickled its a real treat. Ma likes a couple stalks in a bloody mary.

Our Fresh Tyme store is running it at $.99/lb right now, and Fareway has it at $.98/lb. I’ve got another three bunches in the fridge right now too.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Its hard to beat asparagus right out of the garden raw. I’ve been grilling it of late and love it that way. Carrots and green beans are fantastic grilled too. Pickled its a real treat. Ma likes a couple stalks in a bloody mary.

Our Fresh Tyme store is running it at $.99/lb right now, and Fareway has it at $.98/lb. I’ve got another three bunches in the fridge right now too.

yep raw straight from the garden…..although i like washing it first…dont need the grit!!!!! rotflol grilled is next best.

i’ve pickled it before but quit. Jimmy have you ever blanched it and froze it??? just talked to a friend who says he does it, tasted just like fresh??/ i may try some that way!!

JEREMY
    BP

Jimmy have you ever blanched it and froze it??? just talked to a friend who says he does it, tasted just like fresh??/ i may try some that way!!

May taste kind of fresh but texture sucks.

Brad Dimond

Great on the grill or roasted in the oven. We often will cook chicken breast on a sheet pan with some combination of asparagus carrots, green beans and potatoes.

Trying to get a good pickled green bean recipe. What brine do you use for pickling asparagus?

Jimmy Jones

Trying to get a good pickled green bean recipe. What brine do you use for pickling asparagus?

Brad, I use a brine for most all of my pickling that is based on 1/4’s. If I use a cup of water, I use 1/4 cup of cider vinegar and 1/2 of a 1/8 cup measure [1/16 cup] of canning salt. If you’re doing a large batch of pickles, use a gallon od water, 1 quart of vinegar and a cup of the salt. Boil until the salt is dissolved. The brine can be sweetened with sugar if desired or needed. Its not hyper salty and is a great all-around brine for pickling any veggies.

picklerick
    Central WI

It’s kind of tedious, but I like to take a veggie peeler to asparagus spears and make long strips. Makes a great raw salad/slaw.

Brad Dimond

Brad, I use a brine for most all of my pickling that is based on 1/4’s. If I use a cup of water, I use 1/4 cup of cider vinegar and 1/2 of a 1/8 cup measure [1/16 cup] of canning salt. If you’re doing a large batch of pickles, use a gallon od water, 1 quart of vinegar and a cup of the salt. Boil until the salt is dissolved. The brine can be sweetened with sugar if desired or needed. Its not hyper salty and is a great all-around brine for pickling any veggies.

Thanks. I think I’ve been using too much vinegar.

Jimmy Jones

May taste kind of fresh but texture sucks.

I never freeze asparagus…. way too tender for freezing. Turns to mush when its cooked.

David Anderson
    Dayton, MN

Jimmy, Anyway you can give the address of these 2 stores, I don’t remember them being near here and would like to pick some up this afternoon. Thanks

Jimmy Jones

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jimmy Jones wrote:</div>

Jimmy, Anyway you can give the address of these 2 stores, I don’t remember them being near here and would like to pick some up this afternoon. Thanks

I’m in Rochester David. The Fresh Tyme is a mile away, the Fareway is in Byron.

David Anderson
    Dayton, MN

I’m in Rochester David. The Fresh Tyme is a mile away, the Fareway is in Byron.
    [/quote]

Thanks, I apologize, I didn’t catch your location under your name, must be hidden on my computer. That’s at least a 2 hours drive, cost me more in gas than the regular price. I looked Fresh Tyme and they have a store in Plymouth I’ll have to check out.

Jimmy Jones

I looked Fresh Tyme and they have a store in Plymouth I’ll have to check out.

I’m getting mine there and its been super nice stuff. I’m not certain what Ma has planned for dinner but it may be on the menu again.

If you go to Fresh Tyme, they have green beans for the same price per pound. We’re going to grab a couple pounds of those too.

Swimjiggin
    Burnsville/Willmar

Thanks for the heads up, we go thru quite a bit also, lately in the oven but usually grilled. Last summer I got called for a random at work and sure enough we had asparagus the night before. The nurse and I had a good chuckle afterwards.

robby
    Quad Cities

Yum

Gregg Gunter

It’s kind of tedious, but I like to take a veggie peeler to asparagus spears and make long strips. Makes a great raw salad/slaw.

I like it raw too. The whole stalk or for salad then just the tips.

Scenic

And here I was all excited because they have been running it on sale for $1.99/lb up here and then this week it went to $1.49/lb. I bought as much as I can use this week. Pickled asparagus is good stuff.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.